Author

Topic: 5850 + 7870 (Read 518 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
April 20, 2013, 02:05:09 AM
Hi!

New on the board and looking forward to working and helping as much as I can in the forum. Although I am a newbie I was able to get my self 4 cards that I am hoping for 2300mhz. I still have lots of work ahead!

One of the first machines that I have been working will need to run 2 cards in it.It is currently running nice and steady on a HD Radeon 5850 at 350mhz with cgminer 2.11.4 amd Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Here are my current card details:

The Temp is at 70C
GPU clock at 98%
Fan speed 86% - 4118RPM give or take a few RPM
Core clock 900Mhz
Memory clock: 300Mhz

I read on the forum through several posts that the Catalyst 10.11 works best with the HD 5850, so I donwloaded and installed Catalyst 10.11 with Driver: 8.14.10.0791 and SDK 1.2.

I was able to get my hands on a Visiontek Radeon 7870  and want to incorporate into this computer currently running the 5850. My first question would be what SDK version should I run? 2.6 2.8 ? Should I install it then plug in the card?

Thinking ahead that my new HD 7970 would not run on that catalyst software. I then decided to upgraded to the latest driver via the auto driver diagnose from the AND driver section download. After installing and rebooting I ran CG miner again and the driver update had no influence on the amount of mhashes.

I did not down load the SDK 2.8 but im not sure if the auto download from AMD installed it.

How would I verify my SDK Version?

What is the best way to add the new Visiontek Radeon 7970 to the computer running the HD 5850? What would the best and most eficient way be to get this computer to run booth cards.

From what I have read (please correct me if I am wrong)

1- Install the card in the computer
2- I need to install all the latest drivers, catalyst, SDK either 2.6  or 2.8
3- Hook up the dvi/vga cable and then to its monitor
4- Either hook up an additional monitor to the new card or create a DVI / VGA dummy like so: http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug
5- Run CGminer so that it sees the new card and hopefully it sets it up automatically.

How off am I with this? I would really appreciate some feedback.

Cheers!

Erik
Jump to: