Pages:
Author

Topic: [03-04-2018] Bloomberg - exchanges are charging millions to list coins - page 2. (Read 263 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 535
No wonder they make hefty sums notwithstanding the heavily fluctuating value of Bitcoin. But as they say, what do we do with this? There is absolutely nothing we can do with this because it is through the Exchanges that investors are able to actually realize their monies. We are thus under the spell they magnificently orchestrated so we fall unto them thereby making huge bucks while we earn not even half of how much they do. Well, this is part of business. Now we know where a portion of our monies go. But as I have said, there is nothing much we can do.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148
I think the big reason for this is the fact that many altcoins and tokens are very shady and the people behind them often engage in market manipulation via pump and dump, so they can afford to pay those fees, since they will still be in profit. This is harmful for honest projects since their developers have much less funds and can't afford listing.

I wonder what the landscape would look like if this wasn't a thing.

Exchanges would try to list coins basing on their popularity, to make sure that they get the most fees. Some coins might be unprofitable to list, because of very low volumes.
Activity: 322
Merit: 217
Exchanges are in the most advantageous conditions on this market. They can be compared with retail shops in third world countries, a lot of sale representative offer their goods for trading, and the owner of this shop takes bribes, and you will pay him, only for to be presented on the shelves. I know this, because i contacted with this business. The same with crypto, you want your token to be listed, you want volume - pay, pay, pay.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
I wonder if a decentralized exchange would also be possible. Somewhere, someone may be tinkering with the idea of creating an open exchange where everything is dictated by the market. If we want to be truly independent from the traditional controls around us, an assault on the monopoly of the existing exchanges would be the thing to do.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-03/crypto-exchanges-charge-millions-to-list-tokens-autonomous-says

This is of course a no shit Sherlock type of headline, but what I didn't know is that they're charging ongoing annual fees too. Surely the trading fees would've been enough. And I can't see any scenario where they'd remove a successful coin because they weren't being bribed, but maybe it's possible.

Re: ongoing fees -- I had no idea. That's news to me. The politics around exchange listings felt pretty scummy already, but that adds a new angle. It's such an obvious quid quo pro, and major exchange de-listing can really cripple a coin, so it's basically extortion to some degree.

The exchanges are still in cash-grab mode. They know that altcoin trading will move predominantly to decentralized platforms.

It's time for professional stock exchanges to get involved in this market -- current exchanges are shit and incompetent.

All in time. I think Circle's acquisition of Poloniex is the first major step in that direction.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
Exchanges are in a top position when it comes to these legal forms of extortion, but what can you do about it. It's their platform and their rules, so you either abide by these rules or just pack your stuff. Bittrex itself states that it doesn't charge any fees when it comes to listings, but just make it a requirement to offer something useful in terms of the utility of that particular coin. I however don't know how they treat the projects and developers of the listed coins behind the scenes, but that's not our concern, or is it? If the coin produces good enough trading volumes consistently, the exchanges in question wouldn't even dare to put their extortion skills to work. It's time for professional stock exchanges to get involved in this market -- current exchanges are shit and incompetent.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-03/crypto-exchanges-charge-millions-to-list-tokens-autonomous-says

This is of course a no shit Sherlock type of headline, but what I didn't know is that they're charging ongoing annual fees too. Surely the trading fees would've been enough. And I can't see any scenario where they'd remove a successful coin because they weren't being bribed, but maybe it's possible.

The only alt I'm proper familiar with is NEM which has always refused to pay exchanges to list. They've paid for that in lack of volume on occasion too.

Pages:
Jump to: