Pages:
Author

Topic: ㅤ - page 2. (Read 548 times)

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 07, 2021, 03:11:45 AM
Besides NotATether and myself, I wonder who are the other chosen ones.

Although I've never applied, I've got the surprise and the honor to join this selected group. I guess that I receive less sMerit than those who applied, but it's still a boost.
And this is some sort of side info too: don't look for new merit sources only amongst those who applied.

Why do you take Bitcointalk so seriously

Indeed, I feel like some of these complains come from the fact people take the forum far too serious.
On the other hand, I think that everybody can have his own reasons for ignoring users.

These are my personal beliefs and my personal vision of objectivity merit source, so I refused the ignore button. Thus, I do not miss any posts at all and can rate absolutely any user, even if it is my personal hater.

I think that the difference comes from the way/reasoning behind the way we use the Ignore button. I don't use it just because somebody hates me, although I never got to the point somebody would get to hate me.
And we're back to taking the forum too serious  Wink

I agree that merit should be given out based on the content of their posts, not based on who is writing the post.
[~]
With that being said, If you are sufficiently annoying, or are making enough low quality posts to get on my ignore list, chances are you are not going to make many (or any) posts that are worthy of merit.

Thank you! I feel reassured that others too have the same reasoning as I do.

My ignore list contains basically people with extremely low quality posts and people I've found that they never post anything useful or meaningful. For now my ignore list stays by this logic. If any time in the future I'm proven to be wrong (or I get to that conclusion myself), I'll change. I don't use the ignore button that often.
I'd say that the forum is so vast, you have to acknowledge that you cannot fill all the "gaps" and the merit sources have to "complete" each other.
However, I'm very new as merit source, I acknowledge that there's more responsibility involved and I'll see what I'll do in the future.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
July 07, 2021, 02:48:39 AM
Why do you take Bitcointalk so seriously, it is for discussion and therefore I do not think that the use of ignore buttom for spam is meaningful, the purpose of ignoring is that you do not agree with the opinions that that person issues or affect the normal course of your day and therefore you choose to ignore them. These opinions must be from a certain category, and therefore those who ignore many people either because they cannot tolerate “cyber bullying” or do not know how to use this feature.
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
July 06, 2021, 05:41:50 PM
I agree that merit should be given out based on the content of their posts, not based on who is writing the post. This is a principal that I follow when giving out merit, and I would like to think that most other merit sources follow a similar principal. If you review my merit history, you will see me occasionally giving merit to people who I dislike, and who I strongly disagree with, even when I disagree with the specific post (in these cases, the post will receive merit because I believe it makes a well rounded argument, or a lot of effort was put into the post).

With that being said, If you are sufficiently annoying, or are making enough low quality posts to get on my ignore list, chances are you are not going to make many (or any) posts that are worthy of merit. My ignore list is pretty short, and it has been years since I added anyone to my ignore list (intentionally), and the threshhold for me to add you to my ignore list is pretty high.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
July 06, 2021, 05:06:04 PM
I get your point, but they are not essentially the same to me. I can dislike a users posting habit, due to opposing views we may have on some topics, but except they are crossing an ethical line, I wouldn't see a reason to ignore them, but this is just me, other users could have different reasons why they ignore users.
Regardless of your personal reasons however, users are allowed to use the ignore button as they want, and sources should not be an exemption.

I'll reiterate my previous reply and add the merit sources are volunteers and should only appraise boads or users they are comfortable with as that's how they'll function best.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
July 06, 2021, 05:03:48 PM
My ignore list is extensive, though I haven't put any members on it in quite some time.  Most of them got added during the 2016-2018 period when the forum was basically wall-to-wall shitposters--and that was before the merit system.

I absolutely feel comfortable leaving all of those members on my ignore list, because I seriously doubt any of them could change their post quality even if they were inclined to.  Most of them were members who dropped one-line crap nonstop, and those kinds of members are only here to make money or farm accounts.

But in general, I think even if you're a merit source it's up to you whether you want to ignore certain members.  If they have a history of making posts that aren't worth meriting, you don't have an obligation to keep looking at them if you don't want to.  There are plenty of posts that are deserving of merit that you'll see, and if you're a generous merit source you might find yourself running low on sMerits at some point (like me recently).  Why waste time viewing posts from people who chronically drop low-value posts on the forum as if they were manure bombs?  So the short answer is that I think it's totally OK for any merit source to have an ignore list.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
July 06, 2021, 04:38:46 PM
If I ignore users that I do not like, then I will no longer be able to fully consider myself an objective merit source. Because I will only rate the posts of those who I personally like, and those who I do not like, they are on my ignore list and I do not see their posts, even if they are ultra useful. But at the same time, no one forbids me to use the ignore button.
Ignoring a user does not mean you do not like them, it is likely because they post repeated spam to an extent they are infamous for it, and they could also have very extreme views about topics which can be disturbing to other users, in the same way not ignoring a user does not mean you personally like them.

About objectivity, merits sources should make effort to view posts without prejudice, but should not be forced to entertain content they do not want to; it would be best to not overuse the ignore button, but it should be used where necessary, and possibly set up a system to evaluate those on your ignore list to know if there is any change in posting habit.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
July 06, 2021, 08:52:49 AM
I don't know why merit sources are unknown by the rest of the users. Would they really receive PMs from merit beggars? You can understand if someone's a merit source by the way he/she distributes merits. If they're usually generous or they merit very often, they're possibly merit sources.

I state that, yesterday, I became a merit source to avoid any misunderstandings.

But I would like to hear other opinions on this matter. Opinions of others merit sources.
Well, there are some users who I wouldn't ever want to have discussions with. Most of them troll and spread propagandas. Even those aren't included in my ignore list, they were once, but, sometimes, I actually want to read what they have to say. They aren't getting any merits from me except if they add strong arguments to their statements.

Meriting objectively isn't easy, but I'll do my best on useful posts. I'll be encouraged to help newbies rank up, especially those who reply in the Dev & Tech subforum.

Besides NotATether and myself, I wonder who are the other chosen ones.
Activity: 520
Merit: 11957
July 06, 2021, 08:36:56 AM
Pages:
Jump to: