Pages:
Author

Topic: ... - page 6. (Read 4512 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005
beware of your keys.
August 17, 2015, 05:15:26 AM
Note that alot of the spike recently was a stress test, it just dropped back down to where it should be under 0.4 mb. Still growing at a good clip but will be years if you extrapolate it not including the spam attack/stress test.

Sure. Disregarding the spike, even in the chart you posted, you can see the average block size has nearly doubled in one year. If that continues, we'll hit 0.8mb per block in a year or so, and that's assuming a steady growth rate. A year or so to start hitting the 1 mb ceiling seems like a safe estimate if you want to figure out what to do about it before you find out experimentally, like it or not.

but it doesn't mean it would double every year, unless the number active wallet grew explicitly fast, it would be impossible to double the block size per year. plus, i am tired to see most of the junk transactions in the blockchain.
legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000
August 17, 2015, 04:57:59 AM
Note that alot of the spike recently was a stress test, it just dropped back down to where it should be under 0.4 mb. Still growing at a good clip but will be years if you extrapolate it not including the spam attack/stress test.

Sure. Disregarding the spike, even in the chart you posted, you can see the average block size has nearly doubled in one year. If that continues, we'll hit 0.8mb per block in a year or so, and that's assuming a steady growth rate. A year or so to start hitting the 1 mb ceiling seems like a safe estimate if you want to figure out what to do about it before you find out experimentally, like it or not.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
August 17, 2015, 04:50:25 AM
If fees ever do get too crazy I'd support a block size limit increase too, but I don't expect that to happen for over a decade if ever.

i think the point is that we cannot wait that it become necessary to increase the blocksize, to actually increase it, we must forecast this, before it happen

if it happen next year what you will do, proceed to fork anyway and built even a bigger mess than what we are facing right now?

if it must be done at some point, it's better to do it early, it's always like that for every thing, not only bitcoin
legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000
August 17, 2015, 04:48:51 AM
re: average block size - wouldn't it make sense to look at the growth rate as well? Zoom out a bit on the chart and see how it looks:
https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-block-size?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
August 17, 2015, 04:39:07 AM
Pages:
Jump to: