Pages:
Author

Topic: [2021-05-08] Bitcoin’s dirty little secret: It’s not easy being green - page 2. (Read 198 times)

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1429
If we change the energy source for electricity then we can probably shift the energy consumption narrative that has been plaguing bitcoin. The problem that we are currently facing is that it's not that difficult how to go green but the fact that companies that won't benefit from going green is stopping it from happening.

However, a serious change in the energy sources needs billions in costs, a sacrfice of billions in profit and also a shift on who becomes the leader in this industry. This problem has been plaguing the world before bitcoin. Elon Musk has said in one interview that if given the choice to shutdown fossil fuel power stations, he would say no because it would kill industries in the world economy.

If government and big companies wanted this problem to be solved, this certainly would have been solved already.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 655
With this kind of attack on Bitcoin not being green because on how it is mined is something that I don't tend to focus on as I always think about what is the greater pollutants of our world and how they didn't act or change anything about that. Most of the cars are still running by burning fuel, Factories are still contributing to pollution, plastic and other trash are floating around the ocean killing animals all of these things and many more yet they haven't act anything about it instead singling out a industry as if they are the pioneers of pollution and energy waste.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481
The green brainwashing propaganda is becoming harder and harder to fight. We should not be using any form of energy as across the whole value chain our carbon footprint is massive. So what?
Miners are free to choose whichever energy they want to use and those power plants are NOT intended for bitcoin mining only.
Go blame China, Australia (73% coal!!!), US etc. and all the other coal-dependent energy users.
https://bettermeetsreality.com/energy-sources-energy-mix-by-country-where-major-countries-in-the-world-get-their-energy-from/
This is a valid argument!

Bitcoin didn't introduce these coal power plants first nor can we play the negligence card, but when it comes to fighting or reducing  our carbon footprints it wound carry more weight if they started their fight with these electricity producers using coal.

By the way according to worldcoal.org  they say in the year 2040 coal will still generate 22% of the world's electricity which simply means we still rely on coal for our cheap electricity. .

What do you expect from them? As I said it is still pure and simple propaganda! Data are out there for those who want to debunk the green fairy tale.
Do not get me wrong: I would want a world where the majority of energy is produced thanks to green and renewable sources but we have a long way to go before the old world will dismiss fossil fuel.
And that is an undeniable fact, sorry.
Activity: 490
Merit: 101
FRX: Ferocious Alpha
I find it funny when I hear these "green" claims about bitcoin. I think that the share of all these "harmful" environmental factors is negligible even in comparison with the carbon dioxide emitted by people themselves, so now is the time to reduce the population of the planet? It sounds somehow not very pleasant to put it mildly. I think this is a kind of base of claims to try to stop the victorious movement of bitcoin around the world and its introduction into the financial infrastructure of mankind. This is a more logical reason for such attacks on cryptocurrency.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
When the right data are presented, the Bitcoin's gonna kill the environment drama get easily knocked off. I'd add what a great comedian already saw before this whole green mega shit movement. Do you remember George Carlin? Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqaEE9vzV2M

We're living in a fricking videogame.
Activity: 1792
Merit: 871
Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures
The green brainwashing propaganda is becoming harder and harder to fight. We should not be using any form of energy as across the whole value chain our carbon footprint is massive. So what?
Miners are free to choose whichever energy they want to use and those power plants are NOT intended for bitcoin mining only.
Go blame China, Australia (73% coal!!!), US etc. and all the other coal-dependent energy users.
https://bettermeetsreality.com/energy-sources-energy-mix-by-country-where-major-countries-in-the-world-get-their-energy-from/
This is a valid argument!

Bitcoin didn't introduce these coal power plants first nor can we play the negligence card, but when it comes to fighting or reducing  our carbon footprints it wound carry more weight if they started their fight with these electricity producers using coal.

By the way according to worldcoal.org  they say in the year 2040 coal will still generate 22% of the world's electricity which simply means we still rely on coal for our cheap electricity. .

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481
Activity: 1274
Merit: 293
If we change the energy source for electricity then we can probably shift the energy consumption narrative that has been plaguing bitcoin. The problem that we are currently facing is that it's not that difficult how to go green but the fact that companies that won't benefit from going green is stopping it from happening.
Activity: 1792
Merit: 871
Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures
Depending on who you ask bitcoin, the digital currency at the heart of the crypto craze is either a currency or a commodity, a speculative bubble or a safe tool for storing and building wealth.

One thing everyone agrees on is that it has become a staggering consumer of energy and producer of climate wrecking carbon dioxide. Debate between its champions and detractors grows with its price and value, intensified by accelerating global efforts to tackle climate change.

A coal mine in Hutubi County in China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. Electricity from this area is a major provider of energy for bitcoin mining. CREDIT:GETTY

Bitcoin supporters must now grapple with the reality that built into the cryptocurrency’s design is a seemingly endless demand for energy in the form of computing power.

Readmore https://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/bitcoin-s-dirty-little-secret-it-s-not-easy-being-green-20210506-p57pki.html

Pages:
Jump to: