Pages:
Author

Topic: [2014-06-07] CD: Will Bitcoin Mean New Subscribers for DISH? (Read 1400 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
Personally I would be surprised if their subscription #'s didn't go up by at least 10-12% within the first year or so of supporting BTC.  /* Wild guess on my part */

Their subscription figures are stagnant right now, as it has been for the last 2-3 years. And I fear it will go down considerably, once the real impact of the AT&T-DirecTV deal is known to everyone.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000
Well hello there!
Personally I would be surprised if their subscription #'s didn't go up by at least 10-12% within the first year or so of supporting BTC.  /* Wild guess on my part */
legendary
NVM, it was DirectTV...

Yeah.. there is a deal between AT&T and DirecTV. It will help them to gain more market share at the expense of DISH. I am a little bit worried about the impact it will have on DISH.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Even better maybe it pushes other providers into accepting bit coin.

Yes... it will be better if DirecTV seriously considers about accepting part of the payments in Bitcoin. BTW... I have already heard rumors about AT&T accepting Bitcoin payments.  Grin

Yeah, I heard that AT&T was buying DISH.  Wasn't sure if this would squash the bitcoin thing, or expand it to AT&T.

When does the merger go through?  Wasn't this just announced a little while ago?

NVM, it was DirectTV...
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Yep. I all ready contacted Directv about it. I haven't gotten a response to my e-mail yet so I might call this week. 

May be we could start an email campaign urging the DirecTV to accept Bitcoin. If we could get a few thousand people, then the DirecTV folks might seriously consider accepting Bitcoin as a mode of payment.

I guess that this is an approach we could use to many companies.
So yeah, would be a good effort.

We need an outreach section at this site to organize this kind of thing.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Yep. I all ready contacted Directv about it. I haven't gotten a response to my e-mail yet so I might call this week. 

May be we could start an email campaign urging the DirecTV to accept Bitcoin. If we could get a few thousand people, then the DirecTV folks might seriously consider accepting Bitcoin as a mode of payment.

I guess that this is an approach we could use to many companies.
So yeah, would be a good effort.
legendary

http://www.coindesk.com/will-bitcoin-mean-new-subscribers-dish/

Just over a week ago, major Colorado-based US satellite television provider DISH Network unexpectedly announced that it will allow its 14 million subscribers the opportunity to begin paying with bitcoin later this year through a partnership with Coinbase.

First an initial "rush" as people respond to the news...Later, it could make a real difference because more people will have BTC as primary income. There will be huge pressure for the other TV/cable giants to join in the party.

legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
http://www.coindesk.com/will-bitcoin-mean-new-subscribers-dish/

Just over a week ago, major Colorado-based US satellite television provider DISH Network unexpectedly announced that it will allow its 14 million subscribers the opportunity to begin paying with bitcoin later this year through a partnership with Coinbase.

First an initial "rush" as people respond to the news...Later, it could make a real difference because more people will have BTC as primary income. There will be huge pressure for the other TV/cable giants to join in the party.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

Yes... it will be better if DirecTV seriously considers about accepting part of the payments in Bitcoin. BTW... I have already heard rumors about AT&T accepting Bitcoin payments.  Grin

Yeah, I heard that AT&T was buying DISH.  Wasn't sure if this would squash the bitcoin thing, or expand it to AT&T.

When does the merger go through?  Wasn't this just announced a little while ago?
Activity: 378
sure, they'll get new subscribers
many news talk about DISH and bitcoin, it's like free advertising fot them Grin
at least they get new subscribers from bitcoin users
Excellent point about the free ads... the btc community is all over any new merchants... eventually this will be less than noteworthy (since over 1000 merchants are being added daily)... for now it's a great opportunity for exposure.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Well it's kind of a harder change to do than to buy stuff in Overstock instead of Amazon, for example.
And people tend to be lazy. But who knows, probably there will be a small raise.
The telecoms would be huge. If one of the big ones starts accepting the others will follow suit.

Yes... their coverage is huge. The total might be around 70 million households. Even if 1% decides to make the payments using Bitcoin, the digital currency will receive a huge boost.

That would help push us a lot closer to that tipping point. Even seeing the option on our bills lends credibility to the currency. 
legendary
The telecoms would be huge. If one of the big ones starts accepting the others will follow suit.

Yes... their coverage is huge. The total might be around 70 million households. Even if 1% decides to make the payments using Bitcoin, the digital currency will receive a huge boost.

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
yeah but they need to push bitcoin some more, maybe with discounts. today its only promo (but still nice, for DISH and BTC)

I can see new users using Dish if they had a promo code like save 5% by typing Bitcoin into the coupon code listing
That said it is a bit neat to be able to get satellite tv with BTC
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000
www.bitkong.com
I'm pretty surprised they will accept Bitcoin. Never seemed the partnership connection.
Yes, this will increase their subscripership.  Time will tell how much.

In real numbers, their subscription figures are increasing, but in comparison to DirecTV, Dish is gradually losing its market share. Let's hope that the adoption of Bitcoin will help them to halt this trend.  Grin

legendary
Yes, this will increase their subscripership.  Time will tell how much.

In real numbers, their subscription figures are increasing, but in comparison to DirecTV, Dish is gradually losing its market share. Let's hope that the adoption of Bitcoin will help them to halt this trend.  Grin

Pages:
Jump to: