Pages:
Author

Topic: Etsy - but with Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 237 times)

legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
January 04, 2023, 12:24:51 AM
the issue with marketplaces for goods is not what you might be thinking at first.. its not the centrality. its not even the listing of goods.. its the whole scamming and scheming on both sides
EG
sellers that dont deliver and just run away with the funds..
buyers that pretend goods not received and demand refunds
where they just set up new bitcoin addresses for payments and pretend to be a new business every day, or customers pretend to be different everyday and scam the same seller over and over

things like ebay have buyer protection which makes it harmful to sellers.
other sites have seller protections which makes it harmful to buyers.
but these fiat sites found they needed something to alleviate the fraud/scam risk

but in a system of anonymity and no desire of KYC it becomes a hotbed of people trying harder to scam and scheme a system

market places have a headache with this stuff which is why they charge fee's for offering a listing site. because they become the mediator of disputes about sold goods not being sent or customers saying they didnt arrive where both sides are trying to run off with goods or funds for free

ebay/etsy work better because they are clear accounts with names and addresses and ratings systems where seller get to rate buyers and buyers get to rate sellers where its slightly more difficult to just create reputation if your just going to use a no ID system

it would be great to have a market place where people can advertise goods and novelty gifts to sell. but it requires a highly invested middleman to mediate/escrow deals, so that fair trade can happen with punishments for abusing said deals
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
January 04, 2023, 12:09:13 AM
Are there any Bitcoin marketplaces that have been developed with similar DNA and design to that of the fiat, online marketplace Etsy? If you are not familiar with Etsy, you can purchase niche and custom items that are generally sold by small businesses or individuals. It's a great avenue to purchase handmade or homemade products, while opting to not spend your money at a big box store. I imagine it doesn't take much to become a vendor/seller on the site, and the buying process is smooth as can be.

Though, summing up all of the fees that Etsy charges, they are essentially taking up to 9.5% per transaction, plus $0.45 USD. That is quite a bit. I'm sure that a much more vendor-friendly version of this could be created with minimal transaction fees - at least in comparison.

I don't know about any such marketplaces like Etsy where bitcoin is accepted! Etsy makes it easier for the sellers to sell their products and charge a convenience fee! They also handle the production so all good with Etsy!

You can check this platform where you can buy gift cards. It's not a full fledged product platform though!

https://www.bitrefill.com/

Hope this helps!
Activity: 10
Merit: 2
January 03, 2023, 11:45:35 PM
I believe that it would be for the greater common good if we returned to peer-to-peer transactions for goods. No third parties. Handshakes, and supporting your neighbors. Circular economies. I imagine a site where you can simply pay a subscription as a vendor to be able to sell your goods directly to the consumer in a peer-to-peer transaction with no fees beyond the particular crypto network fee. As the marketplace's administration, you'd obviously have to not have the urge to monetarily gouge your clients.

Would love feedback on this.
January 03, 2023, 11:37:47 PM
Thank you for the links. I am more so interested in simply the existence of such a marketplace. I think that it could fair well in the Bitcoin-maximalist community...
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1156
January 03, 2023, 11:28:41 PM
I personally don't have any experience to purchase custom stuffs with Bitcoin, but I think this both site can be used as your reference:
1. https://spendbitcoins.com/search/s/custom/
2. https://spending-bitcoin.com/?query=custom

You could also post in this section Goods about an item you want to buy, maybe there's a forum member can create it for you. You must use escrow, but the fee isn't high, it's only around 1% Recommended bitcointalk escrow services
January 03, 2023, 11:09:40 PM
Are there any Bitcoin marketplaces that have been developed with similar DNA and design to that of the fiat, online marketplace Etsy? If you are not familiar with Etsy, you can purchase niche and custom items that are generally sold by small businesses or individuals. It's a great avenue to purchase handmade or homemade products, while opting to not spend your money at a big box store. I imagine it doesn't take much to become a vendor/seller on the site, and the buying process is smooth as can be.

Though, summing up all of the fees that Etsy charges, they are essentially taking up to 9.5% per transaction, plus $0.45 USD. That is quite a bit. I'm sure that a much more vendor-friendly version of this could be created with minimal transaction fees - at least in comparison.
Pages:
Jump to: