Pages:
Author

Topic: 20.99~ The tilde as a candidate for the currency symbol for bits or bitcoin - page 2. (Read 1439 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
The tilde seems like a vague symbol for me. What's wrong with a symbol that includes the letter B?

Nothing, except that these symbols aren't readily available on a keyboard.  The tilde is accessible on any keyboard, even phone right now.

So is the exclamation mark ( ! ), but why would you choose one over another? If anything, a plain B (which also it's found at least in all Latin keyboards) should be used.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
The tilde seems like a vague symbol for me. What's wrong with a symbol that includes the letter B?

Nothing, except that these symbols aren't readily available on a keyboard.  The tilde is accessible on any keyboard, even phone right now.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Activity: 1
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
Reasons for your consideration:

• The primary current meaning of the tilde is "approximately equal to", which is analogous to the definition of money.
  • The squiggly line of the tilde is similar to the vertical or horizontal bar common to currency symbols, but more ethereal to represent a digital transaction.
  • The tilde is easily accessible on any keyboard.  I'm writing this on my phone.
  • The tilde is easy to draw by hand.

I don't know, I have become so used to dealing with tons of zeroes that for me is not a problem anymore to work only in terms of BTC. I understand this can be a pain in the ass for noobs tho.

• The primary current meaning of the tilde is "approximately equal to" which is analogous to the definition of money.  That is, you could say that money is "approximately equal to" the goods it is traded for.
  • [...]

Problem with your proposal: The possible interpretation is too broad. Nobody knows which currency you mean when using "~". This means you could use "~" when describing any (abstract) form of money, but not a specific currency.

That said, I also think that "BTC" and the "B-with-legs"-symbol are already too widespread to be abolished as currency descriptors of Bitcoin.

ya.ya.yo!

That is a problem common to any new symbol/entity relationship.  If it were to be used consistently, I think the tilde could come to be recognized as meaning bits or bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

• The primary current meaning of the tilde is "approximately equal to" which is analogous to the definition of money.  That is, you could say that money is "approximately equal to" the goods it is traded for.
  • [...]

Problem with your proposal: The possible interpretation is too broad. Nobody knows which currency you mean when using "~". This means you could use "~" when describing any (abstract) form of money, but not a specific currency.

That said, I also think that "BTC" and the "B-with-legs"-symbol are already too widespread to be abolished as currency descriptors of Bitcoin.

ya.ya.yo!

• The primary current meaning of the tilde is "approximately equal to", which is analogous to the definition of money.
  • The squiggly line of the tilde is similar to the vertical or horizontal bar common to currency symbols, but more ethereal to represent a digital transaction.
  • The tilde is easily accessible on any keyboard.  I'm writing this on my phone.
  • The tilde is easy to draw by hand.
Pages:
Jump to: