Pages:
Author

Topic: [2022-05-02]Wikipedia has stopped accepting cryptocurrency donation - page 2. (Read 489 times)

legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1295
" technology that are inherently predatory,”

What a bunch of nonsense.  I suspect the real reason is more likely:  they have a far-left bias on many articles and fascists/totalitarians etc can't survive when people are free for long.  When there is free discourse and a monetary instrument that can't be as easily censored as bank accounts (see e.g. Canada) they, and their masters, lose.  A technology that allows people to is decentralized and censorship resistant is unacceptable.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Farewell LEO, you *will* be missed.
The Wikimedia Foundation has decided to discontinue direct acceptance of cryptocurrency as a means of donating … we are making this decision based on recent feedback from [volunteers and donor] communities

You could have been quoting a little more from that news.

“Cryptocurrencies are extremely risky investments that have only been gaining popularity among retail investors particularly in recent times, and I do not think we should be endorsing their use in this way. In accepting them, I believe we are mainstreaming the usage of “investments” and technology that are inherently predatory,” the proposal read.

Although I find this overly harsh words against crypto (yet another naysayer), the actual points are clear:
* Wiki seems to have received very few donations in crypto (which is normal, since very small % of world population uses crypto, so it's imho not a valid problem)
* Wiki doesn't want to look like they would be endorsing cryptocurrencies, which actually I cannot argue

However, seeing Wiki as a pretty "hungry" organization - they do put big banners begging for money now and then - I think that's a losing move on their side. Although they've received "only" 130k worth of crypto as donations, it's much better than nothing.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1577
Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited
Here’s why Wikipedia has stopped accepting cryptocurrency donation
The decision to stop accepting crypto as the donation was made based on a community request, which came out of a three-month-long discussion that wrapped up earlier this month.
Wikimedia Foundation–the non-profit organisation that runs Wikipedia– has decided to stop accepting donations in cryptocurrency, citing the impact cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum have on the environment. “The Wikimedia Foundation has decided to discontinue direct acceptance of cryptocurrency as a means of donating … we are making this decision based on recent feedback from [volunteers and donor] communities,” the foundation said in a statement.

“Cryptocurrencies are extremely risky investments that have only been gaining popularity among retail investors particularly in recent times, and I do not think we should be endorsing their use in this way. In accepting them, I believe we are mainstreaming the usage of “investments” and technology that are inherently predatory,” the proposal read.

source
https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/crypto/heres-why-wikipedia-has-stopped-accepting-cryptocurrency-donation-7897358/
Pages:
Jump to: