Pages:
Author

Topic: 2,000 Years of Economic History in One Chart - page 2. (Read 192 times)

Activity: 2072
Merit: 603
November 13, 2023, 09:56:21 AM
Those are cool charts and lot of efforts from the economist for sure. So the three countries USA, India and China seems to be powerful countries of all time since ancient times. I’m looking at the second chart where India seems to have lot of wealth until the mid-years when they came and looted it inside out until slavery became thing of daily routine.  Roll Eyes

Wel it seems they are back on track after that loot. They say what goes around comes around, that’s best example.

By the way you made a point about bitcoin and its importance in the future. I am not sure how strong bitcoin would go but it’s definitely gonna last for very long, but not sure if economist would be able to plot a graph of 2000 years. Bitcoin will only hold importance for us, the decentralised lovers.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
November 13, 2023, 08:10:45 AM
Many of the countries in that list didn't even exist 2000 years ago. Cheesy
For example Turkey that is categorized as "ancient" didn't even exist before 1923, before that there was Ottoman Empire that was only about 600 years old.
Germany and Italy are also not exactly old countries.

I'm also curious to know (since the article didn't help) how they came up with the initial section of this chart (the fist 1000+ years) where Iran alone was 53% of the world both geographically and population wise. How can that be included with Greece and Egypt and the non-existent country of Turkey and only have 10% of the world GDP at that stage Cheesy

P.S. IMO a more interesting chart was the other one that you didn't post.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
November 13, 2023, 06:59:24 AM
There has been a lot of discussion recently about how USD is losing value and similar discussions.

I found this amazing chart which I would like to share, showing when united states became a strong economic power, and how recently that was.

Looking at the chart, I don't think USA gdp will lose significant power in our lifetime, and consequently the USD. However,  other currencies,  specially bitcoin, might play a significant role in the future.
Pages:
Jump to: