Pages:
Author

Topic: 10 ASICminer Blade setup with backplane is rebooting every hour. - page 2. (Read 6051 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
A guy on IRC Slush's pool said his was resetting every 2 minutes after he placed all 10 on the back plain.  After some testing, they were stable with 7 blades.  At which point he shared his PSU.  I didnt write down the name of what PSU he had but another member recommended this PSU to him:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-403781-001-DL380-1000W-Supply/dp/B001U0EM1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385616853&sr=8-2&keywords=ATSN+7001044-Y000

Thats about as much info as I can give you since i dont own the blades.

That's one of the PSUs I bought to try.  So, good! Smiley  I can simulate the 2 min interval reboot, which seems to be part of the blade's firmware if it doesn't sense a connection to any pool it reboots after roughly 2 minutes assuming it's "dead/sick."

Where it's such a regular interval I have a hard time believing it's lack of power, but it's certainly possible.  When I checked the blade's power usage with the kill-o-watt I saw about 650W at full load.  I will have to throw it back on and keep an eye on what it does when the unit reboots.  I haven't had a chance to catch it in the act yet to see if the PSU has any change in the LED or something like that. 

There has to be a reasonable explanation for this, even if it's a hardware problem.
Activity: 46
A guy on IRC Slush's pool said his was resetting every 2 minutes after he placed all 10 on the back plain.  After some testing, they were stable with 7 blades.  At which point he shared his PSU.  I didnt write down the name of what PSU he had but another member recommended this PSU to him:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-403781-001-DL380-1000W-Supply/dp/B001U0EM1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385616853&sr=8-2&keywords=ATSN+7001044-Y000

Thats about as much info as I can give you since i dont own the blades.
Activity: 21
I have a complete setup I had purchased and setup new from eBay just a few days ago.  They are (10) V2 blue boards and came with the backplane and the HP power supply.

I'm having a very strange issue.  It will mine like a champ for just shy of an hour, then every single blade restarts.

Every hour (58:30) to be exact, the entire setup restarts itself (according to the uptime on each).  Even single blade on the unit restarts.  I originally thought it might be firmware on on the individual blades, but I reset one board independently to see if it would "miss" the restart (since they all normally power up at the same exact time the power of turned on) and it still reset with the rest of the blades.  The only way it could be the blades is if they are communicating somehow across the backplane, but I didn't think that was going on.

So at this point I believe I have narrowed it down to being the PSU.  I am familiar with servers, and realize this is just a hot swap power supply for an HP server.  I'm wondering if the particular one I have is resetting itself because it's not seeing some other communication from the actual server it's expecting to be plugged into and it's restarting itself in hopes to recover.

I found a couple of the two models of PSU that work on Amazon and picked up one of each (relatively cheap) to hedge the bet that it's something funky going on with the PSU. 

Did I miss a step, or does anyone have any insight into what might be going on. 

If it makes any difference, the boards are actually from jonesgear, by way of the ebay seller.  So on request of the ebay seller I tried to contact jonesgear directly to ask what might be going on. 

Any help, or insight, would be greatly appreciated. For completeness, I have been using both BFGminer's stratum proxy, and slush's to try to get this working, and have used both BTCguild and Slush's pools' to see if it pool communication had anything to do with this, both responded the same and the blades restarted regardless of the combination.   

Graph of uptime, showing the regular restarts of every blade: (you can also see the efficiency if getting roasted on each restart, and one blade is definitely worse than the rest at about 5% HW)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HXsLrkJ62-4/Upd43zkfbnI/AAAAAAAAy3k/8rLfBhGMfO4/s800/Chart%2520context%2520menu%2520-%2520Google%2520Chrome%252011282013%2520115238%2520AM.jpg

Config screen from one of the blades:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3tLsQP9E_jU/Upd444g-QNI/AAAAAAAAy3s/rVpXUvYJrNg/s800/Fullscreen-capture-11282013-115257-AM.png
Pages:
Jump to: