Pages:
Author

Topic: 2 BTC bounty - why can't I get lower Mem clocks? - page 2. (Read 3305 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
Why not just use Afterburner?

Edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg

[ATIADLHAL]
EnableUnofficialOverclocking   = 1
UnofficialOverclockingEULA   = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode   = 2
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod   = 0

And your good to go.

I think you need to do this to the MSIAfterburner.cfg file.

On my 6970s, I wasn't able to go to 685 until I modified this file.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000
Yeah it would be interesting if you could test 300 memclock on the 7970 and if that is as effective as on the 5970s etc.

Try flashing BIOS and report back !

Without killing your card.

Reference 7xxx cards are like the reference 6xxx cards.  Without a change in the card firmware, they are locked to a minimum memclock related to the GPU clock.  I believe you can only go 150 down without it resetting to stock speeds.  And mucking about with the firmware this early in their release cycle could be risky.

So why can I not get it to even go to 600 if 150 is the limit? 
Activity: 348
Merit: 250
Reference 7xxx cards are like the reference 6xxx cards.  Without a change in the card firmware, they are locked to a minimum memclock related to the GPU clock.  I believe you can only go 150 down without it resetting to stock speeds.  And mucking about with the firmware this early in their release cycle could be risky.

I can lower my mem clocks down to 300mhz or lower on my 6970 no problem.  I've never touched the firmware.  It is a reference design.

Activity: 378
Why is it so damn hot in here?
Yeah it would be interesting if you could test 300 memclock on the 7970 and if that is as effective as on the 5970s etc.

legendary

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
I have a 6850 and run at 925/250 (so 250 Mhz mem clock) with Afterburner and have not flashed my bios
legendary

[ATIADLHAL]
UnofficialOverclockingEULA   = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

And your good to go.

I would prefer to do it within CGminer

If it's anything like my non-reference 6970s, then the best you can do is a 150 clock mem-diff unless you flash the BIOS.  Afterburner let me get my memory down to 685 on my 6970s and that was the best I could do without flashing the BIOS (which I won't do because I don't trust myself to do it).
legendary

[ATIADLHAL]

And your good to go.

I would prefer to do it within CGminer
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

[ATIADLHAL]

And your good to go.
Activity: 348
Have you tried clocktweak?  I don't have a 7000 series card, but it lets me lower my mem to 300mhz easily on my various 5830s, 5850s, and 6970.
legendary
I am using CGminer on a dual 7970 mining rig. 

I have the config file adjusted to load these settings:

Engine:  1150
Mem:  300
Intensity: 9
fan: 70

Using Windows 7

Everything works great, and they hash away at 690 MH/s each, but the damn memory clocks refuse to go to anything lower that 1,000.  And they will only go that low after I manually set them within CGminer.  Am I missing something? 

2 BTC bounty to the first person who can help me out and successfully get my mem speeds to where I have seen them on other systems. 

Pages:
Jump to: