Pages:
Author

Topic: [2019-12-19] Heard of bitcoin's 'halving'? It's set to shake crypto markets ... (Read 459 times)

hv_
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
The thing is, nothing really is a surprise in Bitcoin. No FED defines rates, prints fresh money, announces any action plan,...

All priced in guys

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
LONDON (Reuters) - If you’re not a bitcoin enthusiast, you probably haven’t heard what’s happening next year: It’s called the “halving”, and it will cut production of the cryptocurrency by 50%.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currencies-halving-idUSKBN1YN19A

Yet another journalist promoting the misconception that the halving reduces the supply of bitcoins. The opening paragraph is correct but the remainder of the article replaces "production" with "supply". The author is then obligated to explain how lower supply and constant demand effect the price.

The article also notes that the price rose in the years following the halvings, but neglects to mention the fact that the price also rose in the years preceding the halvings.

It's definitely a common misconception for sure.

I think it is a reason why a lot of people seem to think that bitcoin is deflationary, when in reality it is simply disinflationary. You could only say that halving reduces the supply of newly minted coins, but not the aggregate amount of coins that is currently in circulation.

I do think that halving will bring about a substantial bull market but nowhere near the size that people seem to anticipate.

As far as I can see, people in crypto community have become more rational and more down to earth these days. Most of them don't expect that the market will react to the halving immediately. Rather they expect a reaction, a positive one, of course, during the next year after halving, taking into account the charts from the past. And how much Bitcoin can rise in more than a year from now, it's hard to say today. It can be a huge rising, but not necessarily due to halving.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 753
LONDON (Reuters) - If you’re not a bitcoin enthusiast, you probably haven’t heard what’s happening next year: It’s called the “halving”, and it will cut production of the cryptocurrency by 50%.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currencies-halving-idUSKBN1YN19A

Yet another journalist promoting the misconception that the halving reduces the supply of bitcoins. The opening paragraph is correct but the remainder of the article replaces "production" with "supply". The author is then obligated to explain how lower supply and constant demand effect the price.

The article also notes that the price rose in the years following the halvings, but neglects to mention the fact that the price also rose in the years preceding the halvings.

It's definitely a common misconception for sure.

I think it is a reason why a lot of people seem to think that bitcoin is deflationary, when in reality it is simply disinflationary. You could only say that halving reduces the supply of newly minted coins, but not the aggregate amount of coins that is currently in circulation.

I do think that halving will bring about a substantial bull market but nowhere near the size that people seem to anticipate.
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
However, you do not think that there is a first time for everything? That it might be the first time that bitcoin might stay on a bear market after a halving because all demand is exhausted?

If all demand is exhausted (let alone all new demand), then the price would fall from wherever it is because no one is buying.  And that would be a first time for it, sure.  It could happen no doubt.

Does anyone know whether the fiat price will increase or decrease after the halving?  No, of course not.  In the past, there has been decreasing new supply and unchanged or increased demand which will increase the fiat price.  Will that happen in May 2020?  I don't know.  If demand increases or stays the same, then the price will go up.  Otherwise it will go down. 

Use cases for payments (e.g. micro payments using lightning), wealth protection (from collectivists), remittances etc are things that one hopes will keep demand growing.  Whether that will pan out is an open question, but as long as there are a lot of smart people who

My earlier point was that the halving isn't something that will shake crypto markets - everyone knows about it and anticipates it and the impact happens in the months before and the months after.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
Bullish on fees

Bearish on use for btc

Less use - lower value

Price still pure speculation

why does it bother you so much if people use BTC as a store of value or speculative asset more so than a currency?

history seems to disagree with you anyway. during strong bull markets, BTC price and transaction fees rise in tandem. when demand is high, people don't seem to mind paying high fees for the privilege of owning BTC.

Bitcoin will do much more than 'SoV'. I see it can do all we want. Why artificial limit it for fishy sake or rather hidden agendas ?

Just see how all that play out having big blocks and industrial capacity enabeling

History is ongoing.

If we want Bitcoin as money, it should be SoV as well, because being a store of value is an indispensable feature of hard currencies. And we don't want Bitcoin to be a weak currency, right? So, I absolutely agree with @figmentofmyass here. Don't criticize people for using BTC as a store of value or speculative asset. They are doing a good thing for the community overall.
hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale
Bullish on fees

Bearish on use for btc

Less use - lower value

why does it bother you so much if people use BTC as a store of value or speculative asset more so than a currency?

history seems to disagree with you anyway. during strong bull markets, BTC price and transaction fees rise in tandem. when demand is high, people don't seem to mind paying high fees for the privilege of owning BTC.

Bitcoin will do much more than 'SoV'. I see it can do all we want. Why artificial limit it for fishy sake or rather hidden agendas ?

Just see how all that play out having big blocks and industrial capacity enabeling

History is ongoing.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
Bullish on fees

Bearish on use for btc

Less use - lower value

Activity: 751
Merit: 251
As of my understanding, Bitcoin halving will cut down the generation of new bitcoins. As of now coin reward per block is 12.5 after halving it will be 6.25.
I have gone through the article and couldnt find the mistake. Can someone quote whats the mistake writer has committed in writing the article.
hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale
Shake it?

I doubt it. But the expectations are clearly bullish in this regard.

Over the past few halvings markets have always risen, typically around 1-2 years after the halving marks the peak of the bull market.

This seems to coincide with current market developments as well. We'll get a real shot at retesting the 5 digit psychological barrier once again and finally break out of all the bearish sentiment that is currently present within the market.

Bullish on fees

Bearish on use for btc

Less use - lower value

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260
1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL
Halving is basically the reduction of the block rewards of the bitcoin network for miners so for instance with this incoming halving the reward for a block is going to be reduced from 12.5 to 6.25. This activity has always been followed by some slight increases in the crypto market and i guess that is why most folks are still thinking history is likely to repeat itself. However, i am not too hopeful with this halving that it is going to have a major impact on the crypto market.
legendary
However, you do not think that there is a first time for everything? That it might be the first time that bitcoin might stay on a bear market after a halving because all demand is exhausted?

anything is possible, but betting against strong trends is usually a bad idea. dropping below the $3100s at this point would be historically unprecedented because it's now a confirmed yearly pivot. it would probably correspond with a never before seen rate of down spiraling hash rate.

until that happens, i'm not betting against the long term trend.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 301
*STOP NOWHERE*
Shake it?

If it will be bullish so eventually it will again shake the market, what scenario I am seeing is that, bitcoin price will pump and it will be overprice due to hype, then followed by a big correction which shakes the market eventually.

Over the past few halvings markets have always risen, typically around 1-2 years after the halving marks the peak of the bull market.

This seems to coincide with current market developments as well. We'll get a real shot at retesting the 5 digit psychological barrier once again and finally break out of all the bearish sentiment that is currently present within the market.
Hopefully that would happen, if bitcoin rises in smaller events compared to halving, I think we can possibly see bitcoin trading over $10,000 prior to halving. However, we should remain realistic of other possibilities that might not help to improve the market.

This time is different, market is more matured and people are getting clever.

Its FOMO and people immaturity that took bitcoin to its ATH in dec 2017. Investors are now more sensible and are not ready to sacrifice there hard earned money as in 2017. Bitcoin halving is most overrated thing of current time and many think that nothing will happen with this event.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
@posi. I did not say a promising result is certain not to occur. I am only saying to prepare for disappointment because it might also occur similar to litecoin's halving.

What happened with Litecoin was unique. The exchange rates had went up quite a bit before the actual halving event. However, after the block reward occurred, there was a sharp correction in the prices. During the first half of 2019, the Litecoin prices went up from $30 per coin to around $135 per coin, and it was clear that this spike was unsustainable for long. I can't see a similar spike for Bitcoin, and therefore I assume that what happened with LTC will not repeat with BTC.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1292
Hhampuz for Campaign management
Shake it?

If it will be bullish so eventually it will again shake the market, what scenario I am seeing is that, bitcoin price will pump and it will be overprice due to hype, then followed by a big correction which shakes the market eventually.

Hopefully that would happen, if bitcoin rises in smaller events compared to halving, I think we can possibly see bitcoin trading over $10,000 prior to halving. However, we should remain realistic of other possibilities that might not help to improve the market.

This time is different, market is more matured and people are getting clever.
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1440
However, it also shows that the halving is not an immediate solution to end a bear market.

I don't think anyone thinks it will have an immediate change in price.  The November 2012 halving and then the July 2016 halving didn't cause an immediate huge spike.  I remember watching for the first post-halving block.  It was like watching grass grow.  But anyway, it took time for the price to increase.  It wasn't until spring 2013 when it started to go up a lot (5-6 months), and then it wasn't until maybe spring 2017 after the July 2016 (6-8 months) halving that things started to look up in fiat price.

I think it went something like this:  People were anticipating the halving, had bought some bitcoin beforehand hoping to make a quick buck.  When it didn't spike that day, week or in the next month, people started selling think it wasn't going to happen.  It took months to clear out the bitcoin people had purchased prior to the halving.  Once that supply was cleared out, the impact of the limited new supply became apparent and the price ended up reflecting that over time.

So I wouldn't expect a spike in the middle of May 2020.  There will likely be some increased demand between now and May because people want to get in prior to the halving so the fiat price may go up but I wouldn't expect a big spike in price on May 14th (or whenever it ends up actually occurring) for the same reasons it hasn't happened in the past.

Will the next halving result in a similar price spike as the previous ones?  No one knows, but if new demand for bitcoin remains the same while the new supply is cut in half yes.  

Activity: 952
Merit: 513
Shake it?

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
Imo, the fact of removing 300k+ BTC from the possible yearly supply will surely have a psychological effect on the current and potential Bitcoin investors, resulting in the price rise.

People will only believe events have an impact on the price when they see the price go up around the time the event is supposed to take place. These dumbos will buy into the hype and sell near the lowest point of the sell-off afterwards, not knowing they made a very stupid move. How will they attempt to 'correct' their stupid move? Right, by buying back higher.  Cheesy

In all fairness, the speculative nature of this market is something you can't possibly time. It could just as easily be that the price will slowly trend up in the runup to the halving, stagnate for a couple of months, then take off. Most of the 500-1000% bull runs happen when most people don't expect them to happen. I'm perfectly fine if that will be the case this time. My time horizon goes far beyond the 6-12 months people usually focus on.
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1127
So I wouldn't expect a spike in the middle of May 2020.  There will likely be some increased demand between now and May because people want to get in prior to the halving so the fiat price may go up but I wouldn't expect a big spike in price on May 14th (or whenever it ends up actually occurring) for the same reasons it hasn't happened in the past.

in terms of pricing in market information, the halving is psychologically no different than other news events. it's publicly known about and there is a discrete event date. for that reason, the "buy the rumor, sell the news" adage most likely applies, which is why we saw a large run-up in the months prior to the 2012 and 2016 halvings. smart traders and whales will probably front run the "sell the news" event by distributing before the actual halving takes place. perhaps in march or april.

with the halving only 5 months away, all i know is it's a dangerous time to be short......
"Buy the rumor and sell the news" should always be the thing if you're smart enough but majority will definitely FOMO in as we do approach the halving event.
Nothing new and i agree that this event is just really the same with others but the impression towards it is different.Peoples mindset and beliefs are tagged out
on what happened on past halvings.For sure they would really stick out to that situation and believe that it would happen again.
Activity: 1806
Merit: 671
In theory, if supply is cut and demand stays constant, prices rise. This time around, seven crypto traders and miners interviewed by Reuters said the May halving would probably lead to greater volatility and trading volumes. However the cut to supply is liked to be more priced in than previously, they said, with many traders already geared up for the upcoming event.

What misconception are you talking about? They are just stating facts related to Bitcoin's halving and there are no mentions about it not rising before the halving begins. Yeah they might have stated all the facts but the point of the article was just about Bitcoin's halving and not about Bitcoin's historical price movement so for sure they would be leaving a lot of details because of that. IMO it's better to read articles to first sources like this (Reuters, Bloomberg, and Businessinsider) rather than crypto focuse news websites like CCN or CoinIdol where the news are more clickbaity and misleading compared to what we are having in a financial focus news website.
legendary
So I wouldn't expect a spike in the middle of May 2020.  There will likely be some increased demand between now and May because people want to get in prior to the halving so the fiat price may go up but I wouldn't expect a big spike in price on May 14th (or whenever it ends up actually occurring) for the same reasons it hasn't happened in the past.

in terms of pricing in market information, the halving is psychologically no different than other news events. it's publicly known about and there is a discrete event date. for that reason, the "buy the rumor, sell the news" adage most likely applies, which is why we saw a large run-up in the months prior to the 2012 and 2016 halvings. smart traders and whales will probably front run the "sell the news" event by distributing before the actual halving takes place. perhaps in march or april.

with the halving only 5 months away, all i know is it's a dangerous time to be short......
Pages:
Jump to: