Pages:
Author

Topic: . - page 2. (Read 2244 times)

staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
October 05, 2016, 11:35:16 AM
An app is essentially static while this website is dynamic.  The entire site could be changed without your knowledge and you would find out next time you opened it in your browser... the app would need to be upgraded and downloaded and installed and available for all different oper8ing systems.
Uhh. No, that is not how apps work. Apps are not limited to local stuff. They can access the internet too. An App for this forum would fetch data from forum's servers, not have the content hard coded into the app.

Can any of the pro app people explain how an app for this website would be of ANY value to anyone...please?
An app would make it easier to browse the forum on mobile. On small devices, the forum can be fairly hard to read, with the text being small and requiring zoom. However this leads to having to scroll side to side to read the content. Additionally clicking links and buttons can also be hard to do on small devices as these links are also fairly small and also require zooming. An app would just make the site a lot more readable on mobile devices. This would also be fixed if there were a mobile version of Bitcointalk.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
October 05, 2016, 10:03:32 AM
An app is essentially static while this website is dynamic.  The entire site could be changed without your knowledge and you would find out next time you opened it in your browser... the app would need to be upgraded and downloaded and installed and available for all different oper8ing systems.

Can any of the pro app people explain how an app for this website would be of ANY value to anyone...please?
Activity: 535
Merit: 500
October 05, 2016, 06:02:46 AM
I also would be interssted in an App. I downloaded it in the playstore some time ago but it isnt good enough to use it acutally.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
October 04, 2016, 06:17:53 PM
what's its status? is it in any way approved by the staff here? seems like a very easy way to harvest login details to me.

I access it via my browser on mobile. works fine for me. I don't really get apps that are just another way of accessing a website. I want to control how much data is being used up. I can do that via the right browser.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
October 04, 2016, 03:55:31 PM
Isn't a bit counterproductive to create BitcoinTalk Apps for current - quite outdated forum?
I know that new forum software is in testing or quite some time. Will that new forum version support API?
Activity: 1022
Merit: 521
October 04, 2016, 02:48:20 PM
I am also thinking to have a bitcointalk forum app so that I will be reachable from my phone by just one click from the screen of my mobile phone. But because of the security problem I do not like to have that from a weaker developer or from a private person. I like the Bitcointalk team to create and launch an app for their forum with strong security features.
legendary
October 03, 2016, 03:53:42 PM
Apps for this forum are currently hard to do. I wrote a basic one for the forum: https://github.com/achow101/BitcointalkForum but I have since stopped working on it. If anyone wants to continue work on that, then feel free.

The issue with writing apps for the forum is the lack of an API. Right now everything must be done by scraping HTML and then figuring out the correct HTTP requests in order to post. This takes a lot of time and it isn't optimal. When the new forum comes out, it should be mobile friendly and have an API so apps will be easier to write.

A bitcointalk app would be of great interest to me!  There are many times when I am away from my computer (stuck in line, eating lunch by myself, out of town ("Where can I find a BTC ATM in this town?"), etc.) when I could be posting here...

Even now the internet has been down at home for two weeks, grr....  I would then be able to post here via my mobile.

achow101, I hope that your plans re the forum having an API work out and that app writers get on this.

What?  Your mobile doesn't have a browser?
I must be missing something about Apps!
Would sombody enlighten me on the benefits of this App over this site on the web browser?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852
October 03, 2016, 02:31:23 PM
Apps for this forum are currently hard to do. I wrote a basic one for the forum: https://github.com/achow101/BitcointalkForum but I have since stopped working on it. If anyone wants to continue work on that, then feel free.

The issue with writing apps for the forum is the lack of an API. Right now everything must be done by scraping HTML and then figuring out the correct HTTP requests in order to post. This takes a lot of time and it isn't optimal. When the new forum comes out, it should be mobile friendly and have an API so apps will be easier to write.

A bitcointalk app would be of great interest to me!  There are many times when I am away from my computer (stuck in line, eating lunch by myself, out of town ("Where can I find a BTC ATM in this town?"), etc.) when I could be posting here...

Even now the internet has been down at home for two weeks, grr....  I would then be able to post here via my mobile.

achow101, I hope that your plans re the forum having an API work out and that app writers get on this.
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
October 03, 2016, 02:08:05 PM

legendary
October 03, 2016, 01:40:30 PM
Hey guys,

I just saw the BitcoinTalk.org Forum App in the Google Play Store...
so I downloaded the on my smartphone.

I could log me into my account here but I think the app is not very good so let's start the developement of a better BitcoinTalk app! Smiley

Best regards,

Patrick Grin

Why do you need an app when there is a web page?  People get carried away with this App shit.
It adds another level or five of security risk.  Don't do it.
Activity: 117
Merit: 250
October 03, 2016, 01:32:03 PM
Pages:
Jump to: