Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-07-02 BitcoinFoundation.org - Response to CA DFI Warning Letter (Read 6171 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
so what does Patrick Murck do except try to bring more regulation to Bitcoin?

perhaps Dax Jensen should be TBF's head attorney?
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Not to be too cynical, but I wonder if this was planned...

Granted California leads the way for the US, I'm curious if all the same arguments hold up in Ohio, or any other state for that matter.

Is this simply a defense for the California law, or also the FINCEN guidance?

Either way, awesome job Foundation!
The FinCEN is guidance on enforcement and not basic law, and not adjudicated or even well clarified either.
So this response is based on California law.

"The same rationale that applied to the sale of a peso should prevail under the California statute with regard to the sale of a bitcoin."
The California law makes different distinctions from Federal law.
Federal distinguishes also between current money of a foreign nation and other payment instruments.  

If CA does issue a concurring opinion letter, that would be the epic win.

"If CA does issue a concurring opinion letter, that would be the epic win."

So FINCEN guidance is for enforcement of federal laws?  

Would the epic win be the same as Washington legalizing pot?  It's legal at the state level, but illegal at the federal level?  

Even though I understand you're saying it's not an "illegal" at the federal level, but merely interpreted to be illegal without registration based on FINCEN guidance which isn't exactly "illegal" but rather not congruent with their interpretation of existing rules which they (FINCEN?) would be required to enforce.

So the thoughts would be Cali says it's cool with this interpretation of Cali law, and then someone at the federal level says yeah, we think the same is a good interpretation of federal law/regulation, and then FINCEN issues guidance saying, yeah, I guess that's cool, so no registration necessary?

So a three step process?
There's a lot more steps in the journey.
Banking is regulated by states, there are 50 + some state-like geographies.
When it gets into inter-state issues, the federal jurisdiction gets more power.
The federal is broken into districts, the districts do not always agree.
If it is a constitutional matter, it can go to SCOTUS (supreme court of the US).

California is not a horrible jurisdiction if we were doing forum shopping.
NY is more banking centric, and California does things right sometimes, like this today:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/california-man-found-not-guilty-in-chalk-vandalsim-case-at-bank-of-america-branches

Glad there was no mention of bitcoin, but I hope he learns about them soon to help his cause!
legendary
Activity: 1204
Gresham's Lawyer

Granted California leads the way for the US, I'm curious if all the same arguments hold up in Ohio, or any other state for that matter.

The FinCEN is guidance on enforcement and not basic law, and not adjudicated or even well clarified either.

"The same rationale that applied to the sale of a peso should prevail under the California statute with regard to the sale of a bitcoin."
Federal distinguishes also between current money of a foreign nation and other payment instruments.  

Would the epic win be the same as Washington legalizing pot?  It's legal at the state level, but illegal at the federal level?  

Even though I understand you're saying it's not an "illegal" at the federal level, but merely interpreted to be illegal without registration based on FINCEN guidance which isn't exactly "illegal" but rather not congruent with their interpretation of existing rules which they (FINCEN?) would be required to enforce.

So the thoughts would be Cali says it's cool with this interpretation of Cali law, and then someone at the federal level says yeah, we think the same is a good interpretation of federal law/regulation, and then FINCEN issues guidance saying, yeah, I guess that's cool, so no registration necessary?

So a three step process?
There's a lot more steps in the journey.
Banking is regulated by states, there are 50 + some state-like geographies.
When it gets into inter-state issues, the federal jurisdiction gets more power.
The federal is broken into districts, the districts do not always agree.
If it is a constitutional matter, it can go to SCOTUS (supreme court of the US).

California is not a horrible jurisdiction if we were doing forum shopping.
NY is more banking centric, and California does things right sometimes, like this today:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/california-man-found-not-guilty-in-chalk-vandalsim-case-at-bank-of-america-branches
legendary

So a three step process?
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
wondering why this story, or rather the response, is not making more news headlines??
Nobody was killed or caught in infidelity?
How many July 4th hotdogs can a legal opinion letter sell?
Activity: 899
Merit: 1029
BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources
Agreed, good strategy.
Activity: 163
Merit: 100
Really happy to see the Foundation using this situation to spread understanding of Bitcoin to officials and regulators, rather than simply covering their own butts. That's what we signed up for, keep up the good work!!
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
interested in MSANTORI's opinion on this response.....or anyone else who can poke holes in the response.
Activity: 336
wondering why this story, or rather the response, is not making more news headlines??
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer

Activity: 350
Activity: 461
Merit: 251
Boy, I sure am glad we have Bitcoin Foundation to help fight the legal battles Wink
Activity: 526
Merit: 508
My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck
I still wish they'd have used the word "Nincompoop" just once in the response!
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Bitcoin Foundation, I think you just scored some major points.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
at least they're doing part of what we pay them  to do :p
Activity: 156
Merit: 10
Founder of Bitbond
They definitely chose a good way to answer!
Activity: 362
Great response - essentially taking some negative attention and turning it into a huge win!
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
This is an excellent response!

All bitcoin enthusiasts should read this. It does the best job that I have seen to qualify what bitcoin is and is not, from a money transmitter perspective but also simply from a "money" perspective.

Great work.
Pages:
Jump to: