Pages:
Author

Topic: 3 motherboards fried trying to get a 7th GPU work - page 2. (Read 2011 times)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
How did you determine the mobo was fried?
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
You attached the risers wrong

The data cables or USB cables were in the 1x pcie slots backwards

Been there done that.

You should read my thread here I have great 3 card riser free board builds

How is that possible to plug them in backwards?

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
You attached the risers wrong

The data cables or USB cables were in the 1x pcie slots backwards

Been there done that.

You should read my thread here I have great 3 card riser free board builds
Activity: 159
Merit: 108
Did the system work with the 6 GPUs prior to adding the 7th?

Is there any chance that ANY of the cables connected to the PSU are not Corsair PSU cables even if they look the same?

Use a multi meter and check the output at the cable end and see everyone has the voltage and polarity that it should.

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
I read this just as I'm about to turn on my MSI Z170a M5 for the first time....... Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
I don't get the 6-pin splitted to feed risers.

The 6-pin or 8-pin cables that you plug into the GPUs only carry 12V but the riser also needs some of the 5V feed included in SATA/molex.
Edit: nevermind I see there are risers that only take 6-pins and stepping the 12V down.

Whatever the case might be, I think either the PSU is faulty or something is very wrong since I never heard people also frying stuff like CPU/RAM/disks with the motherboard.

I'd be curious to see some pictures.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Hi all,

I have some Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB cards with a custom bios. PSU is HXi 1200 from Corsair. 6 of them are connected through 006C risers and the risers get their power directly on their 6-pins using Corsair's cables and some good quality splitters I got. It's basically one0 6 pin from the PSU cable, to one 6 pin to 2 - 6 pin splitter that only power the risers. The GPUs all have their own power cables.

I tried adding the 7th GPU, which had it's own cable for the GPU and from the same cable, it also powered the riser (the PSU cable had two 6 pins). Trying to start it, it fried the mobo (MSI Z170A Gaming M5). I thought there was some kind of bad luck, so, I used some of the mobos I had for the next rigs, I changed the PSU cable and the riser, but trying the same thing on two more Gaming M5s, resulted in the same thing. They get fried. Along with them, it killed the DRAM, the disk and also the CPU. The CPU wasn't completely fried but it wasn't functioning properly so I had to write that off.

Does anyone have any clue what might be happening? I'm afraid to try again as I fire I'm going to fry more stuff. Any ideas are welcome.
Pages:
Jump to: