Pages:
Author

Topic: 240v Garage Setup Electrical Help - page 2. (Read 241 times)

Activity: 544
Merit: 589
October 23, 2021, 07:47:43 PM
Well at least go take a look at the transformer on the pole, they are normally marked with the KVA rating of the transformer. If it's under 40KVA you may have issues.
Activity: 10
Merit: 1
October 23, 2021, 07:43:29 PM
Well, since my buddy doesn't know about bitcoin mining, and didnt seem to interested in listen about them... Maybe I should of worded my request differently. I should of asked for help on the setup. He said he knows how to do the box and everything, but do i want outlets, or pdu. I seen people have an ac display meter, where does that go before or after breaker box.

I'm looking to setup some s17s up to 10. So basically, its just add breaker box, i can add ac display meter, what gauge wires for outlet 8,10 gauges? then just a Basic 200V-240V/30A, (10) Outlets pdu? Not other goodies? I just mine with gpus till now.

what about a fused disconnect box like what you would use for a hot tub: that be for extra safety?

Also i asked the electric guy when he came over several times about drawing 30k watts, he kind of blew off and was like it will be fine, that why i kept asking. I think cause the way my lot is setup (double lot), we have a transformer that is being unused, lucky me.

You are lucky that you have an unused transformer, so you can get 30 kW, of course, if you agree with the power company. This company will install the main input circuit breaker for you (with your requests, it would be better if a 3-phase 63A). The rest of the wiring can be done by your electrician.
Where're you from?
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
October 23, 2021, 07:21:34 PM
Well, since my buddy doesn't know about bitcoin mining, and didnt seem to interested in listen about them... Maybe I should of worded my request differently. I should of asked for help on the setup. He said he knows how to do the box and everything, but do i want outlets, or pdu. I seen people have an ac display meter, where does that go before or after breaker box.

I'm looking to setup some s17s up to 10. So basically, its just add breaker box, i can add ac display meter, what gauge wires for outlet 8,10 gauges? then just a Basic 200V-240V/30A, (10) Outlets pdu? Not other goodies? I just mine with gpus till now.

what about a fused disconnect box like what you would use for a hot tub: that be for extra safety?

Also i asked the electric guy when he came over several times about drawing 30k watts, he kind of blew off and was like it will be fine, that why i kept asking. I think cause the way my lot is setup (double lot), we have a transformer that is being unused, lucky me.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
October 23, 2021, 06:40:23 PM
If you are having the power company bring in new service for your miners, you should let them know that you expect to be using 30KW continuously.

This sounds so strange to me lol, But I understand why. In my not so "capitalism friendly country" electricity is subsidized, it's super cheap that the peak and continuous load is almost identical, in the summer, ACs will be on 24/7, and in the winter electric heaters are on almost 24/7 too, so when the power company install any transformer or wiring, you never hear them talk about what's peak and whats continuous, it's crazy when I compare the situation here to the other countries.

Also another note, I see people in telegram talk about having 277v, not sure if that's just in the U.S or elsewhere, but that 277v range isn't mining-friendly either, many folks are stuck with 1-2 MicroBT models that can take 277v.
Activity: 544
Merit: 589
October 23, 2021, 06:24:14 PM
If you are having the power company bring in new service for your miners, you should let them know that you expect to be using 30KW continuously. At least in the US, standard residential service that gets installed these days is 240V 200A. But if you actually tried to use close to the full 200A continuously you'd probably end up killing power to your whole block... they only size the transformers for average use, and the transformer that you are likely sharing with multiple neighbors probably can't handle even a single house using all of its 200A continuously. 30KW might use up nearly all the continuous capacity of the transformer you and your neighbors are sharing. Big difference between peak and continuous.

Also, if you are lucky enough to have 3 phase power available at your pole, you may be able to get a cheaper commercial rate. Where I live it costs less than half of the residential rate to get 3 phase commercial.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
October 23, 2021, 06:09:37 PM
and my friend is an professional electrician, but he knows nothing about mining.
Yeah few do.

The main point to say is that current draw/current drop can be vast if e.g. the internet goes down, or when power comes on after an outage.
Consider it like factory machinery running 35kW but can go all on and all off at the same time.

However, the other big difference is that it will draw that power 24/7 non-stop when there are no problems, unlike most circuits anyone sets up.
So certainly the circuit must not be designed like a typical circuit assuming that peaks are rare.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
October 23, 2021, 05:55:34 PM
my friend is an professional electrician, but he knows nothing about mining.

Well, there is nothing special about ASIC miners when it comes to electrical wiring, your friend needs to follow the same set of principles he follows elsewhere, you just have to give him the key information needed to run the miners and that will depend on what type of miners you are trying to put in that farm.

Bitmain gears (ignoring the old models) all use two C13 cables and consume on average 3kw, Whatsminer on the other hand, uses a single C19 connector and consumes anywhere between 3kw to 3.5kw depending on the exact model and the efficiency within the same model.

The majority of these ASIC miners are voltage sensitive, so if you are not sure about the stability of the voltage, you might ask him to install some sort of voltage protectors to avoid PSU damage.

The MCBs / fuses sizes and all the wiring will depend on the code of your country.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
October 23, 2021, 02:37:03 PM
Looking to put my farm in the garage, power company is coming to run a line straight from the pole, and my friend is an professional electrician, but he knows nothing about mining.
Wanted to know what options, maybe kits or parts, fuse box, pdu, outlet, cable, AC display Meter and all that extra stuff for mining to buy for a setup of eventually 10 ascii miners 240v pulling max 3000,3600W (calculate over 20% to be safe), or just 9 if it too high.  Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: