Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-04-24 TechCrunch "Obama’s Fmr. Chief Economic Advisor On Bitcoin’s Use" - page 2. (Read 2279 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Wow, these guys are going full retard. The usefulness of Bitcoin as a method of payment is hardly affected by it's price fluctuations, for the simple reason that merchants can easily get all their bitcoins converted to USD or EUR or whatever, through Bitpay. And with a .99% fee, this is still a lot cheaper than credit cards or paypal.

For consumers it doesn't matter either, because they can always buy more bitcoins once they've spent some.

I have to call BS on this one, sorry.

If I purchased BTC @ $166 this morning to make a transaction 5 seconds ago @ $146.....that transaction would cost 12% (12% more bitcoin, which is 12% more USD as the store of value has changed) plus the spread, which is usually 0.5% - 1% and must be taken into account in merchant pricing through BitPay. And don't forget BitPay's 1% fee....minimum 13.5% in fees.

No, foreign exchange risk (currency risk) is actually a very serious issue. Hedging for this type of risk was impetus for the futures/forex industry.

And I would hesitate to call a panel that contains Nobel Laureates 'full retard'.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Still, people are investing their own money in Bitcoin. Question is, do you want to bet against 87 percent of top economists?

You bet I do.
So do I.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
This from the "experts" who said bitcoin would never reach parity with the dollar.  Roll Eyes

Name those "experts".
I mean the financial services industry more broadly. I think they simply do not understand bitcoin... yet.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
This from the "experts" who said bitcoin would never reach parity with the dollar.  Roll Eyes

Name those "experts".
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
I think this quote (from the comments after the article) sums it up nicely:

Well, given that economists are almost always wrong, especially when they nearly all agree, this could be read as bullish for Bitcoin.
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
Still, people are investing their own money in Bitcoin. Question is, do you want to bet against 87 percent of top economists?

You bet I do.
Activity: 358
Merit: 250
I would've been deeply concerned if survey results had been reversed.  These people have proven that they can't predict their way out of a wet paper bag.

As such, this almost unanimous negative opinion is excellent news.

+1
Perhaps it would be more interesting to ask economists who foresaw the current crisis, rather than those who were responsible for it.
Activity: 525
Merit: 500
I would've been deeply concerned if survey results had been reversed.  These people have proven that they can't predict their way out of a wet paper bag.

this +1
Activity: 588

Activity: 576
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

I thought we were already past the laughing point. Apparently not.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Wow, these guys are going full retard. The usefulness of Bitcoin as a method of payment is hardly affected by it's price fluctuations, for the simple reason that merchants can easily get all their bitcoins converted to USD or EUR or whatever, through Bitpay. And with a .99% fee, this is still a lot cheaper than credit cards or paypal.

For consumers it doesn't matter either, because they can always buy more bitcoins once they've spent some.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
2013-04-24 TechCrunch "Obama’s Fmr. Chief Economic Advisor On Bitcoin’s Usefulness: “Hahahaha. ROTFL”"
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/24/austan_goolsbee-on-bitcoins-usefulness-hahahaha-rotfl/
Pages:
Jump to: