Pages:
Author

Topic: 24 GPU mining setup reviewed this weekend on livestream (Read 2506 times)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Great video and excellent channel. Very helpful!
Activity: 144
https://youtu.be/PAHWMK78Gag?t=12116

Here is the details on output, temps from GreyMatter Case with 6x RX570 4GB STRIX running 27.6 each, 163-165 etc

Hi Alumar,

Great work on your videos, and explaining every single step you did with the rigs Smiley

I am currently looking into building a few 7 GPU rigs with the RX570 and the asus z270a prime board that you have in your video.

Firstly, I wanted to ask you, have you tested that board with a skylake processor? Next, have you succeeded to run 7 rx5xx cards on that board, or any other for that matter? I know that there is the driver tweak that allows to run more than 5 rx5xx cards, but I do not remember if I've seen anyone run 7 cards.

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Did GreyMatter "borrow" the basics for their case design from BackBlaze?

Back of that case looks MIGHTY familier....

(the Backblaze designs were made public, GreyMatter didn't do anything wrong if they DID borrow).

Activity: 208
Merit: 117
https://youtu.be/PAHWMK78Gag?t=12116

Here is the details on output, temps from GreyMatter Case with 6x RX570 4GB STRIX running 27.6 each, 163-165 etc
Activity: 208
Merit: 117
Thanks for anyone that watched the stream, we published on the channel. More goods tomorrow.

The livestream showed that under full load the rig held GPU fans at 27% and was 59-62c; full system power was 850w @ 168mh using 6x RX 570 4GB ASUS STRIX using 1500 copied to 1625/1750/2000 and 1950mem 1112core.

Still working on the 8 card rig.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
This is a monster rig....

how much eth will it generate per day?
Activity: 96
Where did this video go?

I thought I saw it last night - it was like 4 hours long and I planned on using it today as background noise while I built some machines - but the video has disappeared?
Activity: 794
Merit: 272
Very tempting indeed. I was never in the GPU mining, but after watching your video and this setup, I will try my hands on GPU mining when Vega gpu will be released. Thumbs up.

i'm also curious about their claim that this 4u is better than open frame but after i see the price at which this thing is sold, i changed my mind, $400 just for a case is crazy, with that amount i buy the whole rig minus the gpu

It's really not even close in regards to temps and sustainability. 4U>Open air rig. The only thing is if it is necessary for you. Like I said in the previous posts, if you are going for a large scale deployment then for a lot of reason the 4U is the way to go. If you think about it the extra couple hundred dollars can be ROI'd in about 2-3 weeks right now so is it really a big deal? It will for sure allow the GPU's to stay cooler and last longer. Open air is really only good in a home environment. You can't do stuff like the white paper below if you are using open air rigs. The heat doesn't move in a predictable or controllable way.

http://www.missioncriticalmagazine.com/ext/resources/MC/Home/Files/PDFs/WP-APC-Hot_vs_Cold_Aisle.pdf
Activity: 227
Very tempting indeed. I was never in the GPU mining, but after watching your video and this setup, I will try my hands on GPU mining when Vega gpu will be released. Thumbs up.

i'm also curious about their claim that this 4u is better than open frame but after i see the price at which this thign is sold, i changed my mind, $400just for a case is crazy, with that amount i buy the whole rig minus the gpu

4U is good is the space is the issue.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250

i'm also curious about their claim that this 4u is better than open frame but after i see the price at which this thing is sold, i changed my mind, $400 just for a case is crazy, with that amount i buy the whole rig minus the gpu
Activity: 794
Merit: 272

In the EU, I'd stick with something like this: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-gpu-server-cases-1921659 or even with a locally created solution.

Comments like these and the price difference really leaves a bad taste in my mouth from the creator of those cases you linked:

For those interested in where this guys is ripping his design off of, check out:

Yeah, they call this competition.. I saw somewhere a guy making these out of wood for $50.

Supply/demand drives the market. Monopolies are mostly beneficial to the business owner.

Actually it's called theft of intellectual property.  We've already shut down two groups in the US that tried to copy our design.  Luckily for this guy he's outside the US and thus difficult to go after legally.

This is basic data center / server design used in EVERY data center in existence.  There's a reason it's done this way with literally millions of servers around the world.  Adding GPUs doesn't change the way air flow and cooling works and this setup is very efficient because you can concentrate and control airflow.  Combined with a hot/cold aisle and you really can't get more efficient than this design.  Open air will ALWAYS be less efficient because air cannot be controlled so it only passes over the hardware a single time before being exhausted.

With that said, I use open air frames for my rigs because it is sufficient for my needs.  If I'm able to move to a dedicated space, I would absolutely use racks with hot/cold aisles in order to maximize efficiency of cooling.  A lot of money can be saved with this over the long term, but as usual, initial cost can be higher.

I have plenty of space which is why I'm not convinced that I should swap to 4U rack cases and looking for some figures regarding card temps.

I have some of bitworks 8 gpu 230 MH/s rigs and for sure they run in the 50's and 60's with not a great cooling situation right now. I have a space air conditioner for that room on top of the comfort air conditioner but with the amount of rigs I have and how hot it is in Florida it still runs nice. In comparison my 6 gpu open air rigs run at about 72 while getting 160 Mh/s in eth and about 4800 Mh/s in decred while dual mining. I will take the 4U rack mountable ones over open air rigs. It is literally proven air flow practices that have been employed by data centers for decades so there is no difference with GPU's. People don't do it because there is extra cost but if you are doing a larger deployment it is worth it to maximize floor space and to have the most efficient cooling system with cold aisle hot aisle alignment. If you are simply mining out of your home or you are running a small operation then it may or may not be worth it to you. I know that when I move to a warehouse I am either purchasing from bitworks or creating my own rack mountable rigs in the case of making some more nvidia rigs with the 1070's.
Activity: 211
Yeah, I don't support shutting down competition unless they actually are stealing intellectual property that is backed by actual law and evidence.  You don't get to steal other peoples work and pass it off as your own, but I don't know enough about that situation to really comment one way or the other. Competition is what makes market better and I will always lean towards more competition than not.  Thanks for making me aware of that so I can take it into account.

If you have a lot of open space then open air rigs definately make more sense.  Racks and enclosures with tightly controlled air flow were specifically designed for very high density and packing as much per square foot in a data center as possible.  It really has to be decided on a case by case basis as to its cost effectiveness.
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.

In the EU, I'd stick with something like this: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-gpu-server-cases-1921659 or even with a locally created solution.

Comments like these and the price difference really leaves a bad taste in my mouth from the creator of those cases you linked:

For those interested in where this guys is ripping his design off of, check out:

Yeah, they call this competition.. I saw somewhere a guy making these out of wood for $50.

Supply/demand drives the market. Monopolies are mostly beneficial to the business owner.

Actually it's called theft of intellectual property.  We've already shut down two groups in the US that tried to copy our design.  Luckily for this guy he's outside the US and thus difficult to go after legally.

This is basic data center / server design used in EVERY data center in existence.  There's a reason it's done this way with literally millions of servers around the world.  Adding GPUs doesn't change the way air flow and cooling works and this setup is very efficient because you can concentrate and control airflow.  Combined with a hot/cold aisle and you really can't get more efficient than this design.  Open air will ALWAYS be less efficient because air cannot be controlled so it only passes over the hardware a single time before being exhausted.

With that said, I use open air frames for my rigs because it is sufficient for my needs.  If I'm able to move to a dedicated space, I would absolutely use racks with hot/cold aisles in order to maximize efficiency of cooling.  A lot of money can be saved with this over the long term, but as usual, initial cost can be higher.

I have plenty of space which is why I'm not convinced that I should swap to 4U rack cases and looking for some figures regarding card temps.
Activity: 304
Activity: 59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wS-KskMVjU

If you have a chance, join the livestream this Saturday around 7pm CST

Covering Q&A and showing the results of the 4 builds

It's very nice . I really like this rig.
Many people are investing much money to this rig and it seems all GPU cards are very scarce in the market.
This is basic data center / server design used in EVERY data center in existence.  There's a reason it's done this way with literally millions of servers around the world.  Adding GPUs doesn't change the way air flow and cooling works and this setup is very efficient because you can concentrate and control airflow.  Combined with a hot/cold aisle and you really can't get more efficient than this design.  Open air will ALWAYS be less efficient because air cannot be controlled so it only passes over the hardware a single time before being exhausted.

With that said, I use open air frames for my rigs because it is sufficient for my needs.  If I'm able to move to a dedicated space, I would absolutely use racks with hot/cold aisles in order to maximize efficiency of cooling.  A lot of money can be saved with this over the long term, but as usual, initial cost can be higher.
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
I can 100% confirm that the 4U cases mean that temperatures are lower and fans are more efficient. Although the cards are close together, you are also to concentrate your airflow. My earlier rigs which are the stereotypical 6 gpu open air rigs run at 65-72 degrees but my 8 gpu rigs in 4U rack mountable cases run at 55 degrees or so. The rack mountable cases also allow for the ability to control airflow in a larger mining farm. This means you can utilize hot aisle cold aisle cooling scheme which will greatly increase cooling efficiency if you use a CRAC unit as opposed to the fans that most people use.

Interesting.

My cards are in an open frame rigs with ~2" or ~5 cm between cards with one massive fan blowing at them from a few meters.

Dust is an issue here so I'd like to move to filtered close cases like these racks but I have no experience with them and I'm skeptical about the temps being lower, or even just the same.

Activity: 140
Where is a reliable place to get those 4u cases?
Activity: 406
I can 100% confirm that the 4U cases mean that temperatures are lower and fans are more efficient. Although the cards are close together, you are also to concentrate your airflow. My earlier rigs which are the stereotypical 6 gpu open air rigs run at 65-72 degrees but my 8 gpu rigs in 4U rack mountable cases run at 55 degrees or so. The rack mountable cases also allow for the ability to control airflow in a larger mining farm. This means you can utilize hot aisle cold aisle cooling scheme which will greatly increase cooling efficiency if you use a CRAC unit as opposed to the fans that most people use.

the only difference that i see is that the hot air from the cpu don't go toward the gpu which is the case for the open air, for the remaining stuff the gpu setup with frontal fan is identical in both cases, hence i can't think why it should be different
Pages:
Jump to: