Pages:
Author

Topic: $225 is the new normal. (Read 2299 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
June 13, 2015, 01:13:57 PM

Mike Hearn seems to be making his move, and poses a credible threat to fork the blockchain.  I suspect that if/when this happens, it will be of a complex branch point than a simple bifurcation as multiple parties pile on.  People who have value in the blockchain prior to this event will have a default bet on all(*) outcomes whereas those who come later will have to bet one one horse.

I could see a valuation spike from people trying to get their foot in the door prior to the fork event.  After that there will be a period of chaos and no real guarantee that the bet will pay off on any fork.  People who are going to take such a bet would not tend to be the hand-to-mouth types and will generally have the resources and disposition to wait for years for a payout (or whatever they wish to achieve.)

(*) It would be fairly doable from a systems/code level to force existing value to a specific fork either semi-covertly (e.g., through spend code in MultiBit) or overtly by scheduling a forced spend or by analyzing competing chains and devaluing coins which are 'multiplied.'  When (and where) coin taint enters the picture the mechanics will be much easier.  There are pro's and con's to such a strategy.  Only a select few actors could pull it off and even then they would have to be both careful and lucky.

Activity: 476
Merit: 251
June 13, 2015, 12:46:16 PM
HODL on your bitcoin people! It won't go up for a few months.

It will be a few years my friend..

Agreed. We may have a chance at a bubble next year during halving, but other than that it's just slowly going down.
after the block reward halving have happened , it needs a couple of months so that it affects bitcoin price and market changes. so I don't think the rise and the subsequent bubble will happen exactly at halving month.

I'm actually curious what will happen.
Prices may actually start spiking beforehand. If people expect the prices to rise after the halving, some may start stockpiling before so that they can make a profit after halving by dumping.
We will see later.
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
June 13, 2015, 12:40:17 PM
From a Bitcoin historical point of view somewhere between USD 0.001 to USD 1240. And it is constantly trying to find its real value
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163
Where is my ring of blades...
June 13, 2015, 06:28:19 AM

Agreed. We may have a chance at a bubble next year during halving, but other than that it's just slowly going down.
after the block reward halving have happened , it needs a couple of months so that it affects bitcoin price and market changes. so I don't think the rise and the subsequent bubble will happen exactly at halving month.
legendary
Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049
June 11, 2015, 09:04:38 AM
^ Why do you think Bitcoin will go down that much again? And if it does, wouldn't it be more likely for the price to stay down for a long time? Or would most mining stop at that point and force the price up anyway?
it is rising a little bit today. looks like another bounce back.
i think if price goes below $200 then it is going to continue to go down. and if it happens, we are soon going to see topics on 150 is the new normal!

Totally respect that. riskier now. but more risk sometimes comes with more potential reward, but it is far from guaranteed.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
AltoCenter.com
June 11, 2015, 12:36:18 AM
Then again, it hovered around 325 for the most part of the last year and we all seemed t believe finally bitcoin is stabilizing then all changed and droped to 225 level. So hard to guess what will happen next. Hopefully it stays there.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
June 09, 2015, 08:41:56 AM
$225, ± 25, is the new normal. For the last 5 months, the price has been in that range except for two brief bubbles and one brief crash.

230 was the normal of my liking, but yeah, it dropped a little. Actually now is just above 230 again. And, despite all the FUD, the price is rather stable lately.

My experience from alts tells that the bubble - if it will actually happen - it'll be shortly before the halving and it will not last long.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
June 09, 2015, 08:38:19 AM

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
June 09, 2015, 07:22:47 AM
^ Why do you think Bitcoin will go down that much again? And if it does, wouldn't it be more likely for the price to stay down for a long time? Or would most mining stop at that point and force the price up anyway?
i think if price goes below $200 then it is going to continue to go down. and if it happens, we are soon going to see topics on 150 is the new normal!

After months of price stabilizing , there's have to be a better reason for the price to go to the range you are suggesting. (65% difference you are talking about there)
imho there's no chance fir it to happen this year unless we see another mt.gox situation, or some hard legal problems.

cheers
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
June 09, 2015, 04:28:33 AM
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
June 08, 2015, 11:13:35 PM
Yes, the price has ranged from $215-265 since past few months and this would remain the same until the next halvening. I expect prices to rise by 1.5x times of the current ones after halvening. The expected time for halvening is late 2015 or early 2016.

This is based on previous experience, but remember, it took a while after the last halving when prices shot up! It was not immediate, as far as I recall. Furthermore, while common sense tells us that yes the supply becomes more scarce, therefore the price must go up, this way of thinking may actually influence the price more than the actual fact.

@Range $215-265
If we know that the price will move roughly in this range, then this is an optimal time for trades.

I am counting on that to happen Smiley
Furthermore, when you have a bubble burst at 1250, and a 1,5 years later 220-ish, it's safe to assume this is the new bottom, and the stability goes in favor of this. (sadly it has been said also on 600,500,400,300..)

I am looking to buy in at 180 or so.
legendary
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
June 08, 2015, 11:05:45 PM
Yes, the price has ranged from $215-265 since past few months and this would remain the same until the next halvening. I expect prices to rise by 1.5x times of the current ones after halvening. The expected time for halvening is late 2015 or early 2016.

This is based on previous experience, but remember, it took a while after the last halving when prices shot up! It was not immediate, as far as I recall. Furthermore, while common sense tells us that yes the supply becomes more scarce, therefore the price must go up, this way of thinking may actually influence the price more than the actual fact.

@Range $215-265
If we know that the price will move roughly in this range, then this is an optimal time for trades.

I am counting on that to happen Smiley
Furthermore, when you have a bubble burst at 1250, and a 1,5 years later 220-ish, it's safe to assume this is the new bottom, and the stability goes in favor of this. (sadly it has been said also on 600,500,400,300..)
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001
Personal Text Space Not For Sale
June 08, 2015, 09:34:58 PM

OP is actually right. except some miracles or groundbreaking news. I really don't think, that will climb over 250$ until end of the year..

I always thought that it will reach 1000 USD again this year. Looking at current trend.. I dont think my prediction is right. Anyway, I'm holding my Bitcoin right now. I wish my 0.1 Bitcoin will become 100 dollar soon (when the rate reach 1000 USD).
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
June 08, 2015, 10:04:50 AM

@Range $215-265
legendary
June 08, 2015, 08:58:47 AM

Activity: 644
Merit: 500
Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io
June 08, 2015, 04:17:38 AM
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008
June 08, 2015, 04:11:03 AM
It might take the whole summer, maybe the whole autumn but if things remain as they are, we are gonna break 200 simply because there is no real buying, there are just people inflating the price by going margin long which is building a castle of paper. I hope bullwhales have enough fiat to burn until there is some game changing news or until the halving, but I doubt it, it looks like they are already running out of steam thus longs going higher and higher with no real accumulation

Yes, and it looks very sad for the great yet.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
June 08, 2015, 04:07:03 AM
OP is actually right. except some miracles or groundbreaking news. I really don't think, that will climb over 250$ until end of the year..

as long as it don't fall below it, i'm happy anyway, now is the time to no let it fall, the time for let it raise is still far away

then it is better to buy too, besides holding, you would help your own holding strategy, if you buy

160 incoming in a few days.

you are calling it since months, stop with this fud-fest, we are not going anywhere

what are some things that need to happen in order for the price to skyrocket? i see ppl asking questions like this all the time but i never see any good answers. it would be great if we could all band together and drive the price up

that's plain manipulation, it is better to let the price grow naturally, if it is possible

Meh. I wish.
"Normal" implies a flat line, whereas the weekly candle chart clearly shows exponential decay (which looks linear on a log chart).
The thing with exponential decay is that it slows down over time.  Sad

if we continues in this way it will show a flat line that will match the "$5" flat line of 2011-2012

and to be hnest i'm not seeing any decay, if you zoom out enough
Activity: 924
June 08, 2015, 03:51:54 AM
It might take the whole summer, maybe the whole autumn but if things remain as they are, we are gonna break 200 simply because there is no real buying, there are just people inflating the price by going margin long which is building a castle of paper. I hope bullwhales have enough fiat to burn until there is some game changing news or until the halving, but I doubt it, it looks like they are already running out of steam thus longs going higher and higher with no real accumulation
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
June 08, 2015, 02:23:10 AM
I think a lot of people are sitting on the sidelines with money ready to enter but they want to see a clear sign of a uptrend first.
i agree. many people still think that bitcoin is going to start going up and even reach $1000 , so they are waiting with cash in hand to jump on the train to the moon.

while i am one of those guys, but i don't think that the price will go anywhere near $1000 , but it is going to go up if we can see any good news that results in a nice movement in the market.

honestly bitcoin market is getting boring nowadays, it just at the same price with 1-2 $ ups and downs.
Pages:
Jump to: