Pages:
Author

Topic: Corrupted wallet.dat - page 4. (Read 678 times)

Activity: 62
Merit: 1
May 20, 2023, 05:43:34 PM
Ok tried running the QT as admin & we still get the same error: Method not found 32601
May 20, 2023, 05:30:47 PM
Are you running bitcoin core as an Administrator?? That might help

No I havn't tried that yet, will it make the 'bin' file appear in the folders? Our 'bin' file is no where to be found.
Activity: 113
Merit: 28
May 20, 2023, 05:28:27 PM
Are you running bitcoin core as an Administrator?? That might help
May 20, 2023, 05:27:01 PM
The latest Bitcoin Core release is v24.0.1 as also indicated at the top of every forum page here. The proper download source is https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/

Where did you get your Bitcoin Core from?

Don't use https://bitcoin.org/en/download as this is really outdated and apparently not kept current.

I know it has to be down to my error, I had no idea that was not current. I'll try to find another wallet but not sure as to where I'll find one. Trouble is I am in the UK & we have to use a damn VPN to get the bitcoin client.

Thanks for posting.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 20, 2023, 05:24:03 PM
The latest Bitcoin Core release is v24.0.1 as also indicated at the top of every forum page here. The proper download source is https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/

Where did you get your Bitcoin Core from?

Don't use https://bitcoin.org/en/download as this is really outdated and apparently not kept current.
May 20, 2023, 03:34:07 PM
Thanks for the responses & this just seems to get harder to understand, we are using bitcoin core 22.0, this is as far I i can tell the latest version, I used the command in the QT again & got this message: Method not found (code -32601)

Command prompt as stated above in Windows: is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Command as stated above in the Bitcoin QT: Method not found (code -32601)

There is still no 'bin' file.

I feel at a complete loss as to how I am going to get this done, I figure I have lost the coins forever.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
May 19, 2023, 11:27:39 PM
Thank you but this is so odd, we do not seem to have a 'bin' folder in the Bitcoin Core directory.
-snip-
I am using Bitcoin Core 22.0 & I also wonder if the deleted wallet.dat can be used with a pruned blockchain wallet or does it have to be how I had the original installation unpruned?
Okay, so you're using an older version of Bitcoin Core.
Then, bitcoin-wallet tool is in your "daemon" folder.

You won't be able to fully scan the wallet.dat with a pruned blockchain.
But you can at least test if it'll load without error on a freshly installed Bitcoin Core after performing "salvage" to the corrupted restored wallet.dat.
Activity: 113
Merit: 28
May 19, 2023, 06:47:12 PM
If you are using windows and are looking for the directory containing the wallet it will usually be in

C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin

My suggestion would be to do a fresh install of bitcoin core and once up and running, close down bitcoin core(QT) replace the newly created wallet.dat file with a copy of your wallet. The nre start bitcoin core and wait..

May 19, 2023, 03:45:35 PM
Thank you but this is so odd, we do not seem to have a 'bin' folder in the Bitcoin Core directory. There is nothing like that in the folders, I have the Bitcoin installation on another PC & now have my cloned M.2 drive with the deleted files connected via USB.

In my install on both PC's that we use, these folders are all we have:
deamon
doc
bitcon qt.exe
COPYING.txt
readme.txt
bitcoin uninstall.exe

I am using Bitcoin Core 22.0 & I also wonder if the deleted wallet.dat can be used with a pruned blockchain wallet or does it have to be how I had the original installation unpruned?
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
May 19, 2023, 07:06:00 AM
Is the 'bin' folder the 'recycle bin' on my original drive?
Seems like there's a misunderstanding with the usage of bitcoin-wallet tool...
My suggestion to use "salvage" is for a possible fix to your already-recovered but corrupted wallet.dat file.
If successful, the corrupted wallet.dat may work in Bitcoin Core without the previous loading error.

It's a tool included with Bitcoin Core, which should be in the "bin" folder inside the directory where you've installed it.
You can install Bitcoin Core to a separate working PC to use be able to use the tool, I'd suggest not to use it in the drive where the deleted files were stored.
May 18, 2023, 03:44:29 PM
I wanted to try this option first & I have loaded the recovered wallet.dat file onto another PC at the desktop & we seem unable to find the 'bin' folder in the Bitcoin Core install directory which for us is on D: "D:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bin" does not show.

If the recovered file is corrupted, try to use salvage command of Bitcoin Core's bitcoin-wallet tool:
  • Go to Bitcoin Core's install directory, open "bin" folder;
    Since you're on Windows, it's in "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bin" folder by default.
  • Open your command prompt and cd to that directory, enter: cd "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bin"
  • Then to use salvage command with bitcoin-wallet tool: bitcoin-wallet --wallet="full path to your wallet.dat" salvage
    For example: if your corrupted wallet.dat is saved in "D:\testdir\wallet.dat", it should be --wallet="D:\testdir\wallet.dat"
  • Command should finish without any response, otherwise, there's an error.
  • If it finished without errors, load the wallet.dat to Bitcoin Core and see if it's now fixed.
[/quote]

Is the 'bin' folder the 'recycle bin' on my original drive?
May 18, 2023, 02:00:18 PM
No I used EaseUS data recovery for the scan & found the tree of Bitcoin Core folders that have been deleted & the wallet folder is also there.

I will use  the backup drive I am going the clone later on tonight & keep the original drive safe.
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
May 18, 2023, 03:11:48 AM
Awesome news, thank you & I can see the wallets folder in D: recycle bin aswell as the full the file tree: Local Disk(D)\Lost Files\Deleted\File Path Lost\wallets\, so I take it that must be inserted in the command prompt as the path?
Do you mean in bitcoin-wallet tool?
You can put a copy of the corrupted wallet.dat wherever you want and then point to that copy's path.

Even though it'll automatically create a backup of the to-be-salvaged wallet.dat file, it's still best not to use the original file, always use a copy of it.
May 17, 2023, 08:21:04 PM
Awesome news, thank you & I can see the wallets folder in D: recycle bin aswell as the full the file tree: Local Disk(D)\Lost Files\Deleted\File Path Lost\wallets\, so I take it that must be inserted in the command prompt as the path?

I have now removed the M.2 drive so I don't overwrite anything & I am going to make a clone of the data on it, before I start the scan at the weekend.

I am totally unfamiliar with all this so thank you for your help.
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
May 16, 2023, 04:21:18 AM
I have the full tree of files that have File path lost showing the same data same as in the app data folder for Bitcoin, so i feel sure the DAT file for the wallet I created is the right one.
Bitcoin Core saves the wallet.dat file in a folder with the wallet name that you've set, it's inside the wallets folder.
So the path to the correct wallet.dat should look like this: "bitcoin/wallets//wallet.dat"
The wallet file's name should strictly be "wallet.dat" and not any other ".dat" file.

If the recovered file is corrupted, try to use salvage command of Bitcoin Core's bitcoin-wallet tool:
  • Go to Bitcoin Core's install directory, open "bin" folder;
    Since you're on Windows, it's in "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bin" folder by default.
  • Open your command prompt and cd to that directory, enter: cd "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bin"
  • Then to use salvage command with bitcoin-wallet tool: bitcoin-wallet --wallet="full path to your wallet.dat" salvage
    For example: if your corrupted wallet.dat is saved in "D:\testdir\wallet.dat", it should be --wallet="D:\testdir\wallet.dat"
  • Command should finish without any response, otherwise, there's an error.
  • If it finished without errors, load the wallet.dat to Bitcoin Core and see if it's now fixed.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
May 16, 2023, 03:18:49 AM
 Hi, maybe this will help. You  might need to download java and run this in java. So check how to run java in computer there. Then after your done you can delete java app.
 https://github.com/ameijer/bitcoin_wallet_recovery_tool
Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 16, 2023, 01:55:12 AM
I hope you first made a forensic image copy of your filesystem before making changes to it with any recovery tool. That way, if one tool fails, you could always and repeatedly restore the initial state of your filesystem and try another, better tool again. A forensic image copy saves all sectors of a filesystem and not only the occupied ones according to the filesystem's directory.

Flash drives can make serious problems, though. As Windows usually issues TRIM commands when files are deleted, some flash drives may not report back proper data from now marked unused sectors after they've done their garbage collection and wear leveling of flash cells.

As you're using Windows, did you check if there's some Previous Versions of the deleted folder/files? No past backups of your wallet.dat (if it's a Core HD wallet, older backups are fine)?
May 15, 2023, 02:02:23 PM
Hi, thanks for the message & info, I used EaseUS data recovery software for this, the two other ones I tried didn't show the deleted files structure, but EaseUS did.
I have the full tree of files that have File path lost showing the same data same as in the app data folder for Bitcoin, so i feel sure the DAT file for the wallet I created is the right one.

I'll take a good look at the links you posted & see where I go from there.

I really appreciate the help, thank you.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971
Block halving is coming.
May 15, 2023, 09:23:17 AM
What tool did you use when recovering deleted files?
Maybe the files you just recently recovered is not actually the wallet.dat file.

About pywallet you can use --recover to recover your wallet.dat from the hard drive.

There is already a guide here how to do it check this link below.

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-recover-your-deleted-keys-38004

Or try the command posted here below

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.60653031
May 14, 2023, 06:15:16 PM
Hello, I have mistakenly deleted my bitcoin wallet from my additional M.2. hard drive (D:) when I removed the Bitcoincore software, I hadn't realised but I had forgotten to save the last wallet I made...
I have since recovered the lost files from the drive but the wallet file is not in the correct format.
 From the recovered files the original Bitcoin core installation now has a missing path & I can see the wallet folder as normal & the files look ok, but the .dat which is 952KB will not load, saying the file is not in the correct format.

I have done some research & looked into this topic https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/9127/dumping-private-keys-from-wallet-dat-from-command-line-pywallet-py-alternatives

I am not good with things like this & I failed to get the py wallet to see the .dat file, which was placed in the same folder. I wonder if there is anything else I can try or am I on the right track, just not going through the procedure correctly?

Any help that results in the wallet working again will recieve a reward.

Cheers.

Pages:
Jump to: