Pages:
Author

Topic: KanoPool kano.is lowest 0.9% fee 🐈 since 2014 - Worldwide - 2432 blocks - page 2. (Read 5350247 times)

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
~
Since I'm not sure exactly how this works on a technical level right now (might have slipped my memory): is the mining software / firmware used communicated through Stratum v2 and / or could it be spoofed? How do you make sure that someone pointing hashpower to your pool is running a tested / 'known working' software stack?
Kano has made his opinion of Stratum v2 well known and safe to say it will be a mighty cold day in hell before he uses it. As for how he determines if the miner is running a hacked version of cgminer (which are quickly kicked off) vs accepted OEM, Braiins, BFGminer or Bitfury firmware - trade secret...  Wink
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
~
Since I'm not sure exactly how this works on a technical level right now (might have slipped my memory): is the mining software / firmware used communicated through Stratum v2 and / or could it be spoofed? How do you make sure that someone pointing hashpower to your pool is running a tested / 'known working' software stack?

My miners use the original firmware Smiley
I will try to buy fan emulators as I'm running immersion cooling so I need to "cheat" original firmware that fans are still there.
Should be fairly easy to hack together if you can't find anything ready-made, right? I guess the original firmware expects a fan RPM reading on the yellow cable of a 3-pin fan connector?

The cable usually gives you 2 pulses per revolution so if you want to emulate 500RPM you just need to provide a 1kHz square wave. You can get that from a cheap Arduino clone and a few lines of code such as:
Code:
void setup() {
pinMode(0, OUTPUT);
}
void loop() {
digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
delay(1); // wait 1ms
digitalWrite(0, LOW);
delay(1); // wait 1ms
}

If it should be cheaper, you could also get such a square wave from a 555 timer IC, although I doubt that the time invested to build and test it is worth it over an affordable microcontroller devkit.

Lastly, easiest might be to use fan cable extensions and have actual fans running outside of the immersion cooling tank. Wink
Activity: 7
Merit: 0

I will try to buy fan emulators as I'm running immersion cooling so I need to "cheat" original firmware that fans are still there. Thank you for your help and make it clear for me. I will still run it on your pool.

Or maybe you have any solution to ssh into original firmware of antminers? I will do shell scripting on my own but I need access.
legendary
Mine here solo for the ridiculous low 0.5% fee Smiley

I am and I will Grin My question was more about firmware for antminers you suggest to use. As I mentioned before: Bitmain makes a lot of limitations for its firmware.
legendary
So let's summarize: I can use BrainsOS+ on solo pool and there was a proof that this software can find block. Am I correct?
No idea if it can find a block, but proof it can hash >32bit shares - which is one well known historical example of losing blocks ... that happened on slush

I heard about Vnish which is using open source software under the hood but I can be wrong.
Vnish is a full on lying bunch of scumbags who also violate my cgminer license.

Do you have any suggestions how to solo mine "the right way"?
Mine here solo for the ridiculous low 0.5% fee Smiley

If you want to do it yourself, then be prepared to spend $15k a year on fast bitcoin nodes to distribute you blocks around the world.
Of course it will still be slower than here.
So let's summarize: I can use BrainsOS+ on solo pool and there was a proof that this software can find block. Am I correct?

I'm using different software for my antminers because of custom cooling and I want to protect the device if that cooling will fail (also autotuning option convinced me). I cannot do this on Bitmains software as it has disabled any access into it (tried to ssh and telnet but without success) and without fans it won't start. I know that with access to shell with root I can "cheat" any sensor to make it run  (I'm linux daily user and DevOps engineer so I believe I have enough knowledge to do this).

I heard about Vnish which is using open source software under the hood but I can be wrong.

Do you have any suggestions how to solo mine "the right way"?
legendary
Yes - as NotFuzzyWarm stated it is now allowed for that exact reason.

The main issue with most if not all miner developers, is they are hackers without any tertiary computer education, and haven't worked in the computing field doing any sort of critical software development.

They wont test their software properly and expect problems to be the problem of those paying exorbitant fees for the software.

So here, with hack firmware like the apollo and braiins, I required them to find a >32 bit share before risking them running on pplns - since mining on pplns is forcing sharing that risk with everyone else on pplns.

Also, for the same reason, since I'm the largest miner on the pool, I don't want to be sharing my rewards with people running untested software that might throw away blocks.

Bitcoin mining is abound with known license violations and hack software.
To be blunt, I don't know of anyone who doesn't fall in that category (except me)
legendary
AFAIK that changed in 2022 when a solo miner running it produced a high enough share (>32bit) to verify that Braiins can indeed work at the diffs needed.
So as I'm reading this topic, BrainsOS+ cannot find block on solo mining? I'm currently testing it on s9 but I'm confused after your (kano) post that BrainsOS+ is not suitable to find a block
Um just *where* did you see that?
Braiins works here just fine. In fact in the early days of Braiins, it was only allowed on solo and not allowed on the main pool. Why - because the devs refused to offer any proof of it being able to find a block. Only once it was proved that Braiins could find a block it was it allowed on the main pool.

here is kano post about BrainsOS+:

You can run that miner on solo mining here.
The non+ version is also free to run.
It's restricted on PPLNS since no one seems to ever report if the code actually finds blocks, and like all the hack firmware out there, the developers aren't interested in testing it either, they leave that as a problem for the people who use it.
legendary
So as I'm reading this topic, BrainsOS+ cannot find block on solo mining? I'm currently testing it on s9 but I'm confused after your (kano) post that BrainsOS+ is not suitable to find a block
Um just *where* did you see that?
Braiins works here just fine. In fact in the early days of Braiins, it was only allowed on solo and not allowed on the main pool. Why - because the devs refused to offer any proof of it being able to find a block. Only once it was proved that Braiins could find a block it was it allowed on the main pool.
legendary
Hello, I'm testing solo mining on kano pool. I've switched from ckpool and I have question:

On ckpool I had pretty high latency (100-200ms) but on kano connecting to server in Germany I've around 25ms. Also as first backup pool I've set up to server in Netherlands (around 30ms latency).
Is latency between miner and pool matters on solo mining? (In case of finding block of course)

Indeed the faster your share gets to the pool and it verifies it then sends out the block to the network,
the less likely it will be stale and/or orphaned.

That's why we have 9 nodes around the world for both receiving your shares faster
and also distributing blocks around the world as fast as possible
- most likely faster than any other pool since we don't even send the blocks,
we only send a single tiny share to all the nodes so they can send the blocks out to everything in their area as fast as possible.
Hello, I'm testing solo mining on kano pool. I've switched from ckpool and I have question:

On ckpool I had pretty high latency (100-200ms) but on kano connecting to server in Germany I've around 25ms. Also as first backup pool I've set up to server in Netherlands (around 30ms latency).
Is latency between miner and pool matters on solo mining? (In case of finding block of course)
legendary
Well my only guess would be check the username, since it's case sensitive.
I have it on an iPad and it's working at the moment.
Activity: 2
Hi, is there still an app that works for iPhone. Cheers
Yes the one listed on the first post.
There's Apps to get pool info and monitor your miners.

Apple App:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ckpool-stats-iphone-app-1344360
(enable search for iPhone Apps)
It's by VH

Yeah, found that, loaded it, put my user and api key in and does not appear to be working. Unless I've inputted info in wrong which seemed simple enough, trying to use the Kano info.
legendary
Yes the one listed on the first post.
There's Apps to get pool info and monitor your miners.

Apple App:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ckpool-stats-iphone-app-1344360
(enable search for iPhone Apps)
It's by VH
Activity: 2
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
Congrats @kano nice to see  Grin
Pages: