Pages:
Author

Topic: Sparrow vs Electrum for desktop - page 5. (Read 1656 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
April 19, 2023, 09:32:57 AM
Ahh, I see. I misunderstood your previous post - I thought you were saying you had already set up an Electrum server, when you were actually saying you already have Sparrow pointed at your own node. In that case, I would just use Sparrow for the use cases you described in your first post. It is more than capable of doing all of those, and you will maintain your privacy since it will only sync via your own node.

Whirlpool is a coinjoin implementation, run by Samourai, which is accessible via Sparrow. You can read more about it here: https://sparrowwallet.com/docs/mixing-whirlpool.html. Essentially, you pay a small fee and then coordinate with other users to create transactions which send the same amount of bitcoin you put in back to you, but in a way which obfuscates which bitcoin actually belong to you. If you are interested in anonymizing your bitcoin so entities such as centralized exchanges and blockchain analysis companies cannot trace it, then you could look in to this. If you do plan to use Whirlpool, make sure you also connect to the coordinator via Tor (explained in the link I just shared).

Thanks! yeah I am in the middle of watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TcUY2yU41w&t=1101s&ab_channel=BTCSessions to make it work.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
April 19, 2023, 09:22:12 AM
Ahh, I see. I misunderstood your previous post - I thought you were saying you had already set up an Electrum server, when you were actually saying you already have Sparrow pointed at your own node. In that case, I would just use Sparrow for the use cases you described in your first post. It is more than capable of doing all of those, and you will maintain your privacy since it will only sync via your own node.

Whirlpool is a coinjoin implementation, run by Samourai, which is accessible via Sparrow. You can read more about it here: https://sparrowwallet.com/docs/mixing-whirlpool.html. Essentially, you pay a small fee and then coordinate with other users to create transactions which send the same amount of bitcoin you put in back to you, but in a way which obfuscates which bitcoin actually belong to you. If you are interested in anonymizing your bitcoin so entities such as centralized exchanges and blockchain analysis companies cannot trace it, then you could look in to this. If you do plan to use Whirlpool, make sure you also connect to the coordinator via Tor (explained in the link I just shared).
April 19, 2023, 07:42:49 AM
If you are already familiar with Electrum and already have a server set up, then I see no reason to change unless you wanted to use Whirlpool.

Ok, so now you got my attention with Whirlpool. I have Sparrow running over my Bitcoin Node. So I don't run an Electrum Server personally.
legendary
April 19, 2023, 07:34:30 AM
Can you elaborate though? Is it better (and for what reason), to run Electrum Server upon your node, instead of connecting Sparrow to your node?
No, it's no better or worse. In both cases, all your data will come from your own node rather than that of a third party, and so your privacy will be maintained. If you already have an Electrum server set up, then no reason not to use it.

There are actually too many people that used to use Electrum since it was released and haven't switched to any other alternative. That's what made me curious.
If you are already familiar with Electrum and already have a server set up, then I see no reason to change unless you wanted to use Whirlpool.
April 19, 2023, 07:28:44 AM

I would say the main benefit that Sparrow has over Electrum for your use case is how easy it so connect to your own node and not rely on a third party. Electrum requires that you set up an Electrum server on top of your node first; Sparrow can just be pointed directly at your node.

I have, actually! But I forgot to mention it. It was a 2-clicks process to do it. Provided that you already have a node of course.

Can you elaborate though? Is it better (and for what reason), to run Electrum Server upon your node, instead of connecting Sparrow to your node?

Although Sparrow excels in terms of UI and UX, in addition to the ease of connecting your nodes, in addition to Taproot addresses and better performance of the Lightning Network, Electrum provides you with basic and good features for all these requirements, so if you are familiar with Electrum or have not used any of these wallets before it is a good choice.

I also think that the way Electrum deals with individual HW plugins is better. so I will vote for it.

There are actually too many people that used to use Electrum since it was released and haven't switched to any other alternative. That's what made me curious.

Electrum doesn't generate a BIP39 seed phrase and uses its own algorithm when generating a seed phrase.
Of course, you can import a BIP39 seed phrase in electrum. To do so, just click on "Options" when entering your seed phrase and check "BIP39 seed".

Thanks! I have tried it and I can verify that.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
April 19, 2023, 07:15:07 AM
Although Sparrow excels in terms of UI and UX, in addition to the ease of connecting your nodes, in addition to Taproot addresses and better performance of the Lightning Network, Electrum provides you with basic and good features for all these requirements, so if you are familiar with Electrum or have not used any of these wallets before it is a good choice.

I also think that the way Electrum deals with individual HW plugins is better. so I will vote for it.
legendary
April 19, 2023, 06:09:44 AM
I would say the main benefit that Sparrow has over Electrum for your use case is how easy it so connect to your own node and not rely on a third party. Electrum requires that you set up an Electrum server on top of your node first; Sparrow can just be pointed directly at your node. Sparrow also allows you to Whirlpool directly from your wallet, as well as supporting other privacy improvements such as PayNyms and Stonewall transactions, but this is probably irrelevant if you are just going to use it as a watch only wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
April 19, 2023, 05:21:20 AM
Example: I think, and I may be mistaken, that Electrum doesn't use BIP39 seed phrases, am I wrong?
Electrum doesn't generate a BIP39 seed phrase and uses its own algorithm when generating a seed phrase.
Of course, you can import a BIP39 seed phrase in electrum. To do so, just click on "Options" when entering your seed phrase and check "BIP39 seed".
April 19, 2023, 05:18:07 AM
Hello people, I am interested in the significant differences that you have found between these two applications.

I have googled it, but the best audience to answer are the people in this forum.

1. I have a multisig vault, which I would like to be able to "monitor" using the cosigners xpubs.
2. I have a cold storage wallet, which I would also like to monitor as "watch-only"
3. I have a hot wallet, created using BlueWallet.

I know I can do all 3 in both of them. But are there differences in features etc, that you have spotted?

Example: I think, and I may be mistaken, that Electrum doesn't use BIP39 seed phrases, am I wrong?
Pages:
Jump to: