Author

Topic: 5970 problems. (cgminer + fan, Xp/7 compatibility) (Read 1861 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
True, I'm just really curious what those "HW:" errors actually mean.

It means the GPU is failing to properly complete a hash.  It is aborting and returning pure garbage as a result.  Usually it means either a defective card or overclocking too hard.  The fact that it goes away w/ Windows 7 would seem to indicate that isn't the reason.
Activity: 369
Merit: 250
True, I'm just really curious what those "HW:" errors actually mean.
donator
Gerald Davis
Very unlikely it is PSU.  PSU would hard trip and system would reboot without warning.
Is there any possible chance it could be related to the power supply?  I have run the 6870 on that rig without a problem, however.
On #1 I have found setting the fan to a high fixed value and then using auto-gpu to vary clock based on temp works better w/ dual GPU cards.  Then again I got my 5970s in the garage so I don't care how noisy they are.
will try this, thanks

On #2 why use Windows XP especially when you have access to Windows 7?
I bought the OEM copy, so I can't transfer it. :/  Anyway I have XP on my rig.
donator
Gerald Davis
On #1 I have found setting the fan to a high fixed value and then using auto-gpu to vary clock based on temp works better w/ dual GPU cards.  Then again I got my 5970s in the garage so I don't care how noisy they are.

On #2 why use Windows XP especially when you have access to Windows 7?
I have two problems:
1) When I try to use autofan in cgminer with my 5970 and 6870 in the same computer, only the 6870 is controlled.  I haven't tried it seperately, but I feel this is a problem because the two  gpu's rely on one fan.

2) I have tried running my 5970 on a clean install of windows XP, with only the SDK driver installed and cgminer running, and I get some pretty erratic results.  One gpu runs fine at 320 mhash, but the other one runs at ~150 and racks up about 1,000,000 HW: errors/min.

Miraculously the 5970 runs perfectly stable at 850 oc & 1.03v in windows 7.

This is my face:  Huh
Jump to: