Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-03-06 BitCoin Ponzi Scheme by Chris Duane (Truthnevertold) - page 3. (Read 3805 times)

legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Another idiot gold/silver bug. Just one problem: he called it a ponzi scheme in 2011 - then there was the crash. Unfortunately now its trading above the 2011 highs.. ponzi schemes don't recover after a crash. Thats the definition of one- run out of suckers the system collapses to zero as it has no value beyond the scam.

Therefore he's clearly wrong as proven by the facts. Next!  Grin

Precisely.

Also ponzi schemes usually don't involve handing out the very thing that you want the person to 'buy in' on. Its more like the definition of an anti-ponzi. "Here, have a small token to understand the system!", "Thanks!"
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076
"Ponzi scheme" has a definition which people are happy to ignore in order to spread whatever shit it is they are peddling.

An increasing exchange rate due to influx of new users is not enough to fit the definition. The fact that Bitcoin is open source and one can learn everything there is to know about it, if they so desire, should be a clue.

Oh, my arguments may be irrelevant because I'm not going to waste my time beyond this post and won't click the link in the OP.

Don't bother posting more indeed, what you wrote is a nice summary and it should be good enough.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
donator
Activity: 853
Merit: 1000
No. Pirate was a ponzi. Bitcoin is a currency. Ever watch silver trade? It has bubbles and crashes just like bitcoin, yet it's definitely no ponzi.
of course i completely disagree with the video, just stumbled on it on youtube.

even the ECB disagrees in Bitcoin being a Ponzi by its definition.

A Ponzi scheme is an investment fraud that involves the payment of purported returns to existing
investors from funds contributed by new investors. Ponzi scheme organizers often solicit new
investors by promising to invest funds in opportunities claimed to generate high returns with little
or no risk.In many Ponzischemes, the fraudstersfocus on attracting new money to make promised
payments to earlier-stage investors and to use for personal expenses, instead of engaging in any
legitimate investment activity.14

On the one hand, the Bitcoin scheme is a decentralised system where – at least in theory – there
is no central organiser that can undermine the system and disappear with its funds. Bitcoin users
buy and sell the currency among themselves without any kind of intermediation and therefore, it
seems that nobody benefits from the system, apart from those who benefit from the exchange rate
evolution (just as in any other currency trade) or those who are hard-working “miners” and are
therefore rewarded for their contribution to the security and confidence in the system as a whole.
Moreover, the scheme does not promise high returns to anybody. Although some Bitcoin users may
try to profit from exchange rate fluctuations, Bitcoins are not intended to be an investment vehicle,
just a medium of exchange. On the contrary, Gavin Andresen, Lead Developer of the Bitcoin
virtual currency project, does not hesitate to say that “Bitcoin is an experiment. Treat it like you
would treat a promising internet start-up company: maybe it will change the world, but realise that
investing your money or time in new ideas is always risky”.15 In addition, Bitcoin supporters claim
that it is an open-source system whose code is available to any interested party
i omitted the bogus counter-aruments Smiley
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
Another idiot gold/silver bug. Just one problem: he called it a ponzi scheme in 2011 - then there was the crash. Unfortunately now its trading above the 2011 highs.. ponzi schemes don't recover after a crash. Thats the definition of one- run out of suckers the system collapses to zero as it has no value beyond the scam.

Therefore he's clearly wrong as proven by the facts. Next!  Grin
he cited an interesting quote at the beginning:

"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value -- zero."
http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blog/Voltaire.Quote.2BC6

i did not know this insight is that old. I'm adding that to my quotes repository.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKC7iaBKvs
With Bitcoin up to $48 I think it is time to separate the hype from reality.
This is a Part 1 of a two part series on the Bitcoin.
Listen to all.
Follow none.
Pages:
Jump to: