Author

Topic: 6 minutes until mtgox goes offline - who's having a WTF moment now? (Read 1333 times)

Activity: 278
Merit: 250
looks like the reduced liquidity caused a small increase in the price of BTC
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 4398
diamond-handed zealot
me a victim of fud Embarrassed
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Not "down", as far as I can make out, as per:

Quote from: MtGox Website
During this time frame, European customers may experience intermittent periods of latency.

I deserved that.

That is what I get for believing the thread title.  "offline" as in not so "offline".
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Hello Mt.Gox Users,

Please be aware that from 0:01 to 08:01 UTC on January 19th, 2012, Prolexic Network and Systems Engineering will be upgrading the London data center mitigation infrastructure. During this time frame, European customers may experience intermittent periods of latency. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause. If additional questions or concerns arise, please contact the Support Desk.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Mt.Gox Support

It wont be down, but EU customers might have slower trading. That is all its saying

So does this affect bitcoinica?  Sorry - I'm ignorant as to where they operate.

Yes.  Bitcoinica clears trades that can't be matched internal on MtGox.
They are hosted at Rackspace in the USA, so presumably they shouldn't be too affected by the European network maintenance.

Even if Bitcoinica was on the moon how are they going to clear unbalanced trades on Mt.Gox if Mt.Gox is down?
Not "down", as far as I can make out, as per:

Quote from: MtGox Website
During this time frame, European customers may experience intermittent periods of latency.
donator
Gerald Davis
Hello Mt.Gox Users,

Please be aware that from 0:01 to 08:01 UTC on January 19th, 2012, Prolexic Network and Systems Engineering will be upgrading the London data center mitigation infrastructure. During this time frame, European customers may experience intermittent periods of latency. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause. If additional questions or concerns arise, please contact the Support Desk.

Mt.Gox Support

It wont be down, but EU customers might have slower trading. That is all its saying

So does this affect bitcoinica?  Sorry - I'm ignorant as to where they operate.

Yes.  Bitcoinica clears trades that can't be matched internal on MtGox.
They are hosted at Rackspace in the USA, so presumably they shouldn't be too affected by the European network maintenance.

Even if Bitcoinica was on the moon how are they going to clear unbalanced trades on Mt.Gox if Mt.Gox is down?
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Hello Mt.Gox Users,

Mt.Gox Support

donator
Gerald Davis
Hello Mt.Gox Users,

Mt.Gox Support

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
well, probably. If prolexic announces high latency it usually means failure in process.

that is why I labeled the thread with "goes offline"
Activity: 461
Merit: 251
Hello Mt.Gox Users,

Mt.Gox Support

Activity: 1008
Hello Mt.Gox Users,

Mt.Gox Support

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 4398
diamond-handed zealot
wow, thanks for the headsup

going to cash now
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Apparently, almost no one noticed their press release:
https://mtgox.zendesk.com/entries/20875523-maintenance-notification

Gox will be down for 8+ hours( they say 8, but prolexic is a crap provider)
Jump to: