Pages:
Author

Topic: * - page 2. (Read 3763 times)

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
May 23, 2014, 06:46:25 AM
I could see it being done in an upper class home association where the roads are paid for as part of the price of the homes built. With electricity supplied to the home owners.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
May 23, 2014, 01:17:43 AM
Government is where innovation goes to die. And what excuse would liberals have for taxes if roads were paid for through solar power?

Guaranteed Income computed as a negative tax rate up until a certain income level.

I agree with the maintenance issues up-thread. I live 55°N. We have two seasons: winter and construction (where the roads get patched up from all the freeze/thaw cycles).

Edit: saw the "solar freakin' roadways" video. Heated roadways may avoid the freeze-thaw cycles I mentioned. It would be as amazing as frost-free freezers/refrigerators. The huge amount of area covered by road-ways may mitigate the efficiency concerns.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
May 22, 2014, 11:55:28 PM
There is one huge problem with that.

The government owns the roads.

Government is where innovation goes to die. And what excuse would liberals have for taxes if roads were paid for through solar power?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
May 22, 2014, 11:47:48 PM
It is an intriguing idea. If it is economically feasible I would be interested in owning a few. Solar power has potential but still has some technological hoops to jump through.   

Indeed, I was hoping that we could get the Bitcoin community on board. If more funds were raised, the tech could perhaps be developed to a point of feasibility. If it is possible, this could produce a huge amount of demand for Bitcoin. It would really show the potential of the technology.

A truly free market is always better at innovating than any government funded operation. If there is a profit to be realized smart people will find a way to do it and some of the smartest people in the world are crypto fans. I really tend to believe that this community will press the envelope on a lot of technologies including energy.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
May 22, 2014, 11:22:17 PM
It is an intriguing idea. If it is economically feasible I would be interested in owning a few. Solar power has potential but still has some technological hoops to jump through.   
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
May 22, 2014, 11:10:49 PM
I can see two possibilities. First, panels are autonomous agents(owning themselves) which automatically sell surplus energy to surrounding infrastructure. Second, panels are smart property owned by people and operate to produce a profit. The ownership of these panels could then be traded using technology like Colored Coins. Profits produced from the panels would be provable from the block chain.

Why not run your idea with rooftop solar panels?  They get more sunlight, don't require as much maintenance and don't have a large install fee.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
May 22, 2014, 10:57:53 PM
Pages:
Jump to: