Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-12-19 Newsbtc: Overstock.com to Begin Accepting Bitcoin Second Half of 2014 - page 2. (Read 2636 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Pretty big news. I see Overstock commercials all the time here. I bought computer parts from them back in the day.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Alexa is ranking overstock.com as  nr. 661, nr. 137 in US (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/overstock.com)
This is a pretty good news actually.
Is there an official statements somewhere?
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125
Yay!  Somewhere else to spend my coins when they are worth $10,000 each!   Grin
It is great news.  I wish they were not waiting until the second half of 2014 though.  Now would be better. Wink
the epitome of delusion here...

There is no reason to think Bitcoin will not reach 10K USD soon. Remember when 10K BTC was worth a pizza ?

EDIT: Bitcoin hodler forever.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
This is indeed a huge news, once overstock.com starts accepting btc, it will open up a floodgate of other stores to follow suit.

Can anyone else corroborate the news, though?
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142
Whimsical Pants

It is great news.  I wish they were not waiting until the second half of 2014 though.  Now would be better. Wink

If folks don't start spending them while they are worth less than 10k we won't see retailers take them successfully and they won't go up.  Kinda a catch 22.

Or did you mean you think they will be 10k when in Q3 2014. Smiley.  I like that better.
Activity: 680
Merit: 500
This is pretty big news!  Overstock.com definitely seems quite a bit of transaction volume.  It'll be interesting to see how many BTC transactions are conducted.

If this is true then my estimate is that this is more than just "pretty big" news...
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

the epitome of delusion here...
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Yay!  Somewhere else to spend my coins when they are worth $10,000 each!   Grin

It is great news.  I wish they were not waiting until the second half of 2014 though.  Now would be better. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
This is pretty big news!  Overstock.com definitely seems quite a bit of transaction volume.  It'll be interesting to see how many BTC transactions are conducted.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
The announcement comes directly from Overstock.com CEO Patrick Byrne, who spoke to me briefly on Wednesday in an interview by phone. Byrne told me that the company is still working out the logistics of accepting the currency, but notes that they plan to work independently of bitcoin payment processors like Coinbase or BitPay by implementing a proprietary system to manage the transactions. Byrne says Overstock will have no marginal cost in the implementation, so it’s something they’ll keep plugged in. If after a year or two Overstock sees minimal bitcoin purchases, that may be the time to pull that plug.

This is a hugely important milestone in bitcoin history. An online retailer the magnitude of Overstock surely has the power to become the catalyst in widespread acceptance of the digital currency in the online marketplace, but Byrne noted that at the end of the day, it really all depends on how many users end up paying with bitcoin.

“It will put [Overstock] at a competitive edge if, and only if, the general population starts thinking and using bitcoin,” he said. “We’re willing to take the first step and see.”

http://newsbtc.com/2013/12/19/overstock-com-begin-accepting-bitcoin-2nd-half-2014/
Pages:
Jump to: