Pages:
Author

Topic: 2015 the end of normal scrypt mining with GPU's? (Read 4853 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Well so much for the old claim that what is so great about GPUs is you can sell them to gamers when something more efficient comes along.

Surely anyone who has enough GPUs to seriously mine/secure a blockchain has more than enough to sell them to gamers and buy more-efficient ASICs instead?

How much money do you make per amp of mains coming into your building using various types of mining rigs, especially in warm seasons, counting air-conditioning?

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
No new coins will be released with scrypt i'm guessing. Already every thread is riddled with talks of switching to x11 , qrk, heavycoin algos.

lTC and Doge...hmmm well i think doge will have to move to new algos suitable for continued gpu mining. I don't see most of the youngsters mining that and making up the strength of the community wanting to blow 10k on asics ... without the youngsters involved doge is going to start sinking. Their young energetic community is their key to success. The asic game is kind of more a pay up front kind of scheme where you gain over time, where as gpu mining is kind of use my "computers" and hope mum and dad don't notice the electricity bill for a few months. Young people often don't have huge cash to pay up front so gpu mining on a fair playing field against other gpu miners will suit them best. They won't appreciate though gpu mining against people with 600MH paying less electricity also Smiley

LTC could possibly stay scrypt and other coins merge mine with it i guess. LTC miners the big ones anyway are probably more established and have access to pots of cash for asics.

The rest will move to other algos.  

I see already some members displaying some huge scrypt power..... these with 200MH scrypt already will certainly get roi but asics will either have to get more and more powerful or way cheaper it then will become a more risky decision in ploughing money into asics.

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I don't think vertcoin will be asic-resistant for long, the time untill the next N-factor is too long IMO.

I think the next N-factor can change right ?
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
I don't think vertcoin will be asic-resistant for long, the time untill the next N-factor is too long IMO.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
You can use GPU to mine Scrypt-N like Vertcoin, Pandacoin, etc
legendary
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Vanilla Scrypt is 3 years old.

Out with the old, in with the new.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
Scrypt will fade away, Litecoin will stay but the difficulty will just keep being pushed higher due to the sheer amount of ASICs (KNC and Gridseed are the only 2 I believe will actually/have made product.  I believe KNC is using any prototype(s) now while still very profitable). 

People will scoop up DOGE by the boatload just because it still has some value, but not for long.

ASIC resistant coins are the way to go.  Bitcoin started with the techies, and ultimately will end with them.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
Personally, I prefer to use gpu.
i'd rather pay for an asic's power bills.

the knc titan supposedly uses a single ~1000w for 250mh.  how many video cards, cpu, memory, usb drives, risers, shelves, and HVAC would you need for 250mh?

it's not about how many hash you have, but more about what is the hash of the other miners, compared to your

having 250MH when everyone have also the same amount is pretty pointless
Activity: 266
More like 2014.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
Yeah ...it is very soon
Activity: 364
I actually do think that the end of normal scrypt mining with GPUs are at hand. I think the scrypt mining scene will definitely be turned over to ASICs. However, I don't think that will be the end of the GPU mining scene. I personally see GPUs being the gateway of new potential hashing algorithms as more time passes on. Of course, that'd only likely last until the number of new algorithms and coins get to the point where they are much too proliferated and numerous.

I agree, I think we're all forgetting that it won't be long before new graphics cards will arrive capable of higher hash and frame rates. GPU's are more flexible and can be used for other things then mining.
legendary
If i wasn't completely out of room to add more rigs, i would totally build another 7950 rig.  

5 7950s for ~$1250? Sign me up!
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Buying scrypt  ASICs are a huge risk if you ask me, community support will gravitate to the coins that everyone can mine without investing in specialized hardware. I do not believe Litecoin would be where it is now if it was not ASIC resistant when first released.

My feeling is that the value of scrypt coins will continue to decline as ASICs become more prevalent, coins with ASIC resistant algos will grow as will pure PoS coins. Litecoin will survive as it has a good base already and has been around for awhile, but the difficulty will get so high it'll just be another Bitcoin situation, where miners barely break even on USD terms and don't make the LTC they spent back.

GPU it is for me.
I don't think Scrypt ASIC's will be too profitable, as soon as people get their hands on them, mining with them will be profitable for a short while before the difficulty retargets and then it will be a situation like Bitcoin all over again.
Activity: 483
But lately there is much number of ASIC-protected coins. So that GPU also has a future
legendary
Activity: 896
I actually do think that the end of normal scrypt mining with GPUs are at hand. I think the scrypt mining scene will definitely be turned over to ASICs. However, I don't think that will be the end of the GPU mining scene. I personally see GPUs being the gateway of new potential hashing algorithms as more time passes on. Of course, that'd only likely last until the number of new algorithms and coins get to the point where they are much too proliferated and numerous.
legendary
Some mighty cheap 7950s on Fleabay!

Now is not the time to be buying one trick ponies when the game is changing.
Activity: 840
Buying scrypt  ASICs are a huge risk if you ask me, community support will gravitate to the coins that everyone can mine without investing in specialized hardware. I do not believe Litecoin would be where it is now if it was not ASIC resistant when first released.

Aren't alternate algorithms favouring GPUs more a miner's incentive rather than a speculator/investor?  why would the market notice if the vertcoin came from gpu, or the litecoin came from asic?  a coin, is a coin, is a coin.  i doubt the general dogecoin using public know or understand the implications of "block halving" either, but it sure had miners rigid.  

I'm interested because i continue to mine vertcoin, but am concerned its blockchain will be vulnerable to attack when it is woth more. I don't think i'll be running my GPU farm forever due to the sheer cost of electricity, and i am beginning to realize people won't keep those gpu's running forever.  a 275khash 6850 uses 200w, and a gridseed uses 7w.

The market doesn't care about the algorithm (mostly, there a few cases like Primecoin where it drove initial growth), but it does care if a lot of people are using/backing the coin. Word of mouth is crucial in the early stages. There are a lot of GPU miners out there that will start to just ignore scrypt coins once ASICs are more commonplace. Has there been a truly successful SHA-256 coin since ASIC usage became widespread? A quick glance at Coinmarketcap tells me no.

I'm not saying the miners hold all the power, but in regards to PoW-based coins they sure do early on in a coin's lifecycle.
Activity: 420
Merit: 263
let's make a deal.
Personally, I prefer to use gpu.
i'd rather pay for an asic's power bills.

the knc titan supposedly uses a single ~1000w for 250mh.  how many video cards, cpu, memory, usb drives, risers, shelves, and HVAC would you need for 250mh?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
LTC could possibly stay scrypt and other coins merge mine with it i guess. LTC miners the big ones anyway are probably more established and have access to pots of cash for asics.
Activity: 420
Merit: 263
let's make a deal.

Aren't alternate algorithms favouring GPUs more a miner's incentive rather than a speculator/investor?  why would the market notice if the vertcoin came from gpu, or the litecoin came from asic?  a coin, is a coin, is a coin.  i doubt the general dogecoin using public know or understand the implications of "block halving" either, but it sure had miners rigid.  

I'm interested because i continue to mine vertcoin, but am concerned its blockchain will be vulnerable to attack when it is woth more. I don't think i'll be running my GPU farm forever due to the sheer cost of electricity, and i am beginning to realize people won't keep those gpu's running forever.  a 275khash 6850 uses 200w, and a gridseed uses 7w.

Pages:
Jump to: