Pages:
Author

Topic: Does CPU mining contribute anything to bitcoin network or economy? - page 2. (Read 3676 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
1Mh contributes on average 1% as much as 100Mh. So, yes, you would be helping.

If you don't like the unsteady results you can join a pool, but it really isn't worth it using a CPU.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002
Mathematical answer: you contribute, albeit very little.

Reasonable answer: don't bother. Neither do you have a substantial gain, nor the Bitcoin network. If you like the idea and want to support it, buy some bitcoins and spend them, or offer services for Bitcoins and spend your earnings. That will really make a difference.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
I know bitcoin mining is like a lottery - any hash has the same chance of winning a block. But the only way transactions are confirmed is by someone winning a block so that the transactions get added to the chain. At 2M hashes/sec, I can expect to get a block something like every 15 to 30 years at a difficulty of 434883. I am not confirming transactions. I am not winning blocks. Am I contributing anything to the bitcoin network in some other way? I was using a GPU miner (only 20M hashes/sec) in a pool for about 6 weeks and decided it was not worth the heat on the GPU. I like the idea of bitcoin and would be glad to keep the client mining if I thought it was doing anything at all to support the bitcoin concept.

If I want bitcoins, I can see it is better for me to buy them given my limited mining power.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Pages:
Jump to: