Author

Topic: $3.6 Billion in Bitcoin Options Expire Friday April 30 2021 (Read 135 times)

Activity: 1610
Merit: 103
The OGz Club
$3.6 Billion in Bitcoin Options Expire Friday April 30 2021

Does anyone have any information on how this is playing out in real time right now?

Bitcoin is currently on a sideways basis, although currently it is down -5%, I believe it won't be below $ 50k anymore,
because there is no bearish pattern for BTC and ready to fly again, yes market sentiment is bullish, take it easy,
even though CME is expired at the end of the month Bitcoin will always experience an increase,
so it is only natural that it is corrected and that's when it is time to buy
Activity: 2240
Merit: 953
Temporary forum vacation
This is not the first time that a big amount of Bitcoin options have expired. This is not something that would shake Bitcoin. We should stop worrying about things that happens every now and then. Bitcoin options hitting their expiry dates are normal.

And also, $3.6 billion worth of expiring Bitcoin futures does not mean it will be an amount getting away from Bitcoin for good. Much of it will probably just re-enter Bitcoin.

Options actually does seem to have an impact on Bitcoin price, even though as you say it is not the first time. Just look at the huge price change every time options expire in this amount (a day or two after). Natural reaction or weird? Though your point of money entering or exiting BTC is not valid right? Because options not all are physically settled even:)

Activity: 1302
Merit: 522
This is not the first time that a big amount of Bitcoin options have expired. This is not something that would shake Bitcoin. We should stop worrying about things that happens every now and then. Bitcoin options hitting their expiry dates are normal.

Yeah, every month we have this kind of events, and that's why we almost see the price going down when we it is about to happen. Fortunately, bitcoin will bounce back after the expirations.

And also, $3.6 billion worth of expiring Bitcoin futures does not mean it will be an amount getting away from Bitcoin for good. Much of it will probably just re-enter Bitcoin.

Definitely, this is trading, (or others may say gambling), so they will bet again on what will be the future price of bitcoin. But usually though, they always bet that the price will go down. But as I have said, the effect is just short term as bitcoin is so resilient that it will recover sooner than expected.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 366

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
$3.6 Billion have no effect of a market with about $41,536,074,278 24 hour volums will be no more than few% change.
Bitcoin Options work on shortening the price, meaning that some try to take advantage of the opportunity and influence the price of bitcoin to achieve some gains, but the high trading volumes in the market make it difficult for manipulation market to be significant to achieve Benefit from it.
Activity: 2618
Merit: 550

Does anyone have any information on how this is playing out in real time right now?

Excuse me if I am looking like a fool, but I am at the beginning in Bitcoin and all of cryptocurrencies.
What do you mean by Bitcoin options expire?
I have an account on Coinbase, BTC 0.00054......doesnt matter, i know. This will affect me somehow?
Thank you

"Options are financial derivatives. This means that the options market is dictated by the underlying asset – which, in this case, is Bitcoin. The overarching concept of options is as follows: By holding an options contract, you have the 'right', but not the 'obligation', to buy or sell the respective asset

There are two basic types of options, these are ‘call’ and put’ options. Call option holders have the opportunity to buy an asset at a fixed price within a certain time window, whereas put options have the opportunity to sell at a fixed price during a certain time window.

When buying Bitcoin options, investors pay a premium for the chance to buy or sell Bitcoin at a set price in future, essentially providing a clever way to long or short BTC, giving owners an opportunity to make gains in a declining market, and multiply their profits in a bull market."

from https://jeangalea.com/

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

Excuse me if I am looking like a fool, but I am at the beginning in Bitcoin and all of cryptocurrencies.
What do you mean by Bitcoin options expire?
I have an account on Coinbase, BTC 0.00054......doesnt matter, i know. This will affect me somehow?
Thank you
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
This options expiry was actually in some way useful compared to the previous expirys. The previous expiry all have a max pain which was far away from the spot price. This expiry had a max pain of $54K which was around were we traded around expiry time.

So how does this help you? Well it means that a week prior, the market makers might of brought BTC down to $54K which is max pain. When the options expired they had to close their hedge and we went right back up. Hence it would of been a good trade if you followed this months option expiry.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
About a month ago we had as much as $6 billion in options and nothing drastic happened - and some today speculate that the last big drop could be linked to an expiration of options - which is of course very unlikely given that we know some other things played their part in that small correction.

Of course, the possibility of speculation should not be ruled out when it comes to so much money, but even that few billion is not something that can significantly affect the price of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1344
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
You can use Bybt. Bybt is cryptocurrency trading information, which is very useful for every cryptocurrency traders out there.

Speaking of Bitcoin options, Bybt got some data or information about it, you can check it on this page: https://www.bybt.com/options
On that page, you can see different open interest data from different exchanges.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353

Not sure if we can see the data real time though.

But as far as the effect, it seems it has been price in already when we hit $47,500. And then in the 24 hours prior to the expirations, the price did dive to $52,000-$53,000 but that's about it. And then we have bounce back to $57,000 today. So we look forward in May, another all time high, it's just a question on what will it be this time, I wouldn't be surprised to see numbers around $70,000.
Activity: 1484
Merit: 277

This is the most awaited part after April 30 will could be a positive or negative outcome, and since the market tries to recover after the dip. We're almost touching below $50k, but still bitcoin remains stronger even though the resistance is hard to break. Recently the price played so significant at around $56k to $57k range which is potentially heading forward at $60k sooner.
Activity: 2618
Merit: 550

Jump to: