Pages:
Author

Topic: Losing Critical Mass and Call to Action - page 7. (Read 24309 times)

legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014
September 12, 2010, 02:29:48 AM
Just emailed http://www.apmex.com to see if they could start trading bitcoins.

I think the key is to get the big players involved.  Imagine if PayPal started to accept bitcoins.  It's game over for other currencies.
legendary
Activity: 980
September 12, 2010, 02:13:15 AM
I think many people loose interest when they see that it is very difficult to generate bitcoins. But buying bitcoins isn't so hard, so getting them is not the problem. I think more in the lines of being able to spend them. Sure, there are some nice ways to spend them, but many things are a bit of a niche currently (relative little people have real use for it). If I have a look in the first few topics in the Marketplace, I see financial related stuff and lotteries/poker related stuff. None of which I would be interested in.
I think you'll need to express your needs and see if people are willing to offer and try to get started. However, at this point, we have too few users to facilitate much trading since there is a lack of coincidence between what you want and what resources they have.

Two months is too long to realize that generating bitcoin is a waste of time, I believed. It's not a plausible hypothesis.

However, this is September so school is probably a plausible hypothesis pulling bitcoiners from the community a little while.

Another hypothesis is that the community has already say much about bitcoins and that we're running out of stuff to post. That's probably implausible though but I don't know how to determine this.
legendary
Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001
September 12, 2010, 02:08:18 AM
I think many people loose interest when they see that it is very difficult to generate bitcoins. But buying bitcoins isn't so hard, so getting them is not the problem. I think more in the lines of being able to spend them. Sure, there are some nice ways to spend them, but many things are a bit of a niche currently (relative little people have real use for it). If I have a look in the first few topics in the Marketplace, I see financial related stuff and lotteries/poker related stuff. None of which I would be interested in.

Also, please note that amount of forum sign ups doesn't need to be related to the amount of people using bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 980
September 12, 2010, 01:44:18 AM
The rate of posting is low this month, and there are few real members creation. We don't have enough critical mass for takeoff. I don't know if we're losing momentum, but just to make sure, double the amount of energy into increasing the mass for takeoff. We can't expect others to do their share of the work, we must do it ourselves. Slashdot so far is only our signifigant source of new members blast. We may need a couple more blasts to go to the rest of the J curves but we shouldn't relies on it to make our success. If anything, user blasters will be the product of creating our own "lucks".

Keep showing up on IRC and forums. Keep building web services. Keep writing letters. Most of all, find yourself a niche. Division of labor has made our wonderful civilization like this. Let seize it in our new society.

I know I also need to do my part too, so I shall contribute in some small way. I'll shall begin working on a prediction market no later than this Wednesday.
Pages:
Jump to: