Pages:
Author

Topic: [2014-01-31] Forbes - Silk Road Vendor Filing Claim For Seized Bitcoins - page 2. (Read 2625 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 100
Good luck to him, i hope he succeeds!
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
If totalitarians somehow manage to fail at screwing PlutoPete via guilt by association, they will just "determine" that the only possible definition of a bong, is "illegal drug paraphernalia", even though you can put uncontrolled substances such as tobacco, cloves, or even non-drugs like Coca-Cola in them.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/01/31/silk-road-vendor-filing-claim-for-seized-bitcoins-argues-he-sold-only-legal-items/

On Thursday, Ward began the process of retaining a lawyer to file a claim for what he says were 100 bitcoins–worth around $95,000 at current exchange rates–seized by the FBI in the takedown of the Silk Road online black market for drugs last October. Unlike most of Silk Road’s sellers, Ward says he earned his bitcoins through entirely legal means, offering the same merchandise that he advertises on the public Internet from his head shop Planet Pluto in Devon, England.

There were many legal sellers on Silk Road. I had money on deposit on SR at the time of the seizure for coin mixing purposes as the SR mixer was huge and provided a pretty good protection against taint analysis for the cost of transaction fees only. If my deposit was worth more I'd be doing the same thing.

Go PlutoPete! I'm so happy that it's him who decided to fight this. For those who don't know, PlutoPete was well known on SR he sold pipes, papers and bongs and had written before about how he registered his Silk Road business with tax authorities in the UK.

Also interesting:

All of that means the FBI, who were in communication with the NCA, should have considered Ward’s claim to some of the Silk Road bitcoins, according to Steven L. Kessler, an asset forfeiture lawyer who Ward is in the process of retaining. “The statute requires that if the government of the United States has knowledge of an individual with an asset subject to forfeiture, the owner has to get notice,” says Kessler.
Pages:
Jump to: