Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-04-07 SeekingAlpha - Bitcoin: Buyer Beware, This Is A Classic Bubble And .. (Read 4895 times)

Activity: 533
Merit: 500
A few mistakes can be forgiven but ugh, so much FUD and misinformation.  Yuck.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Maybe we should call gold "the gold" and silver "the silver", then.

Cheesy  I fully support using that methodology on any comments or rebuttals.  Guaranteed to drive the metalbugs crazy.

Ok, I'll use it when appropriate (in cases I want to teese them)
Activity: 588
Maybe we should call gold "the gold" and silver "the silver", then.

Cheesy  I fully support using that methodology on any comments or rebuttals.  Guaranteed to drive the metalbugs crazy.
donator
This guy actually did research, and you guys call it FUD...really? He read everything that was available on Bitcoin and you call it out as a lame FUD attempt. -_- Bitcoin isn't some miracle wonder support.

reading does not imply understanding. This guy didn't think at all. He surely didn't understand the parts about austrian economics or mining.
donator
The price of gold is fixed by a central authority.
Really ? lol

yeah, didn't you know this? It's 50$... always has been.
donator
Ever wonder you see such inflammatory, unresearched garbage on Seeking Alpha.

Simple
Author payment: $0.01 per page view, with minimum guarantee of $100 for Pro articles and $500 for Alpha-Rich Pro articles plus free access to Seeking Alpha Pro.

The more inflammatory it is, the more it gets linked to, the more the author gets paid.

I could most likely write some inflammatory stuff that draws more attention and says the exact opposite.
donator
Article provides yet more evidence that any writer who calls it "the bitcoin" instead of just "bitcoin" is usually a newbie who hasn't studied Bitcoin long enough and will therefore contribute nothing but already debunked fallacies.

Incidentally BrotherJohnF still calls it "the bitcoin". He's surely not against it (no bull either, but not against it) and he understands bitcoin quite well. I don't know, sounds weird. Maybe we should call gold "the gold" and silver "the silver", then.

My comment to the article: MY GOD! At least take more time to research than to write.

Very keynesy piece of fud.
Activity: 315
Merit: 255
Yes, classical idiot who did not even research one bit...

That's not fair. I read the article and I only found a couple factual errors -- no more than any other article.

My perception is that the author is very much against returning to a fixed money supply, such as a gold standard, and is terrified that Bitcoin might be the impetus to lead governments in that direction. He is trying to discredit Bitcoin in any way he can -- flawed logic, half-truths, hyperbole, slander, and innuendo.

The thing is that Bitcoin doesn't resemble gold (or a multi-metal standard) anyway. Sure, there's a limited supply... for each particular chain, but because OPEN SOURCE there's no limit to the number of competing chains that could emerge. Some chains may grow like a religion (e.g.: the $180 chain), while others may struggle and be labelled heretics (Litecoin, Novacoin, PPCoin, etc.). I see the competition as the real decentralisation. The whole "distributed server" thing (and all the convoluted crap to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks) seems like a distracting side-show to get the system bootstrapped.

Bitcoin's real power seems to lie in the fact that it efficiently uses the freedom of information, and various other freedoms (cooperation, collusion, public discussion, etc.) that modern society allows, to potentially create... something that is superior to and less susceptible to corruption than fractional reserve.

Doesn't what you wrote support the Bitcoin/gold metaphor? Substitute the alt-coins for elements
Activity: 315
Merit: 255
People like the author keep trying to understand Bitcoin by shoving it inside a centralized currency model, and then they get all up in arms when things don't seem right.

His entire argument follows the same pattern: Ben Bernake does this, the FED does that, but if we look at the parallel with Bitcoin all these horrible things happen. Author is too dense to realize that Bitcoin purposely has little in common with the current monetary system and therefore does not share its properties. I love the part where he says a hacker can print BTC.. the entire design of the system means that's precisely what can't happen.

Its like if I read an article about trucks and then complained because if you look at all this data about bicycles you could see that a truck would never work as a vehicle.
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
Please bear with me
My perception is that the author is very much against returning to a fixed money supply, such as a gold standard, and is terrified that Bitcoin might be the impetus to lead governments in that direction. He is trying to discredit Bitcoin in any way he can -- flawed logic, half-truths, hyperbole, slander, and innuendo.

Yes, I'd agree with this assessment. If anything, this is a hit piece, and a well constructed hit piece at that. The author clearly understands the threat that Bitcoin poses to current monetary system, and is purposefully smearing it. He uses any trick imaginable and stops at nothing to discredit Bitcoin and sway uninformed opinions against it.

It is no use arguing fine points with this guy - no intelligent discussion is possible and you cannot win. He understands what he is doing and won't change his position regardless of arguments.

We should be ready to see more hit pieces like this, written from a pure propaganda standpoint, once current "Bubble-bubble!" talk from uninformed journalist crowd gets old and dies out.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
Believe it or not, people don't even know who created the bitcoin, or who is behind it. The whole concept was created by a pseudonymous person or group named Satoshi Nakamoto.

Why does it matter WHO created bitcoin? This is an internet technology, not a fucking celebrity show.

People use bitcoin because it is useful, not because of personality cult. And anyhow, bitcoin is constantly evolving. The original inventor only got it started.

This is just as fallacious a saying that space exploration is a bad idea because the modern rocket was invented by a Nazi.

legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
Yes, classical idiot who did not even research one bit...

That's not fair. I read the article and I only found a couple factual errors -- no more than any other article.

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
V for Victory or Rather JustV8
This guy actually did research, and you guys call it FUD...really? He read everything that was available on Bitcoin and you call it out as a lame FUD attempt. -_- Bitcoin isn't some miracle wonder support.

Miracle wonder support = Wonderbra?

Only for Wonder Woman.  Grin

@Kazu, he said Theoretically, not technically, and that is all true.  Also Bitcoin itself has always been one giant theory. It meets criteria, but doesn't meet them all the way.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
The 800lb Gorilla:

Reading about this bitcoin, I noticed that no reporters were asking the most important question, who gets the money for the newly issued bitcoins? There are 25 bitcoins generated every 10 minutes, or about $35,000 currently. In the articles I read, no one bothered ask who gets that money. Under our current monetary system, there is zero personal incentive for Ben Bernanke to print money, zip. Ben prints the money and gives it to some bond holder; the bond holder gets US dollars for their bond, the bond then gets deposited at the Fed. No one personally benefits from the newly printed money. Ben didn't print the money and run off and build a mansion, he simply transformed an illiquid asset into a liquid asset, that is it. The bond was purchased in the open market at market rates. The interest from the bond gets returned to Congress. Ben has absolutely no financial incentive whatsoever to print money. His incentive is keeping his job by following the monetary guidelines defined in the Fed's charter (for more info read about the Fed's duel mandate of low inflation and full employment.) Under the bitcoin system, there is a huge incentive to cheat and print money, and when those bitcoins are printed, we have no idea where the money goes, and that isn't a joke. It could be some guy paying for his mansion in the Canary Islands, or Kim Jung Um funding a new missile program for all we know.

The way bitcoin explains the system in their Wiki is similar to the way the gold standard was implemented back in the 1800s, they even use similar language. Sorry about the linking to a Wiki, but because of the secrecy of this bitcoin, there aren't a lot of credible sources. This Wiki however is linked on the front page of the bitcoin website as a source for more information. I take that as a sign of confidence/endorsement from whoever is behind bitcoin.

Bitcoins are awarded to Bitcoin nodes known as "miners" for the solution to a difficult proof-of-work problem which confirms transactions and prevents double-spending. This incentive, as the Nakamoto white paper describes it, encourages "nodes to support the network, and provides a way to initially distribute coins into circulation, since no central authority issues them."

Note how they use the term "incentive" to print bitcoins. Two years ago, the incentive was under $1 to create a bitcoin, now it is over $140. That is an incentive to print money out of thin air if I've ever seen one (more on this topic below). Also the miner analogy is way off. Miners in 1849 had to work long hard hours to discover an ounce of gold and have it minted into coins. Gold is called a precious metal for a reason; it is of very limited supply. There is no shortage of electrons and pushing a button on a keyboard doesn't count as hard work. As the hackers recently proved, all it takes is a push of a button and the bitcoins evaporate. This literally could be the ultimate Ponzi scheme, only this time Ponzi is hidden behind a collective network of computers. Gold can work as a currency because it is inelastic. You simply can't print gold out of thin air. That is not true for a bitcoin. A hacker can "print" as many bitcoins as there are electrons in a blink of an eye.

This part was the worst.

The part that I considered funny is where he listed all the properties a currency must have and then said "technically, yes" for bitcoin right after them.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

Miracle wonder support = Wonderbra?
Activity: 406
Wow, this guy claims that any of us can print/mint new Bitcoins at will.  I guess I'll go make 100k BTCs right now.
Activity: 661

did u happen to write this garbage?
Activity: 280
V for Victory or Rather JustV8
Activity: 898
Merit: 1000
That is not true for a bitcoin. A hacker can "print" as many bitcoins as there are electrons in a blink of an eye.

Can one of you 'hacker' types please teach me how to do this. I would like to learn. I will pay you in Bitcoin once I can print them at will...
Pages:
Jump to: