Pages:
Author

Topic: "Broken" private key. - page 2. (Read 561 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
November 16, 2022, 05:17:41 PM

Did you try reaching out to them for help?

I did email them and have not gotten an answer yet, yes.

Thanks for the reply!
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 6072
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 16, 2022, 03:50:33 PM
bitWallet looks like it's still (somewhat) active:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bitwallet/id777634714

http://www.sollico.com/bitwallet/

Did you try reaching out to them for help?

If they did something funky in older versions of the wallet they may be the only people who can help you.
This was not unheard of in years gone by, everyone wanted to do their own thing to make their wallet different.

If it is indeed something corrupted in the wallet itself you are probably not going to be able to retrieve it too easily.

-Dave
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
November 16, 2022, 03:36:24 PM
A friend had Bitcoin stored on an old iPhone (back from 2012), in an app called «Bitwallet» (by Sollico software).

But when they tried to transfer it out, it complained about the key being "neither a compressed or uncompressed key".

No software would take the private key in (tried a dozen), and trying a WiF decoder showed it's invalid (even though it "looks" right, starts with 5K, right length, etc).

So I decoded it using a small nodejs script, and what I found is a key where 15 of the bytes are FF.

Something like :

80 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff etc... <15 real bytes, kept secret, presumably valid>

So my guess here would be that somehow the flash on the iphone got corrupted, and half the key is missing.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something, and a key with half of it being ffff makes sense in some way I couldn't find?

We also have the public key/address. So what we have (if I get this right) is the public address, half the private key, and the checksum.

Any reasonable way to get to the coins with this?

This is like around 128bits of entropy, which doesn't sound like it can be cracked, but could the checksum and public address help in some way?

Any other ideas of what to do? There's 3 BTC on there.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Pages:
Jump to: