Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-03-20 Al Gore: I'm a Big Fan of Bitcoin (Read 5010 times)

legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
Al Gore is a sociopath you want to jump on your bandwagon.
Internet=Good for everyone, which is exactly why any proper government wants to spy on everyone using it to enhance liberty
Global warming/climate change/whatever you want to call justifying the waste of hundreds of trillions of dollars=Bad for everyone but those wearing golden parachutes who've sabotaged their own planes, figuratively speaking
Bitcoin=Good for everyone who wants economic liberty, which is exactly why any proper government wants to regulate and tax it into near-prohibition
Activity: 34
Merit: 0

All I'm going to say is 'too big to fail' is failed capitalism in practice.

You misspelled corporatism.
You misspelled fascism.
I'd accept either Smiley

"Too big to fail" is central planning, not capitalism.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Al Gore is driven by (as much as a politician can be) passion. It's no wonder he sees the value of a Bitcoin driven economy.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 2119
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

You misspelled fascism.
I'd accept either Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

You misspelled fascism.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 2119
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Activity: 476
So he's smart enough to see what happens as people start exchanging dollars for Bitcoin, but hasn't quite looked forward enough to ponder a bitcoin-bitcoin economy outside of gov't oversight/meddling.  Maybe it's too uncomfortable for them to ponder?

It's impossible for a professional statist to comprehend humans acting in the realm of commerce without the ever helpful and watchful government overseeing.
legendary
Activity: 1458
Did we ever get video/more info on this Al Gore thing beyond the reddit/twitter reports?  Would love to see video.
Yeah, this has not been confirmed...Right?

It has been confirmed.

http://www.pymnts.com/briefing-room/commerce-3-0/the-innovation-project-2013/al-gore-speaks-on-mobile-money-and-the-global-mind/
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Did we ever get video/more info on this Al Gore thing beyond the reddit/twitter reports?  Would love to see video.
Yeah, this has not been confirmed...Right?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
The early hours of PYMNTS.com’s The Innovation Project 2013 featured no shortage of star power. With Market Platform Dynamics CEO Karen Webster leading off the event with a unique take on innovation and the “Oracle of Omaha” Warren Buffett offering his wisdom to the crowd, the bar was set very high for the event’s first panel. Fortunately, former Vice President Al Gore was up to the task, calling in live from London to speak about payments, innovation and his take on a concept he says he’s been developing for years: the Global Mind.

“When Bitcoin currency is converted from currency into cash, that interface has to remain under some regulatory safeguards.
I think the fact that within the Bitcoin universe an algorithm replaces the functions of [the government] … is actually pretty cool,”
Gore said.

http://www.pymnts.com/briefing-room/commerce-3-0/the-innovation-project-2013/al-gore-speaks-on-mobile-money-and-the-global-mind/
So he's smart enough to see what happens as people start exchanging dollars for Bitcoin, but hasn't quite looked forward enough to ponder a bitcoin-bitcoin economy outside of gov't oversight/meddling.  Maybe it's too uncomfortable for them to ponder?
Unless there is anyone on this forum who actually genuinely believes that global climate destabilization is not an issue (really??), then this is purely personal against Al Gore and I don't get it. So why is there such a stark contrast in these forums per the attitude to Al Gore and any other politician?

I'm an American. Bring up another politician's name and I'll probably have the same reaction. They're all buzzards.
legendary
Activity: 1458
The early hours of PYMNTS.com’s The Innovation Project 2013 featured no shortage of star power. With Market Platform Dynamics CEO Karen Webster leading off the event with a unique take on innovation and the “Oracle of Omaha” Warren Buffett offering his wisdom to the crowd, the bar was set very high for the event’s first panel. Fortunately, former Vice President Al Gore was up to the task, calling in live from London to speak about payments, innovation and his take on a concept he says he’s been developing for years: the Global Mind.

“When Bitcoin currency is converted from currency into cash, that interface has to remain under some regulatory safeguards.
I think the fact that within the Bitcoin universe an algorithm replaces the functions of [the government] … is actually pretty cool,”
Gore said.

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
WiW
Activity: 277
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"
Gore in particular is a model specimen of the twisted aristocracy that is the American ruling class. He and his family have made fortune upon fortune in the oil biz yet he's seen as some kind of environmentalist by the less sophisticated.

Let's face it, all politicians from all sides of the spectrum no matter how they do what they do, by nature of the system are sucking wealth from productive people. When politicians are 100X wealthier than your average joe, it's not because they're 100X more productive. And there are loads of republican politicians talking about letting American "capitalism" take the reins when we all know American capitalism is "funnel money from the poor to the rich" (not from the unproductive to the productive).

(Disclaimer: I'm not American)

I don't know anything about his personal life, but let's grant you this. Suppose he did make a fortune in the oil biz. What does this ad hominem attack have anything to do with what he's saying? Let's say he personally actually emits more greenhouses gasses than the entire country, why would that have anything to do with the fact that he's now working to stop it and solve the problem??

Unless there is anyone on this forum who actually genuinely believes that global climate destabilization is not an issue (really??), then this is purely personal against Al Gore and I don't get it. So why is there such a stark contrast in these forums per the attitude to Al Gore and any other politician?
I don't understand what all the Al Gore hate is all about.

Only speaking for myself, it's not just him. I have a severe prejudice against any narcissist in the public sphere sucking wealth from productive people. That would include pretty much every notable member of either party.

Gore in particular is a model specimen of the twisted aristocracy that is the American ruling class. He and his family have made fortune upon fortune in the oil biz yet he's seen as some kind of environmentalist by the less sophisticated.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
It makes sense that he is Satoshi! After all, he invented the internet.  Cool
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
"I'm telling you it's even bigger than Manbearpig! Listen to me, I'm cereal!"
- Al Gore

Guys.  I'm totally being super duper cereal right now!

But really, Al Gore must be a pretty clever guy if he understands what Bitcoin is bringing to the world.  I'm surprised, as I've always envisioned politicians as dinosaurs with tiny, floppy arms, with vision so poor they can't see another few minutes ahead of them.

Are the two Paul's interested in Bitcoin as well?

Ron Paul had an interview about it just yesterday on The Stateless Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-9nOTLS6q-4

See 4:15 for mention and his thoughts.
Activity: 950
Merit: 1001
I don't think Albert would be happy with Bitcoin if he realized how much the climate changed in my house with all the 5830s I've run.

Maybe Gore did this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bitcoin+environment&l=1
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
I understand that as one who sees global climate destabilization as a serious issue makes me part of a minority on these forums, but I don't understand what all the Al Gore hate is all about. When a "climategate whistleblower" (don't get me started) takes bitcoin donations everything's okay, but when a seemingly very clever and intelligent guy supports bitcoin everyone goes nuts because he worries that we're all shitting in our own and only bed?

Even if you disagree with his politics concerns, which shows you have a hard time grasping complex systems or worse simply believing scientists, what's the big deal?? He's with you on the internet thing, and he's with you on the bitcoin thing. Give it a rest. Say thank you. Retweet it.

And while we're on it, can someone point me to where Al Gore claims to have invented the internet already??

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
Pages:
Jump to: