Author

Topic: 5970 4gb issues.. (Read 447 times)

Activity: 346
Merit: 255
November 13, 2013, 12:39:59 PM
Good luck - let us know how it turns out  Smiley
Activity: 281
Merit: 250
November 13, 2013, 11:43:23 AM
Did you insert the cards while your system was powered on??

heh no - definitely not

That`s kinda weird

indeed, you will get no argument from me on that! - I went through the full seven stages when both my cards broke after the FW update

Denial - "naa its not broken, its just err.. sleeping" Undecided
Anger - "Damn e-bay tat, never worked in the first place! REFUND WARPATH" Angry
Bargaining - "If you boot now I will never firmware you again - promise" Lips sealed
Guilt - "...should never have spent all this money, tins of beans for tea for the next month..." Sad
Depression - "I give up - its broken and there is NOTHING I can do to fix it, I wonder how much copper water-blocks are going for..." Cry
Acceptance and Hope - "ok then. What if I try something crazy, (...3 hours later...) OH **** ITS WORKING! woohoo!" Grin

The process almost led me to me believe that the cards had become stuck and needed to be re-initialized via the driver re-install, but I doubt that's how they actually work...

FR

That was spot on. That damn seller.. Well, i`m now uninstalling drivers and then we will see. Tried starting guiminer, and i found 2 cypress gpus. But not actualy working. Console said CHECK HARDWARE. So i`m almost one step closer now. Smiley Thanks. If this works, i will buy several lotterytickets today. :p
November 13, 2013, 11:17:27 AM
Did you insert the cards while your system was powered on??

heh no - definitely not

That`s kinda weird

indeed, you will get no argument from me on that! - I went through the full seven stages when both my cards broke after the FW update

Denial - "naa its not broken, its just err.. sleeping" Undecided
Anger - "Damn e-bay tat, never worked in the first place! REFUND WARPATH" Angry
Bargaining - "If you boot now I will never firmware you again - promise" Lips sealed
Guilt - "...should never have spent all this money, tins of beans for tea for the next month..." Sad
Depression - "I give up - its broken and there is NOTHING I can do to fix it, I wonder how much copper water-blocks are going for..." Cry
Acceptance and Hope - "ok then. What if I try something crazy, (...3 hours later...) OH **** ITS WORKING! woohoo!" Grin

The process almost led me to me believe that the cards had become stuck and needed to be re-initialized via the driver re-install, but I doubt that's how they actually work...

FR
November 13, 2013, 10:48:04 AM
It will not boot up, and i have tried different mobos and have
plenty of power for it. Even after a successful bios flash, it will not boot.

I have had exactly the same issue with my 2 5970s after a seemingly successful FW flash - The only thing that got me back up and running was to install yet another card (I used an Asus HD 5450 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express) and use that card to drive the monitor on its own. Then by adding the 5970s back one at a time (under Windows) full driver un-install and re-install for each card I eventually ended up with both cards working fine and was able to remove the 5450.

There may have been a few steps in that sequence that were not required, however it fixed the issue you are describing - and has worked ever since.

Hope that's useful

FR

That`s kinda weird, because this is clearly not a problem with drivers. Did you insert the cards while your system was powered on??
November 13, 2013, 10:07:03 AM
It will not boot up, and i have tried different mobos and have
plenty of power for it. Even after a successful bios flash, it will not boot.

I have had exactly the same issue with my 2 5970s after a seemingly successful FW flash - The only thing that got me back up and running was to install yet another card (I used an Asus HD 5450 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express) and use that card to drive the monitor on its own. Then by adding the 5970s back one at a time (under Windows) full driver un-install and re-install for each card I eventually ended up with both cards working fine and was able to remove the 5450.

There may have been a few steps in that sequence that were not required, however it fixed the issue you are describing - and has worked ever since.

Hope that's useful

FR

November 13, 2013, 09:57:52 AM
Hi.

I`m new to troubbleshooting gpu`s, and i have an issue with a 5970 4gb. It will not boot up, and i have tried different mobos and have
plenty of power for it. Even after a successfull bios flash, it will not boot. Can the card still be dead if i can flash both gpu`s sucessfully?
If anyone have some theories or solutions i would be gratefull. thanks.  Cry

When you mention it can't boot do you mean you cannot even enter window?

Yes, the system powers on, but the screen is black. No startupscreen. But the screen turns on, so it must be getting some kind of signal i guess.
(I used a 7870 to boot up and flash the 5970.)

Sounds like the PWM modules and/or caps are bad. But try to troubleshoot the hardware around it, ie. the CPU, RAM, PSU, Motherboard, etc...Before you come to the conclusion it's a dead GPU card. Swap a good card to see if the system boots....I just had two of my three GPU's die on me: HD5870 and HD5850. I'm left with just a HD5870 now... Sad

I`m afraid it`s my gpu. The whole system workes fine with a 7870 and with a 7950. I`s also fitted with a waterblock, so it`s kinda sad it`s most likely dead..
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
November 13, 2013, 09:49:36 AM
Hi.

I`m new to troubbleshooting gpu`s, and i have an issue with a 5970 4gb. It will not boot up, and i have tried different mobos and have
plenty of power for it. Even after a successfull bios flash, it will not boot. Can the card still be dead if i can flash both gpu`s sucessfully?

Yes, the system powers on, but the screen is black. No startupscreen. But the screen turns on, so it must be getting some kind of signal i guess.

Sounds like the PWM modules and/or caps are bad. But try to troubleshoot the hardware around it, ie. the CPU, RAM, PSU, Motherboard, etc...Before you come to the conclusion it's a dead GPU card. Swap a good card to see if the system boots....I just had two of my three GPU's die on me: HD5870 and HD5850. I'm left with just a HD5870 now... Sad
November 13, 2013, 09:25:58 AM
Hi.

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1101
November 13, 2013, 08:59:13 AM
Hi.

November 13, 2013, 07:55:19 AM
Hi.

Jump to: