Pages:
Author

Topic: [CHALLENGE] Run A Bitcoin Node: 14 Days To 14 Merits - page 92. (Read 19213 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
can I change that afterwards?
Yes absolutely, although your client won't go back and download old blocks; rather it will just stop pruning until you hit your new limit.

So let's say you had set your prune limit to 50 GB. You have downloaded and verified the first 200 GB of the blockchain, meaning the first 150 GB has been pruned, and you are storing the next 50 GB. If you now change your prune limit to 100 GB, your client won't go back to redownload blocks you already downloaded and pruned, but will instead just not prune anything until you hit your new prune limit of 100 GB, which you will reach once you are 250 GB through the initial block download.

In the Core GUI you just click on Settings -> Options, and the option to change the prune limit is there.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 744
Haha. I have always found the "estimated time left" on Core to be notoriously unreliable. Assuming you are downloading at least 1 MB/s (12 Mbps should give you 1.5 MB/s as a theoretical maximum), then it should take around 150 hours to download the ~540 GB blockchain, which is the equivalent of 6.25 days if you run non-stop (assuming as well that your hardware can keep up with its speed of verification).
Yeah, it is; it was showing 10 to 12 days after a while. I'm not sure if I can keep my laptop running 24/7 for so many days, but I'll give it a go after I return from work. Right now, I've set pruning to 45 GB; can I change that afterwards? If I see decent progress, I don't mind setting it to 100 GB. I have approximately 200 GB of space on my SSD, and the HDD is quite full, but my main concern remains my internet, as its speed is quite unstable.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Progress:

Code:
Day 1:
tech30338
Ultegra134
DYING_S0UL
Activity: 322
Merit: 318
The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>BAN
No worries, it'll be finished in a few years  Shocked
Haha. I have always found the "estimated time left" on Core to be notoriously unreliable.
After running the bitcoin core I understood what you were trying to say. Exactly it's notoriously unreliable. First it showed me 12 fricking years. More than a decade. But as time went by it gradually started to drop. From 12 years, it went 10, 9, 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 years and lastly stuck at 2 weeks now. Lol  Grin.

legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
Since pruning is allowed, i expect someone will try download pruned node snapshot from 3rd party in order to skip download first 500GB+ of blockchain.

No pruned blockstate images exist in the wild though - someone would actually have to run the client in order to make such data.

I do not count "airdropped merit" differently from any other merits.

It's not true, try search "pruned bitcoin snapshot" on DuckDuckGo and you'll find few website data created a year ago or more recent.

That's not how Bitcoin works. It downloads all blocks from start to finish, but it discards all but the last N megabytes of recent block data.

Convince me why that should be the case, to first download the whole blockchain just to discard it later? Who designed that logic?

At least for Bitcoin Core, you need to download whole blockchain to verify almost everything and build UTXO set.
Activity: 532
Merit: 125
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
snip
Did it worked? Have I done everything correctly? It's my first time running a node, so correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. I haven't touched any settings. Everything shown in the images were the default ones. Should I change anything? Also I'm not really sure if my bandwidth connection is fit for running a node, as you see it says 30MB for 2 minutes,lol (I know it's very slow, can't really help with that). At least I'm trying..... Smiley

when did you start mine is just 4 years remaining I think it has something to do with your internet connection 49% in progress
snip
Did it worked? Have I done everything correctly? It's my first time running a node, so correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. I haven't touched any settings. Everything shown in the images were the default ones. Should I change anything? Also I'm not really sure if my bandwidth connection is fit for running a node, as you see it says 30MB for 2 minutes,lol (I know it's very slow, can't really help with that). At least I'm trying..... Smiley

DAY 1

Activity: 532
Merit: 125
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
1st day:
Code:
"chain": "main",
  "blocks": 585581,
  "headers": 824274,
  "bestblockhash": "00000000000000000000280fa27a49df13d73341449e6715b156eeeae14aa6c3",
  "difficulty": 9064159826491.41,
  "time": 1563234585,
  "mediantime": 1563233207,
  "verificationprogress": 0.4795904701124261,
  "initialblockdownload": true,
  "chainwork": "000000000000000000000000000000000000000007371f704bc72e7b61a9b566",
  "size_on_disk": 4615828226,
  "pruned": true,
  "pruneheight": 582023,
  "automatic_pruning": true,
  "prune_target_size": 4999610368,
  "warnings": ""

4 years and 24weeks reaming until sync
legendary
Haha. I have always found the "estimated time left" on Core to be notoriously unreliable. Assuming you are downloading at least 1 MB/s (12 Mbps should give you 1.5 MB/s as a theoretical maximum), then it should take around 150 hours to download the ~540 GB blockchain, which is the equivalent of 6.25 days if you run non-stop (assuming as well that your hardware can keep up with its speed of verification).
It defeats a large part of the reason to run your own node though. If you are going to download a snapshot from elsewhere and trust it completely, then just continue connecting to third party nodes and trust them completely. The whole point is to download and verify the data yourself.
Right, I was mostly referring to the pruning part and not the downloading a snapshot from a third party, but didn't refer to that in my initial post.
You don't need to store the full 500 GB while performing the initial block download. If you set to prune at 50 GB, then it will only ever keep 50 GB on disk despite downloading the full 500 GB.
If you want to store the bulk of the data on your HDD, I would suggest installing Core on your SSD and then moving the blocks folder to your HDD. It will run much faster this way.
I've started downloading Bitcoin Core now, and I've set the prune block storage to 50 GB. Unfortunately, storage capacity isn't my main issue, but my internet's limited capabilities. I used to have over 50 Mbps on my previous house; now I'm getting 10 or 12 at most. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind if I downloaded as much as 200 GB of data.

copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
Lol think about the bandwidth charges they will have to pay, some ISPs limit their download bandwidth and would charge extra for each Gig of data after the limit has reached.
Anyways, still no answer as to why I need to first download the entire chain just to discard most of it later? Maybe because I suffer from a mental retardness? Lol.

Also, this could be considered as merit buying, think about it, one could pay for a VPS and just like that farm 14 + some extra on top from you and other generous sources. So think about a solution to stop such abuses. 🤓
legendary
Had some questions/confusions etc! Smiley

1. How do I run this? Never used this, so I have 0 idea. Need a guide.
2. I have very less storage. Total 250GB SSD. But only 70-80GB free.
3. What if there were frequent load shedding or network/wifi/isp related problems? Where I live load shedding is very common and my internet connection isn't always stable. It's very common.
4. How much bandwidth would I need? My connection is only 5 mbps.

1. Download Bitcoin Core from https://bitcoincore.org or bitcoin.org and then either run the bitcoind application in the terminal or click on bitcoin-qt for a graphical screen.
2. Use pruning, see above.
3. It should not affect Bitcoin Core because it will just resume where it left off after a connection interrupt.
4. I'm not sure whether 5mbps can download the blockchain in 14 days but this is supposed to be running 24/7, so maybe someone can do the napkin math here and work out how many days that would take.

Edit: the theoretical maximum is 756GB in that timeframe. You should be fine.
Had some questions/confusions etc! Smiley

1. How do I run this? Never used this, so I have 0 idea. Need a guide.
2. I have very less storage. Total 250GB SSD. But only 70-80GB free.
3. What if there were frequent load shedding or network/wifi/isp related problems? Where I live load shedding is very common and my internet connection isn't always stable. It's very common.
4. How much bandwidth would I need? My connection is only 5 mbps.
legendary
Isn't it understandable, though?
It defeats a large part of the reason to run your own node though. If you are going to download a snapshot from elsewhere and trust it completely, then just continue connecting to third party nodes and trust them completely. The whole point is to download and verify the data yourself.

I've got two drives on my laptop, one SSD and one HDD, but both are barely over 700 GB in capacity, with the HDD used to store all large files whatsoever. I'm unable to download that much data, but I could do it with 60–70 GB, or perhaps a little more, if that's okay.
You don't need to store the full 500 GB while performing the initial block download. If you set to prune at 50 GB, then it will only ever keep 50 GB on disk despite downloading the full 500 GB.

If you want to store the bulk of the data on your HDD, I would suggest installing Core on your SSD and then moving the blocks folder to your HDD. It will run much faster this way.
Activity: 854
Merit: 539
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
This is not even about the merits offered, but the fact that many will be privileged to make use of this for their very first time in life, so I see it as an encouragement to motivate others get themselves busy with something meaningful and important that could help their cryptocurrency career, we are doing all this things not for now but also for the sake of future benefits that might comes in through it, if we are into something, then learning to be the best and do the best is never an offense if the avenue is created for us to learn, develope and improve ourselves, thanks to NotATether for this.
copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏

That's not how Bitcoin works. It downloads all blocks from start to finish, but it discards all but the last N megabytes of recent block data.

Convince me why that should be the case, to first download the whole blockchain just to discard it later? Who designed that logic?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
To incentivize people to run a node, I am running a merit challenge. Run Bitcoin Core on your computer for 14 days, to receive 14 merits from me!
Well done.
To join and support this initiative I will send additional random number of merits to all (or most) of the members that are confirmed by NotATether to really run a bitcoin node.

Fellow members please don't try to cheat in any way, if you don't want to earn something else instead of merits.
legendary
So if I set a limit for 1GB prune mode, it will only download the last 1 gigabyte of block data? And that could earn me 14 merits? If yes then I'm on it boss. 😉

Since pruning is allowed, i expect someone will try download pruned node snapshot from 3rd party in order to skip download first 500GB+ of blockchain.

No pruned blockstate images exist in the wild though - someone would actually have to run the client in order to make such data.

I do not count "airdropped merit" differently from any other merits.
Great challenge, and hats off to you for contributing to the community. I'm also considering participating when I get back home, even though I've never done it before, so it'll be interesting to see how it works.
Isn't it understandable, though? I've got two drives on my laptop, one SSD and one HDD, but both are barely over 700 GB in capacity, with the HDD used to store all large files whatsoever. I'm unable to download that much data, but I could do it with 60–70 GB, or perhaps a little more, if that's okay.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
  • This challenge is open for anyone with <1000 merit.
<1000 merit in total received merit or including airdrop?

• You may run with any other configuration options as you like, such as pruning.
Pages:
Jump to: