Pages:
Author

Topic: 110v miners w/ multiple rigs....how do you do it? - page 2. (Read 479 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 1
It really depends on what you are at now and what you want to go to.   I was upgrading from 100amp to 200amp and it was 3600.  I ended up getting lucky and the power company ran lines to my house that support 400amp so I just need to change the main box if I want to do that.  (Currently it can support 250AMP).   I then have 100 AMP ran to my house and a 200AMP ran to my mining rig setup.   My total cost was $4100.  This included them digging a 30 foot trench that was 3 feet deep to run the power from the transformer to my residence. 

A side note, when I was calling for quotes, most  places said it would be $3800 if my power was ABOVE ground and it goes up a lot if they had to dig.  I just happen to find a contractor who would do it cheaper.    I suggest you upgrade to 400AMP if you can do it because it saves you running more lines in the future.

Good luck!

I am currently looking to also get 240 ran, I would run it myself but I am afraid that my main isn't large enough for the power draw. Does anyone have any idea what the average cost is to get the main upgraded for a residence?
Activity: 84
Merit: 0
I am currently looking to also get 240 ran, I would run it myself but I am afraid that my main isn't large enough for the power draw. Does anyone have any idea what the average cost is to get the main upgraded for a residence?
Activity: 210
Merit: 1
If all you have to do is put in some breakers and run the wire, it's probably something you could easily learn about on youtube or just google searching.    As long as you have the open slots in the breaker panel.

Basically it's turning off the panel, popping in 2 30AMP 240V breakers and running the correct size wire to an L6-30R receptacle.  Then buy a PDU and that will give you some room for 3-4 miners usually.  (Mine draw 5-5.5 amps so I can get 4 on a line and not violate the 80% rule). 

You could always call an electrician and explain what you want to do and see if they can give you an estimate at least on the phone. 

Also if it is continuous you really should only do 80% of the rating. This would be 1920 watts for 120v on a 20 amp circuit.

I would only run one 8 x 1080TI rig on this setup. I use 225-250w per 1080TI.

You really should run 240v with this kind of draw.

Below is my 125amp panel dedicated to mining. Yes, I did it all myself.

I undervolt them and runs roughly 180ish watt each.. so that's why I ran 3 psu instead of 2...

Problem of rewiring is that my electric panel is @ basement and I have to run some seriously wires to first floor laundry room (which I'm using it for mining)..it's a weird NYC townhouse set up I know.....

On top of this....I never ran electric wires before.  I mean I'm pretty handy (I can build a honda engine with my eyes closed) but I don't want to be on the news Smiley  And hiring an electrician is going to cost heck lot more money.

sigh....maybe I should youtube and do it myself Smiley

Jeff-
Also if it is continuous you really should only do 80% of the rating. This would be 1920 watts for 120v on a 20 amp circuit.

How much did getting the this panel installed set you back, I think in the very near future I am going to have to get a 400 amp service 200 on the house, and 200 on the mining shed quite possibly.

Activity: 247
Merit: 59
I undervolt them and runs roughly 180ish watt each.. so that's why I ran 3 psu instead of 2...

Problem of rewiring is that my electric panel is @ basement and I have to run some seriously wires to first floor laundry room (which I'm using it for mining)..it's a weird NYC townhouse set up I know.....

On top of this....I never ran electric wires before.  I mean I'm pretty handy (I can build a honda engine with my eyes closed) but I don't want to be on the news Smiley  And hiring an electrician is going to cost heck lot more money.

Jeff-

If you run 2x 240v 30A circuits to your laundry room it is only two lines. Then get two PDUs.
Activity: 106

Jeff-
Activity: 434
Merit: 251

Like this title says..

I currently have a 12 1080 ti rig running from an 12 gauge extension cord (2 1200w bitmain psu to power 12 gpu's and a 1050w psu to power mb and risers.  The extension wire do get a little warm.  I also have another 6 1080 rig which i put it upstair (afraid ill trip my 20 amp fuse). My real question is....how do you manage to run multiple rigs without re-doing all your house wires?

As others have said if you are wanting to runs as efficient & safely as possible it is really important to use dedicated circuits. I currently have 3 new 20A breakers in the main circuit panel powering all two of my ASIC miners and one of my GPU miners. Also, you have to keep in mind what the main breaker can draw for power as well or you could risk overheating it and tripping the main, a this can be a very bad issue i.e. burning down your house -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM status.
Activity: 529
Merit: 29
The limits are pretty simple. You can’t run more than 20A on a 20A circuit. The only option other than running a lot of dedicated 20A circuits or 30A circuits is to spread your miners around your house.

...and might as well get 240v circuits if you are re-wiring.
Activity: 247
Merit: 59
The limits are pretty simple. You can’t run more than 20A on a 20A circuit. The only option other than running a lot of dedicated 20A circuits or 30A circuits is to spread your miners around your house.
Activity: 106
Like this title says..

I currently have a 12 1080 ti rig running from an 12 gauge extension cord (2 1200w bitmain psu to power 12 gpu's and a 1050w psu to power mb and risers.  The extension wire do get a little warm.  I also have another 6 1080 rig which i put it upstair (afraid ill trip my 20 amp fuse). My real question is....how do you manage to run multiple rigs without re-doing all your house wires?
Pages:
Jump to: