Pages:
Author

Topic: 2014 World Fiat Collapse? - page 2. (Read 2468 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
March 21, 2014, 11:25:47 AM
I remember preparing for the death of the dollar in 2012
Then the silver bubble popped... Then I found bitcoin Smiley

silver wasn't in a bubble. it just got over extended and needed a correction.

That's a bubble

Silver corrected 60%, so I wouldn't say that's a bubble, just a healthy market correction.

60% is huge deflation. 10% drop is a correction.
Activity: 314
Merit: 10
March 21, 2014, 10:08:45 AM
Not likely

The fiat world will stumble on for another generation or so

I think the same way! I can't see the substitute for fiat nowadays , even Bitcoin can't replace it - it is too volatile, too young to become a common payment instrument , nowadays it is good as additional payment system
March 21, 2014, 08:39:21 AM

silver wasn't in a bubble. it just got over extended and needed a correction.

That's a bubble
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
March 21, 2014, 06:40:59 AM
2008 - 2009 was our warning I think we're fast approaching the point of no return now, in fact, looking at the numbers I think we've already reached our peak, we're probably just going to go down from here.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
March 21, 2014, 06:35:05 AM
Collapse no, a gradual decline in influence yes
Activity: 490
March 21, 2014, 06:22:04 AM
Not likely

The fiat world will stumble on for another generation or so
Activity: 112
Cryptocurrencies Exchange
March 21, 2014, 04:33:10 AM
I don't think it would be revolution. Simply after awhile people would slowly move to better alternatives of fiat. I actually happens right now. Problem is monetary system is support by government and we already saw what government can do at recent crisis. With unlimited support from taxpayers and loans it can keep system alive for very long time.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
March 21, 2014, 04:31:22 AM
The longer the Collapse is delayed the worse it will be.
It has been delayed for decades.  Shocked

Some would say that the economic history of the U.S. has been a repeated series of efforts to kick the can down the road ever since Nixon closed the gold window in, what, the early 1970's?...

The early 1970's?
Yes
The Libertarian Party was founded in 1972 by people who "gave up" on Nixon and the Republicans.

If so, the fact that they've stretched things this far, to 2014, is frightening....

I've gotten used to ignoring the "pending doom", but the word "frightening" does sound pretty accurate.
Will rose colored glasses help?

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
March 21, 2014, 03:47:18 AM

Some would say that the economic history of the U.S. has been a repeated series of efforts to kick the can down the road ever since Nixon closed the gold window in, what, the early 1970's?

If so, the fact that they've stretched things this far, to 2014, is frightening. I really have a hard time seeing it lasting another 10 years, but who knows... maybe some new energy tech will miraculously appear and stave it off for another decade or two (again, yes, making the inevitable crash that much worse.)
legendary
March 21, 2014, 02:34:21 AM
Tell your friends and family.  Speak up for what you believe in.

Some of them remember me talking about it in 1989.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
March 21, 2014, 02:14:33 AM
Tell your friends and family.  Speak up for what you believe in.
legendary
March 21, 2014, 01:04:14 AM

legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
March 20, 2014, 10:43:15 PM
The answer is yes.  It would be wise to prepare, the sooner the better.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053
Please do not PM me loan requests!
March 20, 2014, 09:39:47 PM
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
March 20, 2014, 04:19:10 PM
As far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe fiat currencies/economies are headed for any kind of collapse.

Sure there is: the simple mathematical fact that an ever-increasing expansion of debt (which the current system is based on) is unsustainable.

It has to end, either voluntarily or involuntarily. And since TPTB don't seem too keen on letting the system end voluntarily....
Activity: 147
March 20, 2014, 02:13:56 PM
I don't know how about fiat, but cryptos are crashing hard today, both btc and ltc  Tongue
Activity: 420
March 20, 2014, 01:53:33 PM
As far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe fiat currencies/economies are headed for any kind of collapse. The world's economies have weathered the last recession like they did every one before it and are now back on the path of growth and prosperity. Yes, there's always issues to address with the nature of banking, the extent and type of regulations, the security, cost, and speed of transactions, etc, but these are all evolutionary changes that will happen over time, not requiring any collapse or revolution.

With any luck, cryptocurrencies like bitcoin will exist in parallel, allowing a different kind of functionality, and a different sets of advantages and disadvantages, to government fiat money.
Activity: 70
March 20, 2014, 01:35:54 PM
1. Think of how much would have to change in our nation technology wise in order to completely do away with paper bills and coins.  Then realize how much more advanced the US is compared to many other countries.  This would prevent any change for a few decades.

2. You cannot have individuals in-charge of mining your sole currency.  Simple fact, energy is expensive in the US and Europe compared to the rest of the world.  We're any crypto currency made the sole currency (and therefore incredibly more valuable than any coin currently is), you would rapidly approach the equilibrium of cost to create a coin = value ofa  coin.  Therefore, all mining would be done in pollution friendly countries that rely on sources like coal to power computers.  Good luck convincing citizens of the developed world to hand over this much power and wealth to China.

3. Contrary to Libertarian beliefs, there are actually positives that come along with a central bank, and economies can go to hell really fast if someone's not making sure that there's an appropriate amount of money floating around.

4. If any coin was widespread, it would not be that much different than current currency.  If anything, and we did end up switching to some crypto currency, it would not shock me in the least if it was through government manipulation into some code that they not only controlled the production of, but could track with ease as well.
Activity: 551
March 20, 2014, 01:17:40 PM
Within 20 years all work will be done by software or machines. Human labor will be virtually unnecessary.

We have a market based system that depends on consumerism to function. Yet in 20 years there will be no jobs for anyone to do. All of the professions and everything else will be done by machines. If people do not have money then how will they buy products and fuel consumerism?

Conclusion:
Major political and social change is on the horizon.

More like by the year 2020!

Equality is so far off that there will either be obesity or starvation, sorta the way things are adapting now.
March 20, 2014, 12:36:25 PM
And what would FIAT be replaced with in 5 years??

A moneyless system is inevitable, but it will take more than 5 years and will be accompanied by a lot of political turmoil as those whose power is vested in the current system struggle to retain control of their power.
Pages:
Jump to: