Pages:
Author

Topic: 24 word seed question : is splitting it in half dangerous? - page 2. (Read 2221 times)

Activity: 204
Merit: 100
Hi - thanks. I understand the risks in terms of splitting up paper etc, just wondering about the technical side of it.

So basically if someone finds half of my 12 word seed, I am still as protected as if I just had a normal 12 word seed? They still have to brute force something that is not brute forceable?
Activity: 758
Merit: 606
Having the first 12 words will not mathematically assist someone in discovering the remaining 12 words.  However; you have to consider that you are now twice as likely to lose your seed words since you are protecting two sheets of paper instead of one.  Of course it is obvious that it would be more difficult for a "bad guy" to get the correct 24 words from total scratch.  I just mean the words are not related where the first 12 go in a formula to work out the last 12.  It might be easier to swap out 3 of the 24 words with fake but still in the legal wallet list of words.  Now you simply swap the correct 3 words back to restore the wallet.  I don't like any of these ideas because they are error prone.
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
Hi,

If I have a 24 word seed, and I split it into 2 - 12 and 12
If an attacker somehow finds either the first 12 words or the 2nd 12 words, is there anyway they can use that to easily derive/find the second 12 words? or am I as safe as If I simply had a 12 word seed (which many wallets use?)

Basically do the 2 halves in any way relate / help to derive each other, or do I retain half the entropy with half the seed? and does it matter if its the half including the checksum (can that be used in anyway to derive / guess what words it could be?)

Thanks  

*if this is wrong forum / somewhere better to ask please advise.
Pages:
Jump to: