Pages:
Author

Topic: Umbrel — Discussion, issues, solutions - page 5. (Read 2103 times)

Activity: 22
Merit: 7
February 19, 2022, 10:19:34 AM
As @cygan said by default Umbrel is running on TOR and you cannot disable that for now.
You *do not* need to use port forwarding it all just goes through the TOR network for connections to the outside world.

However, you should have more then 1 connection.

-Dave

Are you sure Umbrel with Tor will have many inbound connections?
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 19, 2022, 10:05:43 AM
As @cygan said by default Umbrel is running on TOR and you cannot disable that for now.
You *do not* need to use port forwarding it all just goes through the TOR network for connections to the outside world.

However, you should have more then 1 connection.

-Dave

legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 19, 2022, 09:28:30 AM
Hello, I am a newbie. I am running Bitcoin Core but I can’t get the inbound connections because I can’t open port 8333.
Is this Umbrel no need to open any port and can get the inbound connections?

to have port 8333 enabled, you need to open it in your router... which router do you have?
since the umbrel node runs over the tor network, only one inboud connection is possible here - correct me if this is not the case
Activity: 22
Merit: 7
February 19, 2022, 04:20:00 AM
Hello, I am a newbie. I am running Bitcoin Core but I can’t get the inbound connections because I can’t open port 8333.
Is this Umbrel no need to open any port and can get the inbound connections?
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
February 17, 2022, 12:37:14 PM
big thanks vv181!
but how can i increase my inbound connections on my umbrel node?

Code:
"connections": 11,
  "connections_in": 1,
  "connections_out": 10,
Wink

I suspect the only inbound connection you got is coming from Electrs, you can verify it using bitcoin-cli getpeerinfo and search "subver": "electrs",

At least, that is the issue I also encounter on my Raspibolt node, which I suppose Umbrel does only run over Tor connection. It usually happens because I got a bad internet connection, and it is usually fixed by just restarting the Tor service. After that, I leave it half an hour or just a couple of hours, and then the node usually got the inbound connections back.

I don't know for sure about your node, but you can also try to restart the Tor service if you want:
Code:
cd ~/umbrel && docker-compose restart tor
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 17, 2022, 11:58:12 AM
big thanks vv181!
but how can i increase my inbound connections on my umbrel node?

Code:
"connections": 11,
  "connections_in": 1,
  "connections_out": 10,

on my other full node (Bitcoin core) i have ~60 inbound connections at the moment

Code:
"connections": 72,
  "connections_in": 61,
  "connections_out": 11,
legendary
February 17, 2022, 11:38:07 AM
the blockchain is now completely synchronized but somehow my node does not get more than 11 inbound connections (peers) ... port 8333 is enabled in my router.
or is it just the outbound connections that umbrel shows me?
but again back to my actual question ... how can i see how many inbound connections my umbrel node has?
I don't use Umbrel but looking at their code[1], the number on the dashboard shows the total connection of your node received(inbound+outbound). So you have to either check on some explorer(BTC RPC explorer) or directly SSH'ing into the server. Anyway, isn't Umbrel default network are using Tor?

what is the best way to do this?
i am a bit inexperienced in this respect... Lips sealed
You can try SSH into the server.

Use Powershell if you are on Windows or if you are running on macOS/Linux you can directly type below command on the terminal.

Code:

Then enter your password.
Password: The same password you use to log in to the Umbrel dashboard

If you haven't yet run through the setup process, the password will be set to moneyprintergobrrr.

After you've connected to the node, then proceed to see the network info by typing this on the terminal:
Code:
bitcoin-cli getnetworkinfo
#or
~/umbrel/bin/bitcoin-cli getnetworkinfo

And then, the output should show you how many connections you got.
e.g.
Code:
~
"connections": xx,
  "connections_in": xx,
  "connections_out": xx,
~
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 17, 2022, 11:20:38 AM
the blockchain is now completely synchronized but somehow my node does not get more than 11 inbound connections (peers) ... port 8333 is enabled in my router.
but again back to my actual question ... how can i see how many inbound connections my umbrel node has?
I don't use Umbrel but looking at their code[1], the number on the dashboard shows the total connection of your node received(inbound+outbound). So you have to either check on some explorer(BTC RPC explorer) or directly SSH'ing into the server. Anyway, isn't Umbrel default network are using Tor?

what is the best way to do this?
i am a bit inexperienced in this respect... Lips sealed
legendary
February 16, 2022, 03:29:55 PM
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 16, 2022, 01:56:51 PM
Mine is smaller:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/nodes-in-a-box-5364113

Is that a RPi in there? I am on mobile and I can't tell if it's that or something else.

yes, there are even 2 rpi 4 built in and installed Grin

I do like Umbrel, but as I have pointed out the 'app store' thing allowing it to do much more then BTC makes me worry about the security of it.
We know what the security risks are for a lot of the crypto apps, but what if you installed Pi-Hole and someone found and exploited something with that....

-Dave

the app thing is such a question i share with you - actually you take your own risk there if you would install additional apps here...
and then immediately another question about the apps - has anyone here already installed any apps on the umbrel node and can recommend which ones here?
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 16, 2022, 01:38:21 PM
Mine is smaller:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/nodes-in-a-box-5364113

Is that a RPi in there? I am on mobile and I can't tell if it's that or something else.
I do like Umbrel, but as I have pointed out the 'app store' thing allowing it to do much more then BTC makes me worry about the security of it.
We know what the security risks are for a lot of the crypto apps, but what if you installed Pi-Hole and someone found and exploited something with that....

-Dave
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 16, 2022, 12:03:20 PM
i now also have an umbrel full node running Grin

https://twitter.com/cryptocygan/status/1492930549861826563

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
August 29, 2021, 07:19:08 PM
While it does read it that I'm using 151 GBs out of 1 TB, I don't understand if it resyncs or just re-indexes.
Have you tried connecting to the Pi using ssh/terminal and checking what the Bitcoin Core logs say?

If you make sure you're in /home/umbrel/umbrel and then use:
Code:
sudo docker-compose logs -f --tail=100 bitcoin
That'll show you the last 100 lines of the debug.log file and then continue to output new lines (ctrl+c to stop). That should hopefully give you some idea of what it is actually doing.

Alternatively you should be able to check the network usage of the device to see if it is actually downloading blocks.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
August 29, 2021, 07:14:30 AM
So, I deleted Umbrel, burnt an Ubuntu OS to the SD card, synced with Bitcoin Core until ~450,000 and then, due to some issues, moved back to Umbrel. I forgot to add txindex=1, so I had to reindex it. I haven't done so far, because it requires much time. I copied, though, all my block files (directories: blocks, chainstate, indexes) to the Umbrel's bitcoin directory and I wanted from Umbrel to index them for me.

While it does read it that I'm using 151 GBs out of 1 TB, I don't understand if it resyncs or just re-indexes.

That 0.13% scares me.

However, when I look through the list of "known" servers... I so see a couple of .onion servers listed:
Umbrel runs electrs so I guess it should allow others to connect with my .onion url.
HCP
legendary
August 24, 2021, 07:10:23 PM
Does reindexing mean re-verifying each block?
Essentially, yes... The short answer is that it starts at the beginning and verifies the block data stored on disk. If an invalid block/file is encountered, it will start syncing (downloading blocks from peers) from that point to ensure the validity of all the blocks.

Question: Will my electrum server be personal or public? I want to provide in the peer discovery of the electrum servers (that run over Tor).
I'm not sure if the .onion servers are included in peer discovery or if you have to explicitly set them. The Electrum docs regarding Tor seems to indicate that you have to either set up as connecting to 1 server (ie. .onion only) or you run the risk of actually connecting to clearnet peers for blockheader download:

Thus the two different options are, Connect to 1 server ONLY and get block headers and transaction info from that server. Or Connect to 8 block header servers and connect to 1 .onion server for the general use.

However, when I look through the list of "known" servers... I so see a couple of .onion servers listed:

So, it's possible that .onion nodes are included in peer discovery.

Note: Setting Electrum to use my Umbrel node (from a remote location)... it is connecting to my .onion address, but the other connected nodes are all clearnet.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 24, 2021, 04:44:29 AM
Is there any way I can verify the blocks with my GPU instead? Both RPi's and my PC's CPUs are very slow and it'll take ages to finish. At the moment it's 18.62%. Also, in Umbrel I don't have many connections with other (possibly) Tor nodes which means that I may also have a slow downloading, too. Right now, I'm connected with one Bitcoin node and it sometimes, becomes, zero.

No, Bitcoin Core doesn't support GPU acceleration. Here's a relevant discussion Speed up syncing of bitcoin core when the blockchain becomes colossal. But on PC you could speed it up by using SSD (at least to store chainstate directory) or using more RAM, assuming there's no other bottleneck.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 24, 2021, 10:53:26 AM
Question: Will my electrum server be personal or public? I want to provide in the peer discovery of the electrum servers (that run over Tor).
legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 24, 2021, 04:54:26 AM
Is there any way I can verify the blocks with my GPU instead? Both RPi's and my PC's CPUs are very slow and it'll take ages to finish. At the moment it's 18.62%. Also, in Umbrel I don't have many connections with other (possibly) Tor nodes which means that I may also have a slow downloading, too. Right now, I'm connected with one Bitcoin node and it sometimes, becomes, zero.

I set up a RPi node with a hard disk (not SSD) and TOR, and it took about a week to do the initial block download.
Hmm, that means around 14% per day. So I'm in a much worse situation. I have to do something (maybe using another Bitcoin node OS?) otherwise, it may take more than two months.

You'd probably need to delete the corrupted block and then do a reindex... that should work.
Does reindexing mean re-verifying each block?
HCP
legendary
August 23, 2021, 09:31:20 PM
So, I'm facing a syncing problem. It takes way too long than what I expected. I set it up yesterday (24 hours must have passed) and it's still on 14.48%. Is this normal or the verification of the blocks takes more than it should?
As mentioned... IBD on a Pi can be torturously slow...

Is there any way I could speed it up? Like verifying the rest of the blocks in my PC which should be faster than with Raspberry and then plugging my external disk back to it again once it's done.
If your PC is Linux based and/or can read EXT4 formatted drives... then yes. From memory I was actually able to do this using Ubuntu running under "WSL" (Windows Subsystem for Linux)... the trick is to remember to modify the directory and file permissions after you copy them to make sure Umbrel can read them. User/Group 1000:1000 from memory.

If your PC can't read EXT4 formatted drives, you can use ssh/scp and copy the blockchain data from your PC to your external drive connected to the Pi (I have also successfully transferred the blocks this way).

Are you sure there isn't a smarter solution in case of an unclean shutdown? Can't I just delete the last block in my data and retry with bitcoind?
You'd probably need to delete the corrupted block and then do a reindex... that should work.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
August 23, 2021, 04:33:36 PM
So, I'm facing a syncing problem. It takes way too long than what I expected. I set it up yesterday (24 hours must have passed) and it's still on 14.48%. Is this normal or the verification of the blocks takes more than it should? Is there any way I could speed it up? Like verifying the rest of the blocks in my PC which should be faster than with Raspberry and then plugging my external disk back to it again once it's done.

I set up a RPi node with a hard disk (not SSD) and TOR, and it took about a week to do the initial block download.

I have a UPS because power outages are common where I live.
Pages:
Jump to: