Pages:
Author

Topic: [2022-09-15] In the US conservationists want BTC to switch to PoS too - page 2. (Read 417 times)

legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 7333
Crypto Swap Exchange
I spend few minutes to check their campaign website and found some biased/incorrect statement. For example,

Quote from: cleanupbitcoin.com
We know Bitcoin stakeholders are incentivized not to change. Changing Bitcoin would render a whole lot of expensive infrastructure worthless, meaning Bitcoin stakeholders will need to walk away from sunk costs — or find other creative solutions.

This statement imply Bitcoin is centralized and there are group which control Bitcoin.

Quote from: cleanupbitcoin.com
We know a basic software code change would reduce Bitcoin’s energy use by 99.9%. If only 30 people — the key miners, exchanges, and core developers who build and contribute to Bitcoin’s code — agreed to reinvent proof-of-work mining or move to a low-energy protocol, Bitcoin would stop polluting the planet. So why isn’t Bitcoin changing its code?

They don't know different between code and protocol. Additionally, they underestimate difficulty of software development.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1429
If they're happy to waste their money on advertising that won't have any impact, we're happy to watch 'em do it.  Utterly futile endeavour.  And since when does the US give a shit about the environment anyway?  These groups would be better served trying to influence their own government who are fucking up the planet way faster than Bitcoin ever could.

I am afraid that this might only be the beginning. They might only be starting to create a storyline and use this to manipulate the public. Once manipulated into thinking with a storyline that proof of work is bad for the environment, they begin funding their lobbyists to call on lawmakers and politicians to create an argument and campaigns to regulate cryptocoin mining or ban it similar to China.

This is the article published in greenpeace.org's website.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/climate-groups-to-bitcoin-cut-the-pollution-and-the-b-s/

Also, if strict regulations everywhere have taken place in bitcoin and cryptocoin mining, I would argue that illegal cryptomining will be good for any proof of work coin's decentralization and also good for the security and authenticity of their blockchains. There should be a group of miners who mine outside of regulations, government control and do their jobs under a real type of decentralization. It would be head shaking to witness bitcoin become a decentralized coin under the control of a centralized government hehehehe.
Activity: 2226
Merit: 270
Chainjoes.com
I dont think the protest will succeed, Ethereum is at another level and I think it needs it more than Bitcoin. Ethereum has fewer developers than bitcoin with sole developers that can make unanimous decision. More so ethereum has unlimited supply of coin and many more problems to resolve, from high transaction fee, token economics etc
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
If they're happy to waste their money on advertising that won't have any impact, we're happy to watch 'em do it.  Utterly futile endeavour.  And since when does the US give a shit about the environment anyway?  These groups would be better served trying to influence their own government who are fucking up the planet way faster than Bitcoin ever could.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
The campaign is urging the biggest corporate partners and institutional investors – Fidelity Investments, PayPal and Jack Dorsey’s Block, among others – to push bitcoin to move away from a high-energy proof of work protocol.
I was surprised to see Block's name [one of the first companies that's supposed to get "Intel's upcoming mining chips"] among the companies that they're trying to persuade in pushing for their target!
- Personally, I highly doubt the same thing is going to happen to Bitcoin and a part of me thinks even if the total green energy usage reaches 80%, they'd still go around in circles!
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 4213
https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news-release/2022/09/climate-groups-bitcoin-cut-pollution-and-bs?
"The “Change the Code, Not the Climate” campaign will now intensify its efforts with $1 million in new online advertisements, and Greenpeace launched a petition calling on Fidelity Investments to push bitcoin to follow ethereum’s lead in switching to an energy-saving protocol that dramatically reduces the cryptocurrency’s contribution to the climate crisis. "
Pages:
Jump to: