Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-07-01 Bitcoin Wallet in Africa - www.kipochi.com - page 3. (Read 6788 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018
Nice misconceptions and stereotypes you have there.
Unfortunately the ship has almost sailed in Africa, most countries use mobile phones for payments, but the market was wide open until just recently. They still paid in goats(to stay in tune with your approach) not so long ago.

That 'most countries are using mobile phones for payment' is hardly a missed opportunity.  If they are using litecoin... then yes, I'll agree, but they are using local, proprietary systems.  It's still a massive opportunity for many reasons.  With bitcoin they can pay for things globally, and in turn receive remittances instantly.  Keep in most of them don't have bank accounts.  Also, the political systems their are in pretty bad shape.  The managing of their currencies might even be worse than the USD.  Finally, to your point, they are already comfortable with digital, phone based currency.  Provide them with a vastly superior e-currency and you don't think they will go for it?

Edited to fix bad quote format
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
Bitcoin will be widely adopted in Africa when they realize how it's convenient for buying AK-47's and selling smuggled diamonds Smiley
Nice misconceptions and stereotypes you have there.
Unfortunately the ship has almost sailed in Africa, most countries use mobile phones for payments, but the market was wide open until just recently. They still paid in goats(to stay in tune with your approach) not so long ago.
donator
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin will be widely adopted in Africa when they realize how it's convenient for buying AK-47's and selling smuggled diamonds Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Any way to invest in kipochi or buy shares?

Right!  That would be a smart move for sure!
legendary
I really do hope financial revolution starts from Africa out. The people there need it more than anyone else.

Financial revolution, in Africa? Not anytime soon.

Getting fees lower than 9% would indeed be a financial revolution in Africa.  Is that really so impossible?

I would think it is just a matter of time then.  They really need more options it sounds like and this might really solve some problems for them.  I am excited about that on a level that is more then just about my own little stash of BTC growing in value.  This will help the less fortunate lower income people by giving them the ability to have better banking, something (that in spite of the fact our 1st world banking system is not perfect by any means) that is necessary for economic growth and productivity for sure.  Like I said before, some of the outreach organizations that are working in Africa right now should get involved.  Not only should they start taking donations in BTC, they should start helping people get set up with Kipochi.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
I really do hope financial revolution starts from Africa out. The people there need it more than anyone else.

Getting fees lower than 9% would indeed be a financial revolution in Africa.  Is that really so impossible?
Activity: 328
Merit: 250
In a report dated January 2013, the World Bank says sending money to Kenya costs about 9.2 per cent of the value of the transfer, which is lower than the 11.89 per cent average cost for remitting cash to African countries.

Kenyans living abroad sent $1.17 billion in 2012 as per Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) data. The total remittances figure is, however, much higher since CBK data does not capture cash sent through informal channels. Remittances to Africa are estimated to have hit $60 billion in 2012.

The most expensive sending markets in the sample are African countries, specifically South Africa, Tanzania, and Ghana, which measure 20.7 per cent, 19.7 per cent, and 19.0 per cent

Looks like neighboring Tanzania needs bitcoin remittance a lot more than Kenya.  Kipochi can charge outrageous fees and still undercut everything else.

Cost of money transfer to Kenya lowest in Africa
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Cost-of-money-transfer-to-Kenya-lowest-in-Africa/-/539552/1679122/-/format/xhtml/-/ab4cul/-/index.html
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
+1
+1
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Mater artium necessitas
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Any way to invest in kipochi or buy shares?
Activity: 328
I can't find any information on fees to convert between M-Pesa and Bitcoin.  I am guessing it is outrageous.
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
+1
legendary
Activity: 1638
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
Sounds like a good idea.  Hopefully they have a decent infrastructure, a capable crew and sufficient cash reserves to survive until this gets off the ground.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

Even if it's just for facilitating local level trade, wouldn't that be better than what they already have?
legendary
Yay, the screenshot shows "millibits"!

And that is one of the reasons BTC is great.  It can be reduced to amounts for anyone to get into it. Smiley
WiW
Activity: 277
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"
Yay, the screenshot shows "millibits"!
Activity: 57
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000
Landscaping Bitcoin for India!
Very Awesome indeed!
legendary

Really great!  I agree!  It would be great if some of the groups that are already starting to give micro loans to help people (Such as World Vision International) would see the benefits of introducing Bitcoin to them as well. 
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
Pages:
Jump to: