Pages:
Author

Topic: Network protocol overview doc - page 3. (Read 15409 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 141
August 14, 2010, 06:07:20 PM

Please do not copy my works without permission.

Out of curiosity..... who actually owns the copyright here?  This appears to be a derivative document based upon the source code of the main client software, which would seem to me that you would be required to at least maintain the same sort of license for that same derivative work.

Then again, since this is a BSD-type license that doesn't really clear up these kind of derivative copyright issues.  Still, rather than claiming an "all rights reserved" view for an open source project and claiming that copyright to yourself, it could be useful to define those terms.  I appreciate the list of messages here, but "your works" is not nearly as clearly defined as might been seen here.

Certainly it would be useful to at least acknowledge the hand of Satoshi Nakamoto as a co-author if you are going to be asserting copyright.
Activity: 210
Merit: 104
August 14, 2010, 01:42:32 PM
Size of vectors and strings is stored using a compact size format:
Code:
//
// Compact size
//  size <  253        -- 1 byte
//  size <= USHRT_MAX  -- 3 bytes  (253 + 2 bytes)
//  size <= UINT_MAX   -- 5 bytes  (254 + 4 bytes)
//  size >  UINT_MAX   -- 9 bytes  (255 + 8 bytes)
//
The size field proceeds the vector or string of which it is specifying the length.

Check out http://code.google.com/p/pybitcoin/wiki/BitcoinProtocol. We haven't gotten as far as you have, but we are making some progress on decoding the protocol.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
August 14, 2010, 03:30:45 AM

Please do not copy my works without permission.

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
August 13, 2010, 07:48:26 PM

I needed this for some work I was doing, so I figured I would make it public:

http://yyz.us/bitcoin/network.html

This doc lists each type of network message, gives it a rough description, and lists typical inputs and outputs.  Very rough, but better than the other docs out there ('version' message is highly documented! Smiley).
Pages:
Jump to: