Pages:
Author

Topic: 2 weird happening now in ELECTRUM WALLET. (calling all devs from electrum) - page 2. (Read 492 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
I have followed this instructions and everything went fine. Hope this server will not get that attack.
The servers are not "attacked" per se... "Bad" servers are deliberately setup as part of the scam. When it first happened, the scammers seemed to be spinning up large numbers of "Bad" servers on AWS instances. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

In any case, the vast majority of servers are OK... and if you run only the latest official Electrum, you have nothing to worry about from this particular attack. It'll just be inconvenient if your Electrum connects to a bad server, you'll get "unknown error".

As already mentioned, you simply need to connect to a different server, and continue trying different ones, until you no longer get the error.
Activity: 66
Merit: 2
Did you follow the instructions and try connecting to a different server? Huh

The "unknown error" is the expected behaviour if you are on at least version 3.3.3 (the current version at this time), but you are connected to a "bad" server that is attempting to send you the fake error messages about updating to the malware version.

To correct this error, you simply need to connect to a different server. Open the network settings using "Tools -> Network" (or simply click the green dot in the bottom right corner). Click the "Server" tab and select one other than what you currently using. You need to uncheck the "Select Server Automatically" box, then right click on a server in the list and select "use as server". Try different ones until you find one that isn't giving you an error.

For reference, I am currently using:
server: dedi.jochen-hoenicke.de
port: 50002

NOTE: jochen-hoenicke.de is a fairly well known and reputable site... he has the mempool stats that people use for checking fees etc: https://jochen-hoenicke.de/queue/#0,24h

The electrum.hsmiths.com server is generally fairly reliable as well.

I have followed this instructions and everything went fine. Hope this server will not get that attack.
copper member
Activity: 236
Merit: 17
what was server name you connected to?

The "unknown error" is the expected behaviour if you are on at least version 3.3.3 (the current version at this time), but you are connected to a "bad" server that is attempting to send you the fake error messages about updating to the malware version.

To correct this error, you simply need to connect to a different server. Open the network settings using "Tools -> Network" (or simply click the green dot in the bottom right corner). Click the "Server" tab and select one other than what you currently using. You need to uncheck the "Select Server Automatically" box, then right click on a server in the list and select "use as server". Try different ones until you find one that isn't giving you an error.

NOTE: jochen-hoenicke.de is a fairly well known and reputable site... he has the mempool stats that people use for checking fees etc: https://jochen-hoenicke.de/queue/#0,24h

THANKS!
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
Try not to use the wallet file that the Fake Electrum has generated.

Try reading what he wrote. He never installed fake electrum.

OP just change servers like HCP said.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
If I understand it correctly, -snip-
For me, he clearly stated that he deleted the executable, the fact that he said "that wallet" and "downloaded an updated one" means it's the fake Electrum version.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure that Electrum always changes the server in every relaunch if your wallet is configured to "choose automatically" (default) and the chance that it will select the "bad server" is pretty slim. So I'd say, there's something fishy going on his side.
Plus, aside from him, there's no one else here who experienced unsendable bitcoins due to a "bad server", pretty much an isolated case.

If changing server didn't work, he can try my advice.
He literally said “downloaded an updated one FROM electrum.org”; you just cut that part off for some reason.

He also said:

i always ignore all notifications that said to update from here https://github.com/electrum-project/electrum/releases/latest (which is not the right one to update your wallet!) so my funds are not stolen BUT froze in this wallet.

Sounds pretty obvious that he didn’t download the fake wallet.

Also, chances of getting two infected servers in a row aren’t “pretty slim”, I actually got the same server two times in a row once and had to change it manually.

OP: do like the other users said and try selecting a trusted server manually.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
If I understand it correctly, -snip-
For me, he clearly stated that he deleted the executable, the fact that he said "that wallet" and "downloaded an updated one" means it's the fake Electrum version.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure that Electrum always changes the server in every relaunch if your wallet is configured to "choose automatically" (default) and the chance that it will select the "bad server" is pretty slim. So I'd say, there's something fishy going on his side.
Plus, aside from him, there's no one else here who experienced unsendable bitcoins due to a "bad server", pretty much an isolated case.

If changing server didn't work, he can try my advice.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
Instead, restore it to the Original version via SEED. You may also needed to scan the whole computer for possible malware installed by the fake version if there's any.

If I understand it correctly, OP already did delete the old wallet and start from the beginning but when he tried to make a transaction the error comes out because he's connected to a bad server. So here's what happens: he used an old version of Electrum which connected to a bad server and failed to make a transaction. After that, he downloaded a new Electrum (the legit one) and tried to use it but it fails again because he's still connected to a bad server.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
Instead, restore it to the Original version via SEED. You may also needed to scan the whole computer for possible malware installed by the fake version if there's any.

The reason for this is: even the real Electrum does a small backward-incompatibility issue to the wallet file after changing the version (like v3.3.3 to older versions). The Fake version also has write access to your files and must have tinkered your wallet file somehow.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314

first of all, Electrum is AGAIN, under attack. As what they said the last time, the pishing wont happen again. and it does. As of now, yes mine is being attacked/pished by someone. BUT due that i always ignore all notifications that said to update from here https://github.com/electrum-project/electrum/releases/latest (which is not the right one to update your wallet!) so my funds are not stolen BUT froze in this wallet.

1. Receive this notification said to update the wallet how many times today. https://prnt.sc/mfkul1 so i cant even send any transactions out of the wallet right now.

2. Kept calmed, i deleted that wallet, and download an updated one FROM https://electrum.org/#download and after updating the wallet still can't sent my funds out https://prnt.sc/mfky6f .

PS: I have expirience this kind of attack before as i created a topic for it https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.48903952 . And yet, still using it. Becausei believe that Electrum wallet is the most secured bitcoin wallet. Please in also behalf of all users who expirienced this, help us know what's happening. What to do and how to do avoid it.

Calling all developers from Electrum, please response below how to fix this and why this is happening.

Thanks.

Pages:
Jump to: