Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-03-26 - Trace Mayer on BBC Newsnight tonight at 10:30pm London need copy (Read 5348 times)

legendary
Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000
As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University !

Oh, please don't throw me in that briar patch!

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
Awesome job Trace!  I see what you did when you refused to focus on bitcoin's price volatility and instead focused on its utility... brilliant!

And all in a way to make people wish they had owned it with an inclusion of potential prices and fear of loss playing on the viewer's greed; that's Jedi Master salesmanship right there!

As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University !
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
you know the guy who i'm really sick and tired of hearing from?  DAVID BIRCH.

how many times have i heard that idiot say that there probably will be a new virtual currency of the future, but it's not Bitcoin?  and how many times have i failed to hear him say why?
legendary
Awesome job Trace!  I see what you did when you refused to focus on bitcoin's price volatility and instead focused on its utility... brilliant!

And all in a way to make people wish they had owned it with an inclusion of potential prices and fear of loss playing on the viewer's greed; that's Jedi Master salesmanship right there!

Even sold Mr. Knowles; poor guy didn't know what hit him.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
Awesome job Trace!  I see what you did when you refused to focus on bitcoin's price volatility and instead focused on its utility... brilliant!
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Magic Staff
About how Trace Mayer uses Bitcoins to pay for stuff:
At 4:29 the interviewer asks "But what are you actually using them for?"
Trace Mayer
4:35 "pay independent contractors that are all over the world, whether they are in India or the Philippines".
4:41 "I've used them to purchase digital products such as e-books or mp3 files".
4:46 "I've also used them to order goods from different websites that accept them online and in other cases I've traded them for euros or British pounds or dollars when I've been traveling.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
Yeah, Trace did a great job! Definitely agree we need him out in front of the camera more.

More Trace, more Eric, less Taaki!!!
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1134
Yeah, Trace did a great job! Definitely agree we need him out in front of the camera more.
Activity: 379
Is there a youtube link? or something to be able to whatch this talk outsie of UK?
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
I think the Economist guy was terrified when he looked up and it wasn't Taaki.

I loled hard! : )

Great job, Trace!
Activity: 192
Merit: 100
really that hard to find? there are so many. Max Keiser (ok persona non grata perhaps for western media), Amir Taaki (already appeared in a clip at the guardian.co.uk) etc...
Please not Amir Taaki...
legendary
Merit: 1007
It seems BBC had a very difficult time finding someone 'articulate' for the 'pro-Bitcoin' side of the story and they wanted someone in London

really that hard to find? there are so many. Max Keiser (ok persona non grata perhaps for western media), Amir Taaki (already appeared in a clip at the guardian.co.uk) etc...
WiW
Activity: 277
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"
Will watch when I have a few minutes. Can't wait.

Trace, you need to talk more. You're clear, consistent and charismatic when you talk about bitcoin, something hard to find. Get yourself in front of a youtube camera more often. If you opened a youtube channel I'd be subscriber number one.
legendary
Quote from: sunnankar

It seems BBC had a very difficult time finding someone 'articulate' for the 'pro  anti-Bitcoin' side of the story. 

FTFY
legendary
I think the Economist guy was terrified when he looked up and it wasn't Taaki.
legendary
Wish they would have given Trace the last say, but I think it was good for what it was.

It seems BBC had a very difficult time finding someone 'articulate' for the 'pro-Bitcoin' side of the story and they wanted someone in London (which is too bad because had I known I would have stayed an extra day as I had flown from London to San Diego the day before!). Perhaps too many Bitcoin users spend their bitcoins on Silk Road instead of saving them?

So, I was added to the story pretty much last minute and we even had some technical difficulties right before going on air. Thus, I am pretty satisfied with BBC's journalistic job all things considered.

Well done Trace ... wish they had let you say more. You had them on the run, just keeping it simple and sane.

That stuttering waif from The Economist was trying so hard to say "Gold Bad, Bitcoin Bad!" that he couldn't string a relevant, sensible sentence together. His body language seemed incredibly defensive.

Yes, I was kind of surprised by Mr. Knowles's statements. Bitcoin is actually a really bad tool for money laundering. But whatever. He also seems to conflate a bunch of issues such as (1) store of value, (2) medium of exchange and (3) value transfer system.

I wish I had an opportunity rebut his points on money laundering by retorting about freedom of speech and the issues anonymity by talking about FinCEN guidelines and the permanent record in the blockchain of all transactions.

But the time constraints and BBC's plan, given the technical difficulties we had earlier and the need for a contingency, made a lot of sense to have the time allocated the way it was.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Trace Mayer is scheduled for an interview focusing on Bitcoin on BBC Newsnight on 26 March 2013 at 10:30pm London time (6:30EST; 3:30pm PST).

Any help with recording, etc. would be appreciated.

NOTE: The full 9:20 segment is available. It followed a rather hair raising piece on Cyprus and potential capital controls.

Well done Trace ... wish they had let you say more. You had them on the run, just keeping it simple and sane.

That stuttering waif from The Economist was trying so hard to say "Gold Bad, Bitcoin Bad!" that he couldn't string a relevant, sensible sentence together. His body language seemed incredibly defensive.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
It seems they gave that guy from the economist a lot more time, but jesbus he just sort of stuttered and couldn't make sense of his own thoughts.  Wish they would have given Trace the last say, but I think it was good for what it was.
Pages:
Jump to: