Pages:
Author

Topic: 300 Bitcoin Berkshire Hathaway bet (Read 3618 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
March 17, 2014, 05:26:58 PM
Well that does make sense who will escrow the Berkshire A Share
Escrowing the Bitcoins seems like the easier of the two

If we're betting 300 v 300 coins I think it is a pointless wager for him since he thinks they are going to drop in price anyways. I'll let you all know if this ends up getting finalized, he's visiting a lawyer later this week.  

Thanks for clarifying and if a lawyer is involved that reduces the chances of them defaulting on the bet
When it comes due the wager result will be interesting and become part of the annals of Bitcoin history a year from now regardless of outcome.
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
March 17, 2014, 01:56:39 PM

If we're betting 300 v 300 coins I think it is a pointless wager for him since he thinks they are going to drop in price anyways. I'll let you all know if this ends up getting finalized, he's visiting a lawyer later this week. 
legendary
March 16, 2014, 11:57:33 PM
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
March 16, 2014, 10:10:30 PM
Decided to post this here as the gambling section is over-run by ponzi scams.

Essentially a redditor is willing to bet 300BTC against 1 share of BRK-A (~$183k) that the one share will be worth more than 300BTC.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/20gkdx/legitimate_wager_300_bitcoins_vs_1_class_a_share/

I've commented here and sent him an email showing my interest in his offer with a few modifications. Seems like fairly good odds?

I'm also willing to double-down and offer this deal to Warren Buffet himself with profits going to charity if he somehow sees this, I doubt he even uses the internet though. It isn't much money to him, but who doesn't love winning?

This is a good bet I would support your decision on it might be a popular wager
AS for the spread odds

Hmm I had 2000 at end of year

March of 2015 hmm 2250

His calculation is at $610 so I would take the bet

Somehow i think he will weasel out of the bet...... This would be a great example of colored coins,.... anyone?
legendary
March 16, 2014, 09:36:19 PM

Essentially a redditor is willing to bet 300BTC against 1 share of BRK-A (~$183k) that the one share will be worth more than 300BTC.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/20gkdx/legitimate_wager_300_bitcoins_vs_1_class_a_share/

I've commented here and sent him an email showing my interest in his offer with a few modifications. Seems like fairly good odds?

I'm also willing to double-down and offer this deal to Warren Buffet himself with profits going to charity if he somehow sees this, I doubt he even uses the internet though. It isn't much money to him, but who doesn't love winning?

This is a good bet I would support your decision on it might be a popular wager
AS for the spread odds

Hmm I had 2000 at end of year

March of 2015 hmm 2250

His calculation is at $610 so I would take the bet
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
March 16, 2014, 08:34:31 PM
I wonder if the market, or well-connected whales, could decide the outcome of this bet with a swift move in the price just before the deadline.

Certainly an interesting stunt in favour of promoting both parties hehe.
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
March 16, 2014, 08:17:19 PM
So this dude has 300 BTC to bet and he doesn't even believe that it they will continue to increase in value?

That's depressing

Right.  Reddit OP agrees with Buffet that Bitcoin is a mirage, yet he makes a wager to earn Bitcoins.

So in his mind he risks Berkshire Hathaway class b shares but stands to gain valueless bitcoin.  Either its a scam or poor wagering as risk/reward is way out of whack.

You have a poor reading skill dont you?

LOL!  Sorry.  I'm not taking the bait, troll.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
March 16, 2014, 07:12:57 PM

Nice!!
March 16, 2014, 06:22:11 PM
I think you guys are missing a very plausible alternative and that's that the OP (on Reddit) has a few thousand BTC, say 3,000.

So you have 2 cases to consider:

1. 300 BTC is gonna be worth less than 1x BRK.A/B share - OP (on Reddit) will lose 300 BTC (10% of his total) and that's it (BTC value shouldn't drop from losing to BRK as it's the king of the hill).

or

2. 300 BTC will surpass 1x BRK.A/B share in value and since OP (on Reddit) will also have a PR event alongside that, it's quite plausible that this will get the BTC value to skyrocket as it has just beaten BRK as an investment option.

Just doesn't make sense to me that he accepts BTC if he wages against it unless he has a lot to gain from him "losing" (BTC winning) the bet.

He doesnt accept BTC if he wins, Can you just fcking read the damn post?

I'm tired of idiots that dont even have reading comprehension.

He put his 300 BTC  on the table and asking the counter party putting 1 share of BRK.A

If he wins, he wins the share,
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
March 16, 2014, 06:17:00 PM
I think you guys are missing a very plausible alternative and that's that the OP (on Reddit) has a few thousand BTC, say 3,000.

1. 300 BTC is gonna be worth less than 1x BRK.A/B share - OP (on Reddit) will lose 300 BTC (10% of his total) and that's it (BTC value shouldn't drop from losing to BRK as it's the king of the hill).

or

2. 300 BTC will surpass 1x BRK.A/B share in value and since OP (on Reddit) will also have a PR event alongside that, it's quite plausible that this will get the BTC value to skyrocket as it has just beaten BRK as an investment option.

Just doesn't make sense to me that he accepts BTC if he wages against it unless he has a lot to gain from him "losing" (BTC winning) the bet.

We're negotiating to most likely do 300 BTC vs 300 BTC.

1k BTC bet so far against Berkshire being the better investment in a year's time on BitBet, with discussion here.

Very cool but this would only interest me if there was 1000BTC bet on the other side.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
March 16, 2014, 11:14:44 AM

or

Activity: 536
March 16, 2014, 10:53:03 AM
So this dude has 300 BTC to bet and he doesn't even believe that it they will continue to increase in value?

That's depressing

Right.  Reddit OP agrees with Buffet that Bitcoin is a mirage, yet he makes a wager to earn Bitcoins.

So in his mind he risks Berkshire Hathaway class b shares but stands to gain valueless bitcoin.  Either its a scam or poor wagering as risk/reward is way out of whack.

Except it's opposite.
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
March 16, 2014, 10:04:12 AM

1k BTC bet so far against Berkshire being the better investment in a year's time on BitBet, with discussion here.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
March 16, 2014, 09:40:39 AM
Yeah, if anyone has any way to reach his assistants please let me know.

My suggestion would be to get out a pen and paper, and write a few letters the old-fashioned way.

This bet does not work for bitcoin but instead against. Hopelessly confusing. Anonymous person who might at some point reveal who they are. escrows. No clear definition what the winner gets ( left as a quess ). Two bets with possibly opposing terms ( not actually specified at all for the smaller one). At least for the bigger bet there is confusion because collaterals are made the opposite direction related to the actual bet. 10 times too much questionable stuff to make anybodys head spin. Anybody that thinks bitcoin is shady business is going to get just more confirmation to his beliefs from this 'bet'.

Definitely not something Buffet would like to have anything to do with and he might find it offensive his name is dragged into something without his approval. This is not a way to get into the good books on anybody on wallstreet.

Well, in order for him to get upset for having his name dragged into this then his name should be spelled correctly Wink
It is Buffett <---- notice the two T, Buffet is what you have when you go to receptions or parties, it's the table that has all the good stuff you chew on Smiley

Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
March 16, 2014, 05:14:43 AM

My suggestion would be to get out a pen and paper, and write a few letters the old-fashioned way.

This bet does not work for bitcoin but instead against. Hopelessly confusing. Anonymous person who might at some point reveal who they are. escrows. No clear definition what the winner gets ( left as a quess ). Two bets with possibly opposing terms ( not actually specified at all for the smaller one). At least for the bigger bet there is confusion because collaterals are made the opposite direction related to the actual bet. 10 times too much questionable stuff to make anybodys head spin. Anybody that thinks bitcoin is shady business is going to get just more confirmation to his beliefs from this 'bet'.

Definitely not something Buffet would like to have anything to do with and he might find it offensive his name is dragged into something without his approval. This is not a way to get into the good books on anybody on wallstreet.

March 16, 2014, 04:24:29 AM

That's depressing

You have a poor reading skill dont you?

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
March 16, 2014, 02:39:20 AM

Activity: 231
Merit: 100
March 15, 2014, 08:38:15 PM

That's depressing

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
dafar consulting
March 15, 2014, 06:33:22 PM

That's depressing
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
March 15, 2014, 06:12:22 PM

I hope you are able to bet, this will be fun to watch.
Pages:
Jump to: