Pages:
Author

Topic: 1 BTC sold for 9832 US Dollars (!) on ebay (Read 2670 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 03, 2013, 06:32:27 PM
If it was paid (which it almost certainly wasn't) you'd be pretty happy with getting that for 1 bitcoin haha
Activity: 121
Merit: 14
Joke between to friends to draw attention and maybe raise bitcoin price.
Activity: 27
Hmm.. The most logical explanation for this occurrence is likely to be the most common one: bids were placed by non paying eBay customers. The hypothesis that the very top bidders are trying scam the seller seller is unjustified. My reasoning is as follows. If scammers can file chargebacks by only spending a reasonable amount like $150, then the sale would match an actual real world model better. If sales match real world models better, then the scams would be more realistic, making it easier for the sellers to fall for the scam. The sales do not match real world models. Therefore, it is harder for sellers to fall for the scam. Customers intending to file Paypal disputes would not want sellers to be in such a state. Consequently, the top bidders are not trying scam the buyer. Appraising the situation using cost vs. benefit analysis demonstrates that it is improbable that any of the customers who placed the outlandish bids are pulling any scams. The assertion that the seller placed bids on his or her own auction could be true. There is no way to prove that it is not. But it is unlikely to be so.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
maybe money laundering

This seems most likely
legendary
Activity: 974
Merit: 1000
maybe money laundering
Activity: 30
No feedback yet, just wait Smiley
Maybe he will never pay it Sad
   Exceptional Seller!!!   mafishco ( 656)     Jun-18-13 16:44
    1 Full Bitcoin Sent To Your Online Wallet (#161042374155)   C $10,000.00   View Item

Still smells a bit funny.
Activity: 41
I want to believe, Help me JEsus, help me believe!
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
No feedback yet, just wait Smiley
Maybe he will never pay it Sad
Activity: 14
This won't be paid in the end.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem
I wonder how things like these can happen. Same user with different accounts? Purpose?  Huh

+1
Activity: 399
happens on ebay all the time, transaction never actually happens though

True, I think a redditor made the right point as he said:

People sell Bitcoins on ebay with the intention to screw the buyer.
People buy Bitcoins on ebay with the intention to screw the seller.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1d5c2c/i_bought_a_bitcoin_on_ebay_using_paypal_be/
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
happens on ebay all the time, transaction never actually happens though
Activity: 260
Is this the same bitcoin with an image of Buddha and Jesus that Abraham Lincoln was paid for chopping wood back in the day?  Personally, I wouldn't have paid more than $7k for it.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1006
I'm willing to bet up to 10BTC that the paypal transaction will be reversed because the account is hacked or because the buyer will claim they received nothing.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
I wonder if the seller is going to be able to withdraw the money from his paypal account  Roll Eyes
Activity: 759
Merit: 500
well in a couple of years buyer will sell that 1BTC with profit
legendary
Activity: 974
I wonder how things like these can happen. Same user with different accounts? Purpose?  Huh
Activity: 392
I can sell you a btc for half that price if you want Smiley
Activity: 759
Merit: 500
this is how to make money!
Activity: 399
cmon, it was work to copy it in here...  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: