Pages:
Author

Topic: [2017-12-14] United Bitcoin Hard Fork Aims to Steal Inactive Wallet Balances - page 3. (Read 742 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1293
There is trouble abrewing
i think the recent events (the 10-15 hard forks of bitcoin) have proven that you can do anything you want with bitcoin. "stealing inactive balances" requires a hard fork and doing that will create another altcoin similar to these 10-15 altcoins that started being created this month.

and it doesn't really matter anymore. it is not going to be "bitcoin". and the reason is simple. the notion of "inactive wallet balance" is ridiculous. it is simply thievery! no matter how pretty they are going to disguise it. it is like me coming into your home and take something out of your house and say since you are not using this item -that you paid for some day- i am going to take it away!
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
I think they are going to use those to airdrop to LTC, ETH, QTUM, HSHARE holders to get more people onboard.  Otherwise where else would they get the supply to do that?  I went to the live even in Silicon Valley also.  I don't think it's a scam.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
busy in real life, long post gap is understandable
That thing should be stopped, they are too greedy to scam the community, and we should not stay quiet about this, damn it, Bitcoin is now going mainstream and also going under the manipulation of this greedy people. I don't know if this is true but it seems like they are really going after those inactive bitcoins, and i don't also know if retrieving the lost coins is good for Bitcoin Ecosystem. I am just worried about satoshi's coins.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1460
Someone posted a Bloomberg article about United Bitcoin and the poster might have thought that it is another hard fork to increase the block size.

No, it is really an attempt to scam the community once again, and this time they might want to take control of Satoshi's inactive coins and others' for their own devices.

I predict that Jeff Garzik and his friends will nominate Craig Fake Satoshi Wright as the head of the United Bitcoin Foundation and claim that Satoshi's coins are rightfully his.

United Bitcoin is by far one of the most controversial projects in existence today. According to the whitepaper, this project will go after inactive account balances. All of this money will be moved to multisignature addresses controlled by the United Bitcoin Foundation. A very troublesome development, especially when looking at the bigger picture. A lot of money is locked in addresses which can no longer be accessed by its original owner.

This includes all of the addresses belonging to Satoshi Nakamoto as well. Assuming that is the objective of this hard fork, it is one of the biggest threats to Bitcoin in history. There is no reason to claim inactive funds for one’s own benefit whatsoever. Nor should this be made possible at the protocol level whatsoever.

Moreover, there are even more complaints regarding this project. The United Bitcoin fork seemingly requires users to use their existing BTC address. This also means the private keys of said address need to be imported into a third-party client. A very controversial development, as it inherently weakens use privacy. Then again, we all know Bitcoin lacks privacy and will continue to do so for some time to come. There is little reason to trust this hard fork in its current form, unless a proper explanation is given.

The bigger problem is how Jeff Garzik is allegedly associated with this project. It is unclear what the objective of this pet project is. Hardly anyone will trust United Bitcoin at this point,  which is the only logical course of action. This is a very worrisome situation that may effectively bring Bitcoin to its knees if successful. We can only hope this fork is opposed by everyone before things really get out of hand.

Read the full article http://www.livebitcoinnews.com/united-bitcoin-hard-fork-aims-steal-inactive-wallet-balances/
Pages:
Jump to: